Re: Search: AIDS from a current science perspective

Nell Chenault (
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:40:48 -0800 (PST)

Happy New Year!
VCU Library's medical campus has over 100 AIDS videos. Our AIDS grant
expired last year, so not many are from the last two years. As a VIVA
member, (or any medical or academic library), you can ILL. The two
following titles may be of interest.

1. AIDS [videorecording] / Films for the Humanities and Sciences;
Production & copyright: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag. Princeton, NJ :
Films for the Humanities and Sciences, 1997.
1 videocassette (35 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
Series: Investigations in microbiology
Discusses the nature of the HIV virus and shows how it propagates by
utilizing living cells. Examines its
organization, the most prominent genes, and reverse transcription---the
process by which the virus enters the
DNA of its victim. Also discusses the prevention of the reverse trans-
cription process, the development of protease inhibitors and genetically
engineered protein vaccines as promising ways of slowing reproduction of
the AIDS virus.

2. Pathophysiology of HIV/AIDS [videorecording] / Lippincott.
Philadelphia, PA. : Lippincott-Raven, c1997.
1 videocassette (ca. 18 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in. + instructor's guide (7
p.), VHS
Lippincott's pathophysiology series / Lippincott's medical-surgical nursing
Video reviews the immune system, immunity responses, and pathophysiology of
HIV/AIDS and describes how a patient's clinical manifestations relate to
the development and progression of HIV/AIDS.

an At 10:13 AM 01/06/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>For a faculty member in our Biology dept., I'm looking for a
>current video program that treats AIDS (exclusively or
>primarily) from a scientific explanation perspective--not
>from a more generalized one while dealing with the social
>issues involved. The more up-to-date, the better. But we'll
>consider anything reasonably recent.
>Meanwhile, I've started digging here (this is a new
>request for us). Perhaps one of you can short-circuit the
>task with a suggestion already at hand.
>Thanks in advance,
>Jeff Clark
>Media Resources (MSC 1701)
>James Madison University
>540-568-6770 (voice)
>540-568-3405 (fax)

Nell J. Chenault
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473