UC Berkeley Library Web
Library picture
LHRD Student Employment

Student Handbook

Academic Home Page

LHRD information for staff

Student Employment

Payroll Records Unit

LHRD Home Page

Please read the following information carefully to familiarize yourself with University and Library expectations, policies, and procedures regarding working conditions and benefits. Consult with your immediate supervisor, unit/section head, or the Library Student Employment Office if you have any questions. The following is only a summary for easy reference.

Click a link below to jump directly to that section.

Library Student Employment

It is the policy of the Library to provide, based upon the needs of the department, part-time employment to students at the Berkeley campus of the University of California. Such Student Library Employees (SLEs) are hired in casual/restricted positions. Casual/restricted positions are part-time, temporary, and reserved for regularly enrolled students (as determined by the list of registered students or Registrar's Office). Hiring appointments may be made throughout the year. Your appointment will end on May 31 and will be renewed at the discretion of your supervisor. If you graduate in the fall or summer semester, your appointment will end on December 31 or August 31, respectively.

All positions and work hours are subject to change due to fluctuating workloads or budget adjustments. Reappointments for the summer or through the next academic year will depend on department needs and on your job performance.

Students who will be regularly enrolled in the fall semester may be eligible to work during the Summer Session, even if they are not enrolled in summer classes. In exceptional circumstances and with the approval of the Department Head and the Library Human Resources Department, employment of unregistered students may be extended into the semester preceding or following regular enrollment. Employment is not guaranteed during the summer and intersession periods because the Library operates on a reduced schedule. Summer and intersession employment is determined by your supervisor and based on a consideration of job requirements, employee qualifications, and employee job performance.

back to top

Beginning Employment

After you accept the position and are sent onboarding information from Campus Shared Service, you must provide proper identification and complete your employment paperwork. You will then be instructed to contact your supervisor within 24 hours to arrange your training and work schedule. Failure to contact your supervisor immediately may result in the loss of your job.

Before you begin working, log in to BLU online to sign up for Direct Deposit or for the Aline declining balance Visa debit card.

Additional Requirements

New employees are required to read the following documents regarding Substance Abuse. Please read each of the documents below in their entirety:

back to top

Library Expectations

Casual/restricted positions are an integral part of Library staffing and operations. Within that context, Student Library Employees are expected to conduct themselves in a businesslike and courteous manner, consistent with the high quality public service goals of the Library. Please remember that we are a service department, assisting faculty, students and the public with their teaching and research needs. The Library has the right to expect you to display a positive regard for the duties and obligations assigned to you throughout your employment. A willful disregard for or deliberate violation of University, Campus, Library or department policies and expectations will result in formal corrective action, and/or termination.


The Library provides service to the faculty, students and staff of the University and to the general public. We expect employees to maintain a neat and clean appearance and businesslike demeanor. The way we appear is an important form of non-verbal communication which creates in others an impression about the Library as a competent and professional academic resource. When on duty, you represent the Library. Your appearance and behavior directly affect our patron’s experiences.

Phone Calls

Public telephones are provided in most buildings and should be used for personal phone calls. In emergencies, calls may be made from library phones with the permission of your supervisor. Students are discouraged from receiving phone calls at work except in emergencies. Employees should not use cell phones at work except during break periods away from public areas.

Library Equipment

All equipment, including computers (internet, email etc.), printers, photocopy and fax machines are for Library business use only.

Audio Equipment

Radios, CD players, iPods, etc. are not permitted for personal use in public areas of the Libraries. Use of these devices in non-public areas varies from one library to another. Please consult your supervisor regarding the use of personal audio equipment in your unit. Supervisors may deny use of personal audio devices if the work of the unit is negatively impacted.

Food and Drink

In keeping with the policy for library users, consumption of food or drink of any kind is not allowed in any public areas of the libraries. If you bring any food into the library, be sure it is concealed in a bag. Staff areas may be used for breaks and lunches, but should not be used as private study areas.


Smoking is not permitted in any campus building.

back to top

Change of Status

Make any change in personal information, such as your address, or telephone number in Blu. If you have a change in student status please contact your supervisor first and then the Library Human Resources Department.

back to top


Student payday is every other Wednesday. Your paycheck is directly deposited into your bank account, your funds will be available on payday. It can take four to six weeks for a direct deposit request to be processed when you first request it. Until it is processed, you will be issued a paper paycheck that will be mailed to your home address. You may sign up for direct deposit at the Blu Portal (see link on the left hand side after you log in). You can view your earnings distribution statement online at At Your Service.

Direct Deposit (no fees) Your money is electronically deposited into the bank account of your preference on payday.

Aline card (some fees may apply) you will receive a Visa logo debit card (requires activation upon receipt) loaded with your pay each payday.

