UC Berkeley Library Web

Jean Gray Hargrove
    Music Library

Search for Books, Scores, Recordings...

Return to Music Library Home
Hargrove Music Library and Sather Tower

Holdings of the Hargrove Music Library, excluding certain special collections such as manuscripts, can be found online using either Melvyl, the union catalog of the University of California Library System (offered by CDL, the California Digital Library), or OskiCat, UC Berkeley's local catalog.

UCB Catalogs—OskiCat
UC Catalogs—Melvyl

UC and UCB catalogs each offer unique searching capabilities and functionality, as indicated in Guide to Library Catalogs. Users searching for music will want to explore the capabilities that allow browsing of authority headings inOskiCat. Standard Subject, Name, Title and Name/Title combinations used as authority headings are available from the Library of Congress Authorities.

Additional help using UC and UCB catalogs is available from UCB Teaching Library Guides and from Inside CDL; assistance finding music materials is at Guides to Music Resources.

Catalogs and Interlibrary Borrowing

If you are searching OskiCat and find UC Berkeley does not own an item you need, you should next try to find and request the item from another library within the University of California System. You may request scores and monographs from other UC campuses via the Melvyl catalog, using the Request button.

If, after searching Melvyl, you have still not located an item you need, you might then consider searching WorldCat to see if the item is owned by a non-UC Library.

Catalogs Beyond UC—WorldCat · More

If you find an item at a non-UC library, you can request the material via Interlibrary Borrowing Services. (Exception: You may request materials at Stanford University or the University of Texas at Austin via the Research Library Cooperative Program). Forms for requesting items from another library, both articles and books, are available at the Music Library reference desk or online using the IBS Request Form. Items requested from another library must be picked up at the office of Interlibrary Borrowing Services, Room 133, Doe Library, after you have been notified it is available.

Interlibrary borrowing services are free to UCB students, faculty, and staff. Please note that in most libraries many kinds of materials, such as sound recordings and reference works, are available only locally and will not be available through interlibrary borrowing services.

[ HELP/FAQ ]   [ CATALOGS ]     [ COMMENTS ]     [ HOME ]    

Copyright © 2011 The Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.
Last updated 5/13/11 · Contact Hargrove Music Library Web