Gary P. Handman
- Professional Experience
- Professional Activities
- UC Berkeley Campus Committees
- Library Committees
- Papers and Talks Presented
- August 1984- present
University of California Berkeley,
- Director, Media Resources Center - Direct the largest campus media collection and media access facility, one of the largest academic library media collections in the US. Manage an annual materials budget of over $80K and a collection of approximately 30K titles in various visual and audio formats. Circulation for on-site and classroom use in 2007 was over 50K. Serve as consultant to faculty and other teaching staff regarding curricular uses of media. Primary accomplishments in this position include building the MRC collection into a unique national resource; developing several digital audio and video collections; developing and maintaining one of the largest academic web sites on the internet devoted to film and video www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC.
- Subject Selector -- bibliographer in the fields of Film Studies and Media Studies. Responsible for building Main Library collection of print and digital resources in these subject areas.
- March 2001 - May 2002
University of California Berkeley, Doe/Moffitt Library
- Interim Head, Teaching Library - Supervise activities and programs of the Teaching Library, UCB's primary undergraduate bibliographic instruction program in the humanities and social sciences. Lead fourteen full time staff, (including seven librarians) in efforts to plan, develop, assess, and coordinate existing and new library instruction and information literacy methodologies, programs, and services. The Librarian for User Research, the Media Resources Center, and the Library Graphics Office are also part of the Teaching Library.
- April 1979 -
University of California Berkeley Library
- Assistant Head, Acquisition Dept. -- Assisted in the administration of a major centralized technical processing unit of the University Library. The department acquired and processed over 90,000 items annually and managed a materials budget over $4.5 million. Additional acquisition of materials was accomplished through a vigorous gifts operation and an internationally renowned exchange program with over 4000 partners worldwide. From October 1981 to February 1983, served as Acting Head of the department, reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Technical Services.
- Jan. 1979-
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
- Technical Information Specialist - Supervised all monographic acquisition functions and related processing
operations for the Lab's main and branch libraries. Reorganized acquisition files and financial records. Implemented pre-order searching routines using RLIN and Dept. of Energy RECON databases.
- June 1977 -
Bechtel Corporation, San Francisco, CA
- Acquisition/Reference Librarian - Managed the acquisition of books, serials, and related materials for the company's domestic and foreign libraries, job sites, in-house projects, and management information units. Supervised development of batch automated records for use in acquisition, accounting, and cataloging functions. Developed specifications for and coordinated the transfer of approximately 3500 individual and library subscriptions to a single serial vendor. Performed general reference and research functions for the business and engineering library.
- May 1976 -
Chevron Research Corp. Patent and Licensing Dept. Library, San Francisco, CA
- Librarian - Performed all technical service and reference functions for CRC's legal and technical library, including cataloging, acquisition, and some collection development. Initiated and maintained cooperative arrangements between Patent Dept. and other corporate information centers.
- American Library Association:
- Video Round Table (founding member), 1989-- Chair, 2001-2002; 1992-93; Program Chair, 2000-2001; 1998-99; Notable Videos for Adults Juror, 1998-2000; Washington Liaison, 1995--; Preconference Planning Cttee., 1995/6; creator and moderator, VRT VIDEOLIB and VIDEONEWS listservs
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Film & Broadcast Discussion Group, 1987--; Chair 1998-2000
- Media Resources Cttee, 1993-1995; Program Planning Chair, 1994/95
- Bibliographic Instruction Section: Newsletter editor, 1988; Computer Concerns Cttee., 1988-1990 (Chair, 1989-90); Task Force on Information Literacy, 1990
- Reference & Adult Services Division
- Fee-based Reference Services Cttee., 1986-88
- Management of Reference Services Cttee., 1988-90
- Library Instruction Round Table, 1986-88
- Other Professional and Academic Activities:
- Board of Advisors: "From Bluegrass to Broadway: A Film History of American's Popular Music" (NEH funded project) (2010--)
- UC Berkeley/New York University Mellon Grant to investigate video collection preservation (Lead investigator, UC Berkeley)
- Panelist/presenter: US Copyright Office regional hearings on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, May 2009 http://mrcstream.wordpress.com/
- Consultant, Copyright Clearance Center (video licensing) 2009
- Consultant, iFilm Connections: Asia & Pacific
- New York Film Festival, Juror, March 2007
- Consultant, Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges, media collections and services, August 11-12, 2004
- Developed and mounted major exhibit in the UCB Main Library, April-July 2003: "Reel Life Stories: Documentary Film and Video Collections in the UCB Media Resources Center." (see http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/reellife/)
- National Science Foundation and National Endowment of the Humanities project reviewer 2000--
