Re: permission for film clips

Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:23:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi Lori,

My 2 cents is that if that situation doesn't fall under the heading of "fair
use," then I don't know what does.

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270
vidlib@videolibrarian.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Lori Stevens <Stevenlo@uvsc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 10:01 AM
Subject: permission for film clips

> Hello all,
> I don't mean to open another can of worms, and since I am fairly new to
this list you may have already resolved it, but here goes:

> The library here would like to sponser a program (that would be free of
charge but open to the public as well as the school community) featuring a
local film scholar talking about the role Utah has played in the motion
picture industry. We would like to augment his remarks with 1-2 minute
clips from the films he will be referring to.
> The million dollar question is this: since we are showing a brief
excerpt of the work, do we need to secure permission from all of the
copyright holders?

> I am finding all sorts of responses in the literature, I guess I am taking
the lazy man's way out, but does anyone out there know FOR SURE? I have
lots of opinions, I need a definitive answer.