Re: "Widescreen" edition

Clark, Jeff (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:12:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:27:51 -0800 (PST) Judy Jones
<jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu> wrote:

> Apropos "letterbox" format, can anyone tell me if you buy a new
> widescreen TV if you then have black screen on the sides with
> regular TV or video viewing?

Judy,

I think this may depend upon the capabilities of the
particular widescreen TV--but this is an area I'm not
really up on.

My provisional understanding is that if the
TV is an adjustable one--i.e., the image can be resized by
a zoom function--you could either fit a normal 4:3 image to
the wider screen, with bars on the sides, or blow it up and
crop off the image's top and bottom to the 16:9 aspect
ratio of the TV. However, when you're working with a
letterboxed/widescreen TV and leave the total 4:3 image
area at full size, instead of cropping off picture at the
top and bottom the set would be more likely to crop off
only the black bars--and give you a better picture fit.

But as I say, I haven't fooled with or read much recently
on the sets currently available.

Jeff

Jeff Clark
Director