- Allen, Henry.
- "Have Grin, Will Film Despair; Documentary Maker Michael Moore and His Wry
Look at an American Dream Gone Awry." ('Roger and Me')
Washington Post v113 (Thu, Jan 11, 1990):E1, col 2, 66 col in.
- Bateman, Thomas S.; Sakano, Tomoaki; Fujita, Makoto.
- "Roger, Me, and My Attitude: Film Propaganda and Cynicism Toward Corporate
Journal of Applied Psychology v77, n5 (Oct, 1992):768 (4 pages).
- Bensman, David.
- "'Roger & Me:' Narrow, Simplistic, Wrong." (public reaction to Michael
Moore's documentary film) (column)
New York Times v139 (Fri, March 2, 1990):A15(N), A33(L), col 1, 17 col in.
- Bernstein, Matthew.
- "'Roger and Me': Documentaphobia and Mixed Modes."
Journal of Film and Video v46, n1 (Spring, 1994):3 (18 pages).
- Bernstein, Richard.
- "'Roger and Me': Redefining the Limits." (popularity of the motion picture
produced by Michael Moore) (Living Arts Pages)
New York Times v139 (Thu, Feb 1, 1990):B3(N), C20(L), col 1, 35 col in.
- Canby, Vincent.
- "Roger and Me." (video recording reviews)
New York Times v139, sec2 (Sun, June 17, 1990):H28(N), H28(L), col 1, 8
- Cohan, Carley; Crowdus, Gary
- "Reflections on Roger & Me,
Michael Moore, and His Critics."
Cineaste 1990, 17:4, 25-30.
- Collins, Glenn.
- "A Self-taught Film Maker Creates a Comic Hit." (Michael Moore, 'Roger and
Me') (Living Arts Pages)
New York Times v139 (Thu, Sept 28, 1989):B3(N), C15(L), col 1, 28 col in.
- Corliss, Richard.
- "Michael & Roger and Phil & Flint: An Impish Documentary Raises a Ruckus
in the Heartland." (Michael Moore; Roger & Me; Flint, Michigan)
Time v135, n7 (Feb 12, 1990):58.
- Dikkers, Scott.
- "Michael Moore." (filmmaker)(Interview)
Progressive v60, n6 (June, 1996):40 (3 pages).
- Duffy, Susan; Treece, James B.
- "The real Villain in Roger & Me? Big Business." (also includes a related
article on Roger Smith)
Business Week, n3140 (Jan 8, 1990):42 (2 pages).
- Dutton, Thomas A.; Ghirardo, DianeY.
- "Roger and me." (motion picture review)
Journal of Architectural Education v 43 Spring 1990. p. 57-9.
- Eisenstein, Paul A.
- "Flint Deals with General Motors Layoffs: 'Roger and Me.'" (General Motors
Co. in Michigan depicted in motion picture)
Christian Science Monitor v82, n31 (Wed, Jan 10, 1990):9, col 1, 19 col
- Fisher, Lawrence M.
- "G.M.'s Response to 'Roger & Me.' "(advertising agencies asked not to place
commercials on programs featuring filmmaker) (column)
New York Times v139 (Wed, Jan 31, 1990):C21(N), D23(L), col 2, 8 col in.
- Georgakas, Dan; Saltz, Barbara
- "Michael and Us: An Interview
with Michael Moore."
Cineaste 1998, 23:3, 4-7.
- " An interview with filmmaker Michael Moore on the occasion of the opening
of his film The Big One in New York. The film, full of Moore's trademark
provocation of authority, originated from his discovery of a new American
phenomenon whereby corporations already making their best profits ever
were exporting jobs, and offers a chilling comment on how corporate
executives view the American worker. However, Moore has recently been
attacked by several factions of the left as a cultural fake who uses a
working-class facade to mask his limited understanding of political and
aesthetic theory. Moore discusses several topics in the interview, including the sources of his humor, some particulars of his new film, and
the critiques of his work that have been raised by the left." [Art Abstracts]
- Harkness, John.
- "Roger and Me. "
Sight and Sound v59, n2 (Spring, 1990):130 (2 pages).
- Ingrassia, Paul.
- "This Time, GM's Innocent." (General Motors and Flint, Michigan) (column)
Wall Street Journal (Fri, Sept 29, 1989):A14(W), A14(E), col 4, 17 col
- Insdorf, Annette.
- "Who Made 'Roger & Me?'" (Michael Moore's documentary on the effect of the
closing of a General Motors plant in Flint, Michigan)
American Film v15, n2 (Nov, 1989):14.
- Jacobson, Harlan.
- "Michael & Me." (interview with Michael Moore, director of film "Roger and
Film Comment v25, n6 (Nov-Dec, 1989):16 (9 pages).
- Kauchak, Therese.
- "'Just Shut Up and Build a Better car.'" (filmmaker Michael Moore of "Roger
& Me" on General Motors) (Out of Left Field) (Special Report: Automotive
Marketing) (company profile)
Advertising Age v61, n30 (July 23, 1990):S8.
