Re: Catalogs

Beth Hansen (ehhan@conncoll.edu)
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:23:29 -0800 (PST)

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01BF6BE5.CB73A5E0

Jan,
We continue to keep a limited paper file of catalogs to supplement =
our growing list of "bookmarks" on my machine! I selectively go through =
my mail and retain only those which are likely to be of use to the =
faculty. I tend to discard the generic catalogs and retain those that =
are from independent filmmakers, such as Women Make Movies, California =
Newsreel, the University of California Extension...... and of course, =
Facets (despite their online catalog)! I'm pretty ruthless, and discard =
a large percentage of what arrives before they ever make it back to my =
office! For better or worse, I also keep a full range of Film for the =
Humanities catalogs... they're a good starting place for new faculty. I =
should also mention that there are some catalogs that I may or may not =
retain, but always go through to see their new releases..... including =
Kino and Milestone. I'm still a bit of a visual learner!
Best of luck! Cheer,
Beth =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Jan Derks=20
To: Multiple recipients of list=20
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 8:12 AM
Subject: Catalogs

Am interested in how you deal with the many catalogs you receive on a =
regular basis - especially with companies who have catalog access on =
their website. It seems like a full-time job trying to handle, file and =
weed catalogs! How do you decide which catalogs to keep and how to file =
them? I currently file "subject-specific" catalogs by subject and =
shelve catalogs that cover a variety of subject areas by company name. =
Am reluctant to throw paper catalogs away when that company may have =
what I need, if it's an area that I've not ordered in before. Do you =
USE catalogs? Do you index companies by the subjects they represent and =
just call them when you need a video on a subject? Do you bookmark your =
favorite companies? Do you just use Bowker's Complete Video Directory =
or another source to find what you need? When you get a catalog, do you =
immediately file it or do you look through it before filing it? Would =
love ideas on ways to handle catalog mail more efficiently.=20
Thanks in advance!=20
Jan Derks=20
Arapahoe Library District, Littleton, CO=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01BF6BE5.CB73A5E0

Jan,
   We continue to keep a limited paper = file of=20 catalogs to supplement our growing list of "bookmarks" on my = machine!  I=20 selectively go through my mail and retain only those which are = likely to be=20 of use to the faculty.  I tend to discard the generic catalogs and = retain=20 those that are from independent filmmakers, such as Women Make = Movies,=20 California Newsreel, the University of California=20 Extension...... and of course, Facets (despite their online=20 catalog)!  I'm pretty ruthless, and discard a large percentage = of what=20 arrives before they ever make it back to my office!  For = better or=20 worse, I also keep a full range of Film for the Humanities catalogs... = they're a=20 good starting place for new faculty.  I should also mention that = there are=20 some catalogs that I may or may not retain, but always go through to see = their=20 new releases..... including Kino and Milestone.  I'm still a bit of = a=20 visual learner!
        =     Best=20 of luck!  Cheer,
        =    =20 Beth