BTECH Minutes - 5/5/04

BERKELEY TECHNICAL SERVICES DISCUSSION GROUP MEETING MINUTES

Wednesday, May 5, 2004
9:00am to 11:00am
303 Doe Library

Announcements:

Rebecca Green announced that Collection Core Services and Serials Check-in
are collaborating on EDI claiming. This electronic claiming will be done
using the EDI claiming module on Innopac, which we utilized previously
only for RoweCom. We will start with Harrassowitz titles because they have
a relatively small clean file. This is a slow process because there is a
lot of record analysis and cleanup before we can implement the EDI
process. Harrassowitz is sending us some barcodes to add subscription ID
numbers to our records. We will see these new numbers start showing up in
the order and checkin records. Eventually you will also see a new vendor
code for the Harrassowitz orders that can be claimed via EDI. Not all
Harrassowitz orders are suitable for this process. Keep in mind that this
is still in its preliminary stage. When they are closer to actually
implementing the EDI claim process, Collection Core Services will make a
full announcement with instructions at a B-Tech meeting before
implementation. If this proves successful, the EDI claiming will expand to
SWETS and EBSCO. We will keep everyone posted on these developments.

Agenda:

1) Systems (Gladis) Update / Charis Takaro

Charis will be starting a regular feature at this and future B-Tech
meetings giving an Update on the latest things systems has been up to
relating to Gladis. The report this month was longer than it will be in
the future as she gave an update starting from the beginning of the year.
The following outline was Charis's report:

Note: this update is meant to give an overview of things the Gladis unit
has worked on so far in 2004. It is not an exhaustive list of everything
we are doing. Apologies for the jargon - I tried to clean most of it up
but some remains. If you have questions feel free to email me:
ctakaro@library

Gladis itself:

01/18/04 "System slowness" problem had been reported by Carol McEwan.
Slowness problem wasn't "general" one; rather it happened when they
pressed F1 to commit changes to a bib rec which had the 655 heading,
"Online resources$2local" being added to the bib record. It would take
almost 20 seconds before the bib edit went through. This was happening
because every link to this heading was being counted as it was added to
Gladis - this has been changed so it only counts far enough to see that
the heading is already in use. This should speed up the efficiency of the
bib loader as well as online bib edits adding headings, which are used in
large numbers of bib records.

01/02/04 Changed program to calculate date an autoblock will be applied
following an overdue or recall notice during the first 14 days of January
based on the date the overdue or recall notice was produced rather than on
the last action date (which is based on the original due date), as is
normally done. This should prevent items due during the last few days of
December prior to closure from going through the entire cycle of overdue
notice -autoblock - bill warning notice on the first three days notices
are produced, as has happened in previous years.

3/9/04 Changed long display on Gladis to suppress the display of the 599
(SCP cat info) field and to strip the $x from the 856 display, since it's
supposed to be a non-public subfield.

3/11/04 Changed default circcode for ANTH for limited and restricted NRLF
items to 11 (K).

3/19/04 Changed default circcode for ANTH for restricted NRLF materials to
"L".

3/30-4/1 Various program changes to change GSSI location to GREF (Govt/Soc
Sci -> Govt Refe). This required recompiling +/- 80 programs. Resent all
GREF (former GSSI) records to Pathfinder and Melvyl.

3/31 - New language table in Gladis (used to verify fixed field language
value) to catch us up to date on the MARC format language code table.

4/2-4/9 Changed Gladis circ codes (and in some cases, NRLF circ status)
for NRLF items owned by ANTH, IGSL, ITSL, CCSL, WRCA, and GIAN (in certain
circumstances).

Record loading/exporting:
1/22/04 Changed OCLC profile to retain $e in the 040 which gives the
cataloging rules source. OCLC was stripping this from our records as they
load. This was noticed and the change requested by Randy Brandt.

3/5/04 An inquiry from Karen Lawrence about a large review queue with a
number of EAL records with the message "UNCONVERTED REC MATCHES CONVERTED"
prompted a team investigation. Changes to our programs were needed based
on the 987 field no longer being required in converted records.

