Re: "Widescreen" edition

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:28:03 -0800 (PST)

Apropos "letterbox" format, can anyone tell me if you buy a new
widescreen TV if you then have black screen on the sides with
regular TV or video viewing?

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:59:19 -0800 (PST)
Jeff" <clarkjc@jmu.edu> To: Multiple recipients of list
<videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re: "Widescreen"
edition

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:01:32 -0800 (PST) Maurine Canarsky
<maurinec@muskox.alaska.edu> wrote:

> Hello Videolibbers,
> Can anyone out there please explain the difference between a
> "Widescreen" version and a regular VHS version? Is "Widescreen" the same
> as letterboxed or...?
> Confused,
> Maurine Canarsky
> Noel Wien Public Library
> 1215 Cowles St.
> Fairbanks, AK 99701
> 907-459-1020
> 907-459-1024 FAX
> maurinec@muskox.alaska.edu

Maurine,

Yes, "widescreen" in video marketing parlance normally
means the same as "letterbox". Maybe it sounds more
positive to some people who might normally get riled by
letterbox, a term more often heard. But either way, your
4:3 TV screen ends up with blank bars at the top and bottom
of its picture!

Jeff

Jeff Clark
Director