- MediaRights.org, film advocacy organization, Board of Directors, 2000--
- Consultant, Rockefeller Foundation National Video Resources (NVR), (various projects), 1995--
- Consultant for New York Public Library on the development of a media center in the NYPL Center for the Humanities (1995)
- Consultant and web resource designer, National Educational Media Network, 1990--
- MC Journal (Academic Media Librarianship Journal [online]), Advisory/Editorial Board, 1995-
- American Film & Video Assn., Board of Directors, 1992-3; juror, 1990-93
- Fellow, Doreen B. Townsend Center for the Humanities, UC Berkeley, 1994-95
- Birmingham International Film Festival, juror, 1991
- New York Film Festival, Board of Directors and Advisors, 1990-
- San Francisco International Film Festival, Jury Chair, 1988, 1990
- UC Berkeley Campus Committees
- Juror: Roselyn Schneider Eisner Prizes In Film and Video, April 2005; April 2008
- Pacific Film Archives, NEH grant advisory committee, 2007-2010
- Executive Committee, Center for New Media, 2003-2006
- eBerkeley, Educational Technology Committee, 2001-2004
- Faculty Senate Committee on Computing and Communications , 2000-2002
- Campus Instructional Technology Leadership Group, 1999-2002
- Chancellor's Communications and Computing Policy Board, Instructional Technology Committee, 1994-1998
- Classroom Technology Advisory Cttee., 1994-2000
- Library Committees
- Digital Acquisitions and Workflow Taskforce, 2011
- Media Services and Collections Thinktank, 2008
- Teaching & Learning Spaces Task Force, 2006
- Library Undergraduate Research Prize, 2005/06; Chair 2006/07
- Podcasting Task Force; convener 2006
- Electronic Resources Database Group, 2003--
- Web Advisory Task Force, 2003-2004
- e-journals Task Force, 2002-2003 (chair)
- E-Text Task Force, 2001
- Digital Library Task Force, 1999
- Librarians Association of UC Berkeley, 1992-3 (chair)
- Papers and Talks Presented
- Panelist: "New Challenges: Multi-Media Use and the Academy,"
ACRL 14th National Conference, Seattle, Washington, March 12-15, 2009
- Organizer and facilitator: National Media Market pre-conference on digital vido licensing (Lexington, KY, September 2008) http://mrcstream.wordpress.com/
- Panelist: Persistent Visions Conference (Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (San Francisco, CA, June 2006): "Queerly Educational Examining the intersection between queer media and education"
- Panelist: National Media Market (Las Vegas, NV, September 2005): "Approaches to Academic Media Collection Development"
- Panelist: National Media Market (Las Vegas, NV, October, 2003): "Future of Independent Film/Video Distribution"
- Keynote speaker: Florida Library Association. Media Resources Section. Annual Program 2002: "Video Collection Development: A Unabashedly Opinioned View."
- Moderator and program planner: ALA Video Round Table annual program: "Media 101: A Crash Course in Media Basics." (June 2002)
- Speaker: ALCTS, Out of Print Discussion Group: Sources for Out of Distribution Media
- Panelist: ACRL Media Resources Committee Annual Program 2001: "Applying the ACRL Guidelines for Media In Academic Libraries."
- Speaker: ACRL Western European Studies Specialists (WESS) Annual Program 2002: German Cinema on DVD. (June 2000)
Presenter: "Visual Literacy, Information Literacy, and the Undergraduate Curriculum," Arthur Andersen Co., School of the Future, Chicago, April 1999
Speaker and panelist: National Educational Media Network, annual conference, "The Future of the Academic Media Market," Oakland, CA, May 1999
Moderator: ALA Video Round Table annual program: "Recent Telecommunications Legislation and Its Implications for Video Librarians," June 1998
Panelist: American Library Association Video Round Table Preconference: "From Analog to Digital Video-Making Tomorrow's Decisions Today," Berkeley, CA, June 1997
Moderator, writer and co-producer: Rockefeller Foundation National Video Resources/PBS Teleconference, "Video, CD-ROM, and the Web: Libraries and Motion Media of the Future," May 1997
- Presenter: "The Future of Independent Media Distribution," National Educational Media Network, Annual Conference, Oakland, CA, March 1996
Program coordinator and presenter: Rockefeller Foundation National Video Resources symposium: "Video and Beyond," Austin, TX, Aug. 5-12, 1995
Moderator: ACRL Media Resources Cttee., program on evolving campus instructional and information technology infrastructure, June 1995
Moderator: ALA Video Round Table annual program: "Coming Soon to a Library or Livingroom Near You!: New Video Technologies on the Horizon," Los Angeles, June 1994
Keynote Speaker: OCLC Medical Librarians Discussion Group program, "Cataloging Non-Print Materials," Dublin, OH 1992
Keynote Speaker: Nevada Library Assn., Academic Libraries Section, annual conference, "Libraries, Classrooms, and the Great Eye and Ear Revolution," July 1990
- Speaker: ALA Video Interest Group, annual conference, "Video Collection Development in Academic Libraries," June 1990
- UC Berkeley: Sociology 190: The Sociological Voice in Documentary Film
and the Use of Documentary in Sociological Practice: Kinship and Distinctions - Spring 2012
- UC Berkeley: Sophomore Seminar: Introduction to Documentary: Fall 2009 (Film 84); Spring 2007 (Mass Communications 84) Spring 2006 (Film 84)
- UC Berkeley: Introduction to Documentary (Film 28A) UC Berkeley Film Studies Program - Spring 2005
- UC Berkeley: Guest Lecturer: Introduction to American Cybercultures (Fall 2004) (as part of a Mellon grant-funded Library/Faculty Research Project)
- UC Berkeley: Guest Lecturer: Media Studies, American Studies, Film Studies: race and gender in film; food in film; various film genres.