3/19/04-3/22/04 Loaded the two files of records from OCLC which were
converted into Pinyin romanization. The BR #s of all records loaded were
logged, and Joe then produced hot-linked word files for EAL staff to work
with to facilitate the review process.

4/08/04 Loaded a batch of 43 ICPSR records into real GLADIS for PS and TS
staff to look over. These records were loaded with the add id "ICP", and
for the time being, they should *not* be exported to any of the utilities.
This group of test records will be deleted (manually, probably by Lorelie)
when the specs are finalized and the revised records are sent through with
the large initial batch of ICPSR records. Various programming changes to
support this project.

4/9/04 Per Tech Service Council / Lee Leighton's request, changed both
OCLCGLAD and RLINGLAD to:
1) no longer strip the $w from 76x-78x fields.
2) no longer strip the 506 field from any records.

4/20/04 Due to a change in the Innopac load tables, 090 fields are now
allowed in Innopac records and started coming to us in the upload files
sometime in the beginning of April. This field was not expected (the
program manufactures an 099 field "Ordered for <location>"), and caused
records to be rejected. INNOPREP was changed to ignore the incoming 090
fields.

Ongoing: Programming changes for loading Library of Congress Name and
Series Authority Records into Gladis are almost done. In the last few
years, only authority records new to Gladis have been loaded. All matches
have been saved while changes are being made to the existing program.
These changes will allow for safe overlays of existing authority records
in Gladis and retain unique fields UCB catalogers have added to the
records. The comparison and matching routines will greatly reduce the
amount of log work and manual comparison needed. An announcement will go
out to Allusers when the programming is in place. Until then, if the
heading you want is not in Gladis, look in the online Authority file in
OCLC or RLIN.

Report Log website:
mid Feb. 2004 Changes to report log website (some of these were requested
by Jane and Ginny a while ago, also requested more recently by Carole to
support SCP workflow):
1. Add ability to mark individual records (not just entire report) within
a specific file as read.
2. Marks where you are in the list of links (search results).
3. For a file available in record format, have search results link to the
line containing the 245.
4. Ability to add free text note field in the "table of contents page"
(index of all logs under a specific log type) - visible only to user.
5. Ability to add free text note for individual records within a log -
visible to entire linked group.
6. Enhanced ability to link multiple ip addresses (ie individual
computers) so that record of which logs are complete are viewable by a
group of people.

Problems:
1/30/04 Tandem crash: the Tandem went down 1/30/04 because of a power
supply problem on one of the disks. A new one was installed the following
week.

3/21/04 LIBADMIN was brought down by a virus. This whole week there was no
access to the reportlog website for our Tandem logs. Loss of all user-data
(which reports marked as read, which ip addresses linked, and all notes)
was total and unrecoverable. Log content (base data) was restored.

Early April. Report Log Website down again while the new software was
being installed and configured on the machine that runs this website.

Reports:

1/23/04 Produced and exported Judaica microform records to Adam Matthew
publications in order to get discount on materials from them.
2/19/04 New version of the program used to generate lists of Gladis
records based on Bib criteria to add some new selection options.
2/25/04 Ran job to identify duplication rate among units.
4/01/04 NRLF TOC project report (HQ and HX call numbers)
4/05/04 Report of Gladis records where DREF items are also held by other
units.
4/19/04 Report of Gladis records where IIRL (Inst. of Industrial
Relations) is the ONLY holding library.
4/22/04 Multiple jobs to support closing of Forest Products (FPRO)
including a shelflist, and specific lists of q level and o level records.

Misc:
2/11/04 Changes to our macros that exchange data with the campus CARS
(billing) system to accommodate holiday processing changes on their end.

2/6/04 downgrade some accounts for "Universal v/c edit" - a limited
version of Universal Holdings Edit that allows only v/c fields to be
edited (no other holdings fields).

2/25/04 Provided human readable samples for Armanda and Carlos of records
from Argentina and Brazil, provided by a publisher who supplies MARC
records with their material. These may be evaluated for ability to load
into Gladis if they meet cataloging criteria.

01/27/04 Valid Email address changes.Changed programs to allow new
xxx@berkeley.edu addresses.

