Re: Barcode placement on videos

Jan Derks (jderks@ald.lib.co.us)
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:36:51 -0800 (PST)

One of our libraries recently began using a 3M self-checkout machine (model
6210). The only AV that this machine checks out is videos and I don't have a
clue as to how this avoids demagnetizing videos and tattle tape. Staff still
check out all AV at our other branches.
In any public library I've ever worked in, the time-and-motion required, the
lack of staff and the busy nature of Circ desks make it very costly to use
closed stacks or to separate videos and cases. This is also true for music
CDs, DVDs and any other potentially high-theft item. We've tried different
methods in less-busy branches., such as inserting music CDs in jewel cases at
checkout. It's too time-intensive. The most efficient way is to keep the case
and item together. The amount of theft we have is still less expensive than a
closed stack system in terms of staff hours required but then we don't buy the
variety of the more-costly videos needed in an academic setting.
Jan Derks