Re: PUBLIC PERFORMANCE NOTES

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:52:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Lloyd, Not to worry. Currently, I'm the Library Director of a 70,000
vol.+ public library in South Dakota. We have a video collection of about
3500 titles and we do put a 690 subject field in the OCLC/MARC bib record
indicating public performance titles - Public performance rights
videorecordings. I've been an AV librarian for 19 years in medium-sized
city libraries with 20,000 video collections, system libraries with 40,000
video collections, etc. and I've always kept track of PP videos by subject.
I've also been in charge of cataloging those collections and listing PP is
a GREAT advantage to the public and to in-house use. Also, it is an extra
hedge against illegal use - no one can saw that they were not informed as
to the rights utilization, if a court case would materialize. This allows
patrons to access an alphabetical title listing by that subject, keyword
and its used a lot by teachers and groups. Your perceptions of
nontheatrical public performance rights might be a little askew - you're
right that PP rights are granted by the producer/distributor on a per title
basis, but most of the time titles from educational distributors come with
public performance rights anyway - no need to pay extra money. Also, the
ISBN # for the pp version, as well as the distributor is different; hence a
totally different bib record. Take for example the Turner PBS Home Video
line - all home use only; but PBS does dist. all of those titles with PP
rights - instead of $19.95, they are $49.95 +. Sometimes price is not an
indicator and even the OCLC bib record is incorrect - take Questar, Finley
Holiday, and IVN titles - they all come with PP rights and are only $9.95 -
$39.95. Many of the OCLC bibs say in a note field 500 - for private home
use only, when they indeed have PP rights. To tell you the truth, the
positive PR you'll get from having this extra subject heading will outweigh
the recataloging mess - just make sure the video dept. markets it to
teachers, etc. Also, the in cases of lost/damaged/extra copies, it should
be the video selector's responsibility to make sure they get the SAME
video, including same rights. Just my 2 worth. Jim Scholtz. At 05:24 PM