Re: core list

Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:06:57 -0800 (PST)

This does raise an interesting point: are we aiming at The People's Choice
or some Idealized List in the Sky.

At the risk of forsaking my populist roots (aw hell, I forsook em' about
the time bell bottoms went out of style, I'm afraid) I'd say I'm more
interested in the latter than the former. A core list is not a popularity
contest: it's an attempt to define a kind of bibliographic or videographic
canon...a carefully circumscribed list of essentials based on commonly
agreed upon set of criteria (in this case, it's the implicit or explicit
values of seasoned video librarians). I realize that this is a tough order
for video, and that the popular and the canonical are not mutually
exclusive (and that building collections in a void is a real danger).
Nonetheless, let's aim for the ideal in a not-so-ideal world...

Gary