Re: DVD Market Penetration

Fri, 7 Jan 2000 07:45:07 -0800 (PST)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (record? what's that), I'm
resending stat from a recent industry analyst report re DVD growth...we
ain't taking about media greyzones anymore, Toto; we be staring at the
mainstream:

Hi folks!

In my frantic desire to justify buying ten new DVD players ("cheapie" Sony
DVP S330's about $250 a pop...if you care), I began nosing around industry
other trade sources in search of indicators of the viability of this
medium. Some interesting stats from an Oct. 18, 1999 Phillips Businss
Information report:

Projected growth of DVD Content and Devices:

DVD Discs in U.S. and Europe for '99 -- 77 million units (sold)
DVD Discs expected by 20002 -- more than 2 billion units (sold)
Worldwide DVD Devices for 99' -- 17 million (sold)(I think this may include
DVD-ROM drives as well as DVD players)
Worldwide DVD Devices expected by 2005 - 144 million (sold)

The August 16, 1999 Phillips report quotes the International Recording
Media Association in its projection that "there will be nearly 25 million
DVD players and a billions discs sold worldwide by 2003

The Phillips report for May 14, 1999 indicated the following projections:

US DVD-ROM Title releases (I think this includes both movies and games?)

1998 - 100
1999 - 750
2000 - 2000
2001 - 4000