RE: Director's Cut question

Pennington, Buddy (buddy.pennington@Rockhurst.edu)
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:49:45 -0800 (PST)

I agree that the director's cut of Blade Runner is way better than the
studio version. In fact, it is the one I have at home and the one I argued
for in a films class where we watched Blade Runner for our science fiction
films section. And since I don't want to bogart this discussion, I will
shut up now.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library
buddy.pennington@rockhurst.edu
#816-501-4143

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Dew [mailto:mdew@post.cis.smu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 12:25 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Director's Cut question

F.Y.I. on the director's cut of Bladerunner---
In the (non-voice-over) director's version, there is a crucial dream
sequence involving a unicorn that was cut from the "studio" version
when it was first released. This dream sequence provided a link to
the one of the origami figures (a unicorn) which was fashioned by the
detective who was hunting down Rachel and, later, also Deckard.
When I saw the re-released director's cut in the theatre, I had an
"aha!" experience. Why on earth the studio cut the dream sequence
from the first version, I cannot say, but i think the original film
made less sense (and, no-- i was not bogarting anything at the
time...)

M.A.Dew
Southern Methodist University
Center for Media and IT
103C Fondren Library West
Dallas, TX 75275
<mdew@mail.smu.edu>
www.smu.edu/cul/ncmit

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits
with my net income."
-Errol Flynn