Re: Barcode placement on videos

Jan Derks (jderks@ald.lib.co.us)
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:49:27 -0800 (PST)

We have the same issue, too. When we began patron self-checkout we put barcodes
on the front exterior of all materials - books, videos, audiocassettes, CD-Roms,
etc., but staff still need to make sure the case and contents barcodes match.
The case with a slot, if such a case exists, would seem to solve the video
problem but not the situation for music CDs, DVDs, or any item with mutiple
parts, such as an audiocassette set. An unattractive alternative would be to
have clear cases through which the barcode and titles could be read and
electronically checked in. Of course, doing this means you do away with the
artwork That's a more unacceptable alternative in a public library than it would
be in a school or academic setting. Am eager to hear other ideas on this issue.
Jan Derks