Re: Future of DVD

Jan Derks (jderks@ald.lib.co.us)
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:57:14 -0800 (PST)

Jim - Did you see that Pioneer is introducing a DVD player that also records at
this week's Electronics Technology show in Las Vegas? Pricey - but new
technology always is at first...
At this year's NMM I had several conversations with video vendors regarding
whether they planned to digitize existing video titles and what their plans
were as far as providing new titles in the DVD format. There continues to be a
"wait-and-see" attitude regarding nonfiction titles both due to cost and
perceived user interest. We're piloting a program in our main library this year
to provide feature films in the DVD format and to assess patron interest in
DVD. I'd like to hear from libraries offering or about to offer DVD (public
libraries especially) about your patron usage, how you've selected a core list
(since thousands of titles are available in DVD format) and your success with
vendors.
Jan Derks, Arapahoe Library District, Littleton, CO