RE: Director's Cut question

Pennington, Buddy (
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:49:45 -0800 (PST)

I agree that the director's cut of Blade Runner is way better than the
studio version. In fact, it is the one I have at home and the one I argued
for in a films class where we watched Blade Runner for our science fiction
films section. And since I don't want to bogart this discussion, I will
shut up now.

Buddy Pennington
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Rockhurst University Greenlease Library

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Dew []
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 12:25 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Director's Cut question

F.Y.I. on the director's cut of Bladerunner---
In the (non-voice-over) director's version, there is a crucial dream
sequence involving a unicorn that was cut from the "studio" version
when it was first released. This dream sequence provided a link to
the one of the origami figures (a unicorn) which was fashioned by the
detective who was hunting down Rachel and, later, also Deckard.
When I saw the re-released director's cut in the theatre, I had an
"aha!" experience. Why on earth the studio cut the dream sequence
from the first version, I cannot say, but i think the original film
made less sense (and, no-- i was not bogarting anything at the

Southern Methodist University
Center for Media and IT
103C Fondren Library West
Dallas, TX 75275

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits
with my net income."
-Errol Flynn