RE: Audiobook Security Cases

Kirsten Corning (kcorning@spokpl.lib.wa.us)
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:10:58 -0800 (PST)

With all of our videos, music cd and music cassettes we use kwik cases
http://www.gresscoltd.com/kwik.html this allows us a live inventory. Our
circulation staff loves them. They are very easy to open and close.
However, they don't make a case for audiobooks. I've been told with all of
the assorted sizes audiobooks come in it hasn't been worth the cost for them
to develop one. We seem to have a problem of people removing all of the
tapes from box and leaving the box on the shelf. The favorites seem to be
the unabridged 8-18 tape sets from recorded books, books on tape, and
brilliance. About 10% of the time they show up in another branches book
drop 2 months later. I'm not very concerned about abridged audiobooks.
They really aren't worth the added security cost. However, the unabridged
do concern me. However, at our current loss rate, shelving behind the desk
or repackaging isn't cost effective.

Thanks for all of the input,

Kirsten