On December 9th, 2009, the Staff Development Committee (SDC) sponsored a career development workshop on The workshop will focused on steps staff can take to develop rewarding, fulfilling careers at the UC Berkeley Library. The panel was moderated by SDC member Virgilyn Abibas, Anthropology Library and Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Library. Speakers included:
- Elizabeth Byrne, Head/Architecture Librarian, Environmental Design Library
- Elizabeth presented on resume development and maintenance, as well as the do's and don'ts of resume writing.
- Dana Jemison, Original Cataloging Division, Technical Services and Licensing and Contract Librarian for Digital Collections, Librarian's Office
- Dana presented on preparing for and anticipating changing job roles. This presentation will include how to plan for your next career move with creative and economical strategies.
- Norma Kobzina, Head, Information Services, Bioscience and Natural Resources Library
- Norma presented on planning your library career by developing concrete and flexible goals and methods to achieve them.
The workshop included a question and answer segment as well as an open dialog on strategies for career development. This segment of the workshop was very informative with attendees asking detailed questions that kept the panel on their toes.
Tour of the Pacific Film Archives
On October 21, 2009, 16 UC Berkeley Library staff gathered at the Pacific Film Archives (PFA) for a tour of the facilities and their databases. Nancy Goldman (Head, PFA Library and Film Study Center) and Anuj Vaidya (Indexer/Outreach) were our hosts.