Re: Search: AIDS from a current science perspective

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:40:48 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,
Happy New Year!
VCU Library's medical campus has over 100 AIDS videos. Our AIDS grant
expired last year, so not many are from the last two years. As a VIVA
member, (or any medical or academic library), you can ILL. The two
following titles may be of interest.

1. AIDS [videorecording] / Films for the Humanities and Sciences;
Production & copyright: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag. Princeton, NJ :
Films for the Humanities and Sciences, 1997.
1 videocassette (35 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
Series: Investigations in microbiology
Discusses the nature of the HIV virus and shows how it propagates by
utilizing living cells. Examines its
organization, the most prominent genes, and reverse transcription---the
process by which the virus enters the
DNA of its victim. Also discusses the prevention of the reverse trans-
cription process, the development of protease inhibitors and genetically
engineered protein vaccines as promising ways of slowing reproduction of
the AIDS virus.

2. Pathophysiology of HIV/AIDS [videorecording] / Lippincott.
Philadelphia, PA. : Lippincott-Raven, c1997.
1 videocassette (ca. 18 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in. + instructor's guide (7
p.), VHS
Lippincott's pathophysiology series / Lippincott's medical-surgical nursing
series
Video reviews the immune system, immunity responses, and pathophysiology of
HIV/AIDS and describes how a patient's clinical manifestations relate to
the development and progression of HIV/AIDS.

an At 10:13 AM 01/06/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>For a faculty member in our Biology dept., I'm looking for a
>current video program that treats AIDS (exclusively or
>primarily) from a scientific explanation perspective--not
>from a more generalized one while dealing with the social
>issues involved. The more up-to-date, the better. But we'll
>consider anything reasonably recent.
>
>Meanwhile, I've started digging here (this is a new
>request for us). Perhaps one of you can short-circuit the
>task with a suggestion already at hand.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jeff
>
>**********
>Jeff Clark
>Director
>Media Resources (MSC 1701)
>James Madison University
>clarkjc@jmu.edu
>540-568-6770 (voice)
>540-568-3405 (fax)

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473