Re: deserted islands

Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:15:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Milos,

First of all, let's hear it for treadmills: great for offsetting the
excesses of holiday Saturnalian revelry *and* spurring the often sticky
wheels of cogitation. Earlier this week while jogging 4 m.p.h. on a 5%
incline (and feeling every %), I fell into a 60s-type meditation (sans any
drugs other than endorphins) on the amazing progress civilisation has made
in the the past century. In particular, I was reflecting on 1) Rand
think-tanker Francis Fukuyama's observations on the widespread growth of
liberal democracy in the 20th century, 2) the great achievements of the
civil rights movement during the past 40 years, and 3) the so-called
disintegration of the family and general social fabric (led, in part, by
television).

And this is what struck me: The world did not suddenly develop a liberal
democratic woody over the writings of John Locke, W.E.B. Du Bois did not
oust Jacqueline Susann from the bestseller lists of the late '60s, and the
family (for all its admitted strengths) can be awfully insular (some of the
descendants of the Hatfields and McCoys eventually came to the realization
that there was more to life than swigging moonshine and swapping lead on the
front porch, but I seriously doubt that the exodus began with reading Thomas
Wolfe).

To paraphrase Beaumont, Cocteau, and--most recently--Disney: "Twas TV killed
the (fill-in-the-blank) Beast." Of course, I'm speaking of television here
in a broad sense, both as content and conduit, so it would be more accurate
to say "visual media." This is, I think, *the* big story of the 20th
century, but we tend to take it for granted and it will be up to future
generations to point out the incredible strides humankind took between
1950-2000, in part at least due to the widespread broadcast of political,
social and cultural "narratives" told in the nigh universal language of
visual media.

Ok, I'm going to step away from the coffeepot now and get on to more
relevant matters such as reviewing geranium starter videos.

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW