Beginning July 23, 2009, Student Employment will adjust their recruitment practices to encourage work-study hiring to provide further GA funding flexibility. The new information and facts are now available and addressed here.
Jobs will be posted on the job board under two categories: Work Study Students Only or Work Study Students Preferred.
- Work Study Students Only - Jobs will be posted in this area for the first 5 days of posting. If a suitable candidate is not selected, then the job will be moved to the work study preferred area.
- Work Study Students Preferred - The job will remain posted as "Work Study Preferred" until the supervisor has made a selection.
- Students will be required to have work study before they can apply for a position that is posted as work study only, they will also be required to bring the interviewing supervisor the amount of their award, either verbally or written. The supervisor will use this amount in determining who they want to hire.
- Students will be referred and asked to accept their award in the online work study site in the HR office prior to the signing of paperwork. If for some reason the student is unable to be referred, they will be given 24 hours to go to the work study office and work out the problem. They will come back and complete their paperwork. The supervisor will be informed of this delay. In some rare instances a student is not able to work out the problem with the work study office, in this case the supervisor will then decide to hire another student from the pool or repost the job.
- When the work study award ends it will be up to the unit head and supervisor to determine if they have sufficient funding to retain the employee. Students should be encouraged to go to the work study office to discuss increasing their award.
- In the past students were allowed to work one semester after they graduated, these students are not eligible for work study, once again the unit head and supervisor will determine if they have funding to keep the employee. This will also be the case with students who have withdrawn for the semester.
- Students who did not have work study before this mandate came into effect will be allowed (at the supervisor and unit head’s discretion) to remain in employment until May 31, 2010.
- LBS will submit a monthly report to the unit heads and supervisors, by e-mail, which will have the financial information necessary to manage the awards.
See facts about Work Study.