RE: DVD Storage

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:54:44 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:35:41 -0800 (PST) "Tatar, Becky"
<bltata@aurora.lib.il.us> wrote:

> Sue, we don't have DVD yet, but based on experience with other packaging
> that is not designed for extensive public use, I would say change the
> packaging. Put the materials in something that will hold up. Otherwise, in
> the not too distant future, you will be looking at package repair, or
> replacement. Do it now, and don't mess with it. Now, if there is print
> material with the DVD, I don't know what to say. The only DVDs I have seen
> are in shrink wrap in the stores!

Sue,

I'm inclined to agree with Becky at this time: change the
DVD packaging. I know colleagues who are circulating them
in their original packaging right now--either cardboard
cases, or the plastic "keep cases" as they're commonly
called--but I have some misgivings about their durability
and practical problems in the longer term. In addition, one
form of the "keep case" has a particularly troublesome hub
mechanism to hold the DVD: if you are not careful in
squeezing the hub prongs properly to release the disc, you
can easily break it. And this form of keep case is
increasingly common when that sort of packaging is used
instead of the cardboard.

Right now, we're following a packaging practice we
initiated for our CD-ROMs: We use a jewel case, held in the
kind of case holder that comes as either a 3-ring binder
page insert or can actually be glued onto the back cover of
the binder. The printed literature coming with the DVD goes
in transparent pages included in the binder. For most DVDs
that are not multiple discs, we use half-inch binders.

This solution is perhaps troublesome for someone with space
problems, since it takes up extra shelving to do it this
way. We don't have that problem at present, though. And the
packaging seems to be working well enough with users. I
also like the possible benefit of distinguishing, by
virtue of this variant packaging, a collection in a popular
format that's meant for academic purposes primarily. We're
not a video rental store--with all the same expectations
(some of them negative to our service goals--that go with
treating our collections as if we were, and the
different packaging only reinforces the impression that
we're not. At least that's my take and philosophy.

My main concern right now is the long-term durability of
the DVDs themselves....

Jeff

Jeff Clark
James Madison Univ.