Re: Date due slips

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 08:24:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Randy, We house all CDs in LIFT display units (brand name) and the
patrons really like it - they can flip through all the titles without
lifting them out. We display real boxes - not dummies and haven't had any
problems with theft. We do use a 3M security strip on the case - not the
donut on the CD (DVD's you can't use it on anyway because they play from
both sides. At the Yankton Community Library (SD) we've been replacing the
original DVD and CD jewell boxes with a softer transluscent box (purchasaed
through Specialty Store Services, Morton Grove, IL). We allow returns via
a book drop box, and have found that these cases (16 to 22 per case) work
really well - don't come open and don't break. Many of the items in
original cases are delivered, new, in broken cases. We do have to cut
labels as the new cases don't have a snap-out back flat for verso material.
As for date due slips, we use a smaller self-adhereing, easy-off label
3x1/1/2 in. label on the verso of the case (purchased from Gaylord, Demco
and Library Store) - true we have loads of id labels on the cases -
barcodes, library id labels, DDC#, and date due so often times, the
descriptive material is obfuscasated, but we've not heard any complaints
from patrons. It's not the best solution - just one that works for use
right now - in terms of security, space, money for supplies and staff
utilization. Jim Scholtz.