3/18/04 LARS macro to automate moving bib information from Gladis to the
LARS binding module for the bindery prep unit.

Other: Progress is being made on the new web forms to submit Gladis
account requests. We'll do some testing with a small group then make an
announcement when they are ready for use.

Lastly, Joe Mitola reported that there will soon be loaded on the Systems
website some new macros for printing that he has been working on. You will
be able to get them at
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LSO/GLADIS/GLADISMacros.html One macro is to
print screen from Gladis Circulation from a PC and the other is for
continuous record printing from Gladis Maintenance.

2) UCB-only E-Resources / Carole McEwan

Technical Services working group on electronic resources, TSWorms, has
been examining workflows to streamline them and make them more efficient
and to cope with the fact that Serials Cataloging has lost 3 permanent
staff and only gained one. TS Worms breaks down electronic resource
workflows into the following categories: 1)Gov. Docs 2) CDL Licenses/SCP
3) UCB only 4) Free . Today we are only talking about the UCB Only area of
work. Much of this relates to the CDL Shared Cataloging Program (SCP)
because UCB tries to be as consistent as possible with their methods of
dealing with electronic resources. Carole passed out a summary handout
outlining some of the proposed changes that will be made to serial and
monograph records with electronic access. These changes will aid in
streamlining workflow and also in managing electronic resources for other
projects (UC e-Links, statistics, programmatically loading SCP or other
vendor records into GLADIS, etc.). This handout is attached to these email
minutes. Also attached is the actual UCB-only Cataloging Conventions
document created in Tech Services to be included eventually in the BPM
when approved by all relevant groups. If you want more information on the
CDL Shared Cataloging Program (SCP) and their cataloging conventions and
methods for managing their electronic resources, you can go to
http://cdlib.org/inside/projects/scp/

Cataloging conventions and ways of tracking electronic information in UCB
only records are often based on creating distinctive "hooks" in the
records. These "hooks" are usually put into added entries as a corporate
body or a uniform title, or put into public notes in the 856 field. The
"hooks" are recorded in a Tech Services spreadsheet (UCB-only E-Resources
Tracking) so that the records can be identified easily when necessary. The
proposal is to add the phrase "UCB access" to the "hooks", and the
restricted to UCB note in the 856 to distinguish UCB -only purchased
electronic resources.

There are 3 major changes proposed to electronic resource records. First
there will be a change in the call numbers for serials and books that have
electronic access only and do not have a paper equivalent so have location
= WEB. From now on when the record is loaded into Gladis if there is an LC
call number (an 050 or 090) in the record, the download will include the
class number (e.g.: HG301). If there is not one it will not be added, but
we will continue to use 099 No call number. This will allow uses to
possibly find web-only resources through a call number search, but more
importantly provide a subject area designation for web-only resources
which is important for other projects.

Second the 530 note has usually said something like: "Also available via
the World Wide Web. (Restricted to...)" which will be changed for SCP and
UCB only titles to say "Also issued online" or "Freely available online"
as appropriate. This way we will no longer have to maintain a note field
that is not an access point.

The third change is for UCB only records and has 2 parts that we need
Public Service staff input. One is a proposal that serials coverage will
no longer be recorded in the 856 field. Currently we have no maintenance
information to keep them up-to-date (as SCP does), so they are often
inaccurate. Also, by not trying to record and maintain them we can save
may hours of staff time, which can be directed to getting more URLs into
more serial records. We hope to have access to serials coverage management
information in the future through UC wide programs and then we will
reassess including serial coverage at that time.. The exception to this
will be when there are multiple URL's needed in the record and we will
need to put in a coverage statement in to distinguish them.

The second issue we seek Public Service input on concerns the problem of
needing specific passwords or registration for users to gain access.
Currently titles that require a password to gain access have notes
directing patrons to specific staff members or specific Reference desks to
obtain the password. There are 2 possible options to deal with this: 1)
train reference staff to view the INNOPAC order record to find the
password recorded there, or 2) create a secure web site containing all
passwords that reference staff can view. For those resources that are free
but ask the user to register before using them, it is proposed to just
include a note to alert the user that this is the case.

The meeting was adjourned.