- Klawans, Stuart.
- "Film notes. (Roger and Me)"
Nation v250, n5 (Feb 5, 1990):178 (2 pages).
- Lasswell, Mark.
- "Cinema's Working-class Hero." (Michael Moore)
Rolling Stone, n570 (Jan 25, 1990):32.
- Lee, Patrick.
- "Exasperated GM Chief Pans Satiric Film as 'Sick Humor.'" (Roger Smith of
General Motors gives opinion of 'Roger and Me')
Los Angeles Times v109 (Thu, Jan 4, 1990):D6, col 5, 6 col in.
- Leerhsen, Charles.
- "Honey, I Shrunk the Town; New Filmmaker Michael Moore Takes on GM."
Newsweek v114, n15 (Oct 9, 1989):113.
- Levin, Doron P.
- "A Film Tweaks G.M. Over Jobless. " ("Roger and Me" parodies General Motors
chairman Roger B. Smith and dramatizes plight of the unemployed in
New York Times v139 (Thu, Sept 21, 1989):C1(N), D1(L), col 3, 16 col in.
- Levin, Doron P.
- "Maker of 'Roger and Me' Alienates Some Allies." (Michael Moore) (Living
New York Times v139 (Fri, Jan 19, 1990):B11(N), C12(L), col 4, 22 col in.
- Mckersie R.
- "Thoughts On Roger And Me."
Sloan Management Review, 1990 Summer, V31 N4:5-6.
- Moore, Michael.
- "'Roger' and I, Off to Hollywood and Home to Flint." (filmmaker Michael
Moore discusses 'Roger and Me')
New York Times v139, sec2 (Sun, July 15, 1990):H11(N), H11(L), col 4, 33
- Moore, Peter D.
- "Business as Target of Social Discontentment." (column)
Los Angeles Times v109 (Wed, March 14, 1990):D3, col 4, 29 col in.
- Niney, Francois
- "Roger and me." (motion picture review)
Cahiers du Cinema no430 Apr 1990. p. 72.
- Orvell, Miles.
- "Documentary Film and the Power of Interrogation: American Dream and
Roger and Me."
Film Quarterly, vol. 48 no. 2. 1994-1995
- " Barbara Kopple's Academy Award-winning American Dream (1991) and Michael
Moore's controversial Roger and Me (1989) focus on the same subject--the
fate of the worker at the hands of the modern corporation--but differ
greatly in their approach to the documentary format. Kopple's film, which
deals with the 1985 strike of the meatpackers union at the Hormel plant in
Austin, Minnesota, is rooted squarely in the mainstream of the documentary
tradition, presenting the filmmaker as a sympathetic observer of the
powerless. It is precisely this tradition that Moore rebels against in Roger and Me, whose ostensible subject is the plant closings of the 1980s
by General Motors and their effect on the people of Flint, Michigan. A
hybridization of the interactive and reflexive documentary modes, the film
is part historical narrative and part autobiography. Moore himself
remains the central figure throughout, in the persona of the reporter in
search of his subject." [Art Abstracts]
- Plantinga, Carl
- "Roger and History and Irony and Me."
Michigan Academician, 1992 Spring, 24:3, 511-20.
- "Examines Michael Moore's film Roger and Me, a
documentary on the closing of General Motors
assembly factories in Flint, Michigan, and the
subsequent economic decline of the town, as "ironic
history," demonstrating how irony contributes to the
film's humor but prevents a coherent and useful
analysis of the situation." [America History and Life]s
- "Recession's Fellini." (documentary film maker Michael Moore) (Business)
Economist v317, n7681 (Nov 17, 1990):84.
- "Roger Babbitt." (Roger and Me motion picture)
Economist v314, n7637 (Jan 13, 1990):67.
- Rosenbaum, Jonathan.
- "Are You Having Fun." (commentary on recent trend in motion pictures)
Sight and Sound v59, n2 (Spring, 1990):96 (5 pages).
- Schwartz, John.
- "The Film That Ran Over GM; 'Roger & Me' is Funny, But What Does It Prove?"
Newsweek v115, n3 (Jan 15, 1990):52.
- Sterritt, David.
- "A Documentary Grabs Attention." ("Roger & Me")
Christian Science Monitor v82, n34 (Tue, Jan 16, 1990):11, col 1, 25 col
- "Up Close: Michael Moore." (interview with Michael Moore)Planning Feb 1997 v63n2
- White, Joseph B.
- "GM Seeks to Keep Ads Off Talk Show About 'Roger & Me.'" (General Motors
Wall Street Journal (Thu, Feb 1, 1990):B6(E), col 3, 7 col in.
- White, Joseph B.
- "Movie That Attacks GM, Roger Smith Opens in Flint, Mich., To Rave
Reviews." ("Roger and Me" lambastes General Motors Corp.)
Wall Street Journal (Thu, Dec 21, 1989):B6(W), B4(E), col 4, 18 col in.