- Rockefeller Foundation National Video Resources and the Nevada Dept. of Education, Regional Workshops: "The Road Less Traveled: Using the Work of Independent Filmmakers and Videomakers in Schools and Libraries," Sept. 1997 - May 1998 (various locations)
- UC Berkeley, Film 124: "Screening the Machine: Technology, Anxiety, and the Movies" (undergraduate seminar), Spring 1997
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain: Intensive course on the basics of media librarianship (continuing ed for librarians from five major Catalonian universities), Nov. 1995
- UC Berkeley, School of Library and Information Studies, UC Berkeley: Media Librarianship (LINFOST 267), 1987 - 1994.
- Journal Articles / Electronic Publications:
- "A License to Look: Evolving Models for Library Video Acquisition and Access." Library Trends 58:3, Winter 2010
- White Paper on Digital Video Licensing in Libraries, September 2008 (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/whitepapercomments.pdf)
- "Views from the Edge: Commercial Sources for Video Weirdness and Ephemera." Against the Grain, (April 2008)
- "Reviewing the Reviewers: Online Sources of Film and Video Reviews" College & University Media
Review (Consortium of College and University Media Centers) (Fall/Winter 2003/2004)
- "A View Outside the Mainstream" (Building Diverse Video Collections) American Libraries (Nov. 2003), pp: 38-40.
- "Searching for the Seldom Seen: Sources and Strategies for
Acquiring Out-of-Distribution Videos." Against the Grain, (June 2003)
- "New Worlds, New Visions: The Immigrant Experience on Film and Video," Wilson Library Bulletin, (Oct. 1994): 39-44
- "Small Screens and Ivy Covered halls: Video Collections in Academic Libraries," ABC-CLIO Video Rating Guide for Libraries (April 1991): 1-7
- "I Found It (Lost It) at the Movies: Public Service Implications of Minimal Brief Cataloging of Non-Print Materials," Technical Services Quarterly (Winter 1991): 39-47
- "The Short Life and Ignominious Death of ALA Video and Special Projects," American Libraries (Nov. 1991): 997
- "The Class That Fell to Earth: Media Transforms a Classroom," Teaching at Berkeley (Fall 1990): 1+
- "Visions of the 90's: Textbook Publishers Ponder the Information Age," Library Journal (Feb. 15, 1990): 115-16
- Media Reviews and Criticism:
- Educational Media Reviews Online (EMRO) 2009--
- Choice (1988-present)
- Other: Video Librarian (1999--2005)Library Journal; Video Rating Guide for Libraries (1987-1991); Booklist; American Reference Books Annual (ARBA); Resources for College Libraries.
- Tri-monthly column, "QuickVids" in American Libraries (1990-2007)
- Books and Other Publications:
- "Audiovisual Materials." In: Guide to Out-of-Print Materials. (ALCTS Aquisition Guides). Lanham, MD: Scarecrow, 2004.
- Editor and contributing author, Video Collection Development in Multi-type Libraries: A Handbook. 2nd ed. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 2002.
- Editor and contributing author, Video Collection Development in Multi-type Libraries: A Handbook. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1994. 495 pp.
Editor, "Current Research and Writing on Video in Libraries." In: ABC-CLIO Video Annual 1992. Edited by Jean T. Kreamer, pp. 1-79. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 1992
Manley, Will. Gary Handman (illustrator). Unsolicited Advice: Observations of a Public Librarian. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1992.
Manley, Will. Gary Handman (illustrator). Unprofessional Behavior: Confessions of a Public Librarian. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1992.
Manley, Will. Gary Handman (illustrator). Unintellectual Freedoms: Opinions of a Public Librarian. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1991.
Author and illustrator, Bibliotoons: A Mischievous Meander Through the Stacks and Beyond. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1990.
- Distinguished Librarian Award, Librarians Association, UC Berkeley, 2010
- 1976 Master of Library Science (MLS), UC Berkeley
- 1972 A.B. Degree (Physical Anthropology), UCLA (Summa Cum Laude)