To read more about both these options visit the UCB Controller Office.

If you have problems or questions concerning your pay, please contact Student Payroll.

back to top

Time Reporting: Caltime

Your Caltime timesheet is the official record of hours worked. It is your responsibility to clock in and out accurately for each shift you work and before and after meal breaks. If you make an error, notify your supervisor immediately for correction. ONLY staff employees designated as supervisors may correct and approve your timesheets.

Do not clock in or out for anyone but yourself. Students may only clock in and out at their designated work site. Clocking in or out from any other location will result in termination.

Your timecard is a legal document. Falsification of your timecard or any other student employee’s timecard will result in termination. DO NOT work more then 5¾ hours without clocking out. A 30-minute unpaid rest/meal period is required for all work schedules longer than 5¾ hours, and will be deducted automatically if you do not clock out. See your supervisor for Caltime training on your first day of work.

back to top

Rest Periods

Fifteen-minute breaks with pay are scheduled based on the needs and at the convenience of the department for part-time employees working three or more consecutive hours in any one period. Breaks cannot be accumulated or used for other purposes, such as leaving work early or adjusting work schedules. The University Policy reads, "rest period privileges may be withdrawn if abused." Breaks are to be taken outside the work area, if feasible; in any case, employees on a break should not distract other employees who are working.

back to top

Work Schedules

Do not agree to a work schedule unless you are able to maintain it throughout the semester. Library operations continue during midterms, finals, and holiday periods. Most units arrange special work schedules for finals week, but expect students to work their regular number of hours. All changes in schedule must be pre-approved by your supervisor.

If anything prevents you from reporting to work on time, notify your supervisor immediately and before the beginning of your shift. If you foresee recurring problems with meeting your schedule, discuss the problems with your supervisor, who will decide whether an adjustment in schedule or reduction of hours is appropriate. Frequent tardiness or absences may result in termination of employment.

back to top

Hours of Work

Student employees may be scheduled to work up to a maximum of 49% of the working hours in the month (19 hours per week). Employees are normally not scheduled for work shifts of less than 2 hours or more than 4 consecutive hours. Exceptions to normal work shifts may be requested and approved by the supervisor when it is essential to the operation of the Library; however, schedules of more than 5 consecutive hours are not permitted. After 5 hours you must clock out for at least 30 minutes.

Student employees may be scheduled to work up to a maximum of 49% of the working hours in the month (19½ hours per week). Employees are normally not scheduled for work shifts of less than 2 hours or more than 4 consecutive hours. Exceptions to normal work shifts may be requested and approved by the supervisor when it is essential to the operation of the Library; however, schedules of more than 5¾ consecutive hours are not permitted. After 5¾ hours you must clock out for at least 30 minutes.

back to top

Multiple Jobs

Students are responsible for notifying their immediate supervisors and Library Human Resources if they are employed in more than one campus library, another University department, or an outside agency paid from University funds, such as Work Study. When an employee works in more than one unit or department, all hours worked in all jobs held are combined and count towards the 49% time limit. Working above 49% may result in the accrual of vacation and sick leave benefits if the combined hours total half or more of the working hours in the month.

Students working in more than one department run a higher risk of having an appointment above 50%.

back to top

Defined Contribution Plan

To qualify for exemption from DCP withholding:

  • Undergraduate student employees must be registered and enrolled in a minimum of 6 or more units per term for fall, spring or summer sessions.
  • Graduate student employees must be registered and enrolled in a minimum of 6 units per term for fall and spring sessions, or 2 units for summer sessions.

Maximum appointment percentage allowed to qualify for exemption from withholding:

  • Berkeley campus undergraduate and graduate student employees must be appointed a total of 49% or less of full time.

Note: All student employees holding F1 and J1 visas will be exempt from these withholding requirements.

Students who do not meet exemption criteria will be required to contribute 1.45% of their gross earnings to Medicare and 7.5% of their gross earnings to the Defined Contribution plan (DCP), a tax-deferred University retirement program which is an alternative to OASDI (Social Security).

The DCP contributions remain the property of the student from whom they are withheld. Contributions are made on a pre-tax basis, which reduces the student’s tax liability in the year in which the contributions are made.

Taxes on the contributions and any earnings are deferred until the employee withdraws the money, which can occur upon termination of UC employment. As the DCP is a retirement plan, special rules, such as possible penalties for early withdrawal of accumulations, do apply.

When you are no longer a UC employee contact Fidelity at 1-800-343-0860 and let them know you want to collect your distribution.

back to top


The purpose of substitution procedures is to keep Library operations staffed. It is your responsibility to notify your supervisor immediately if you anticipate being absent from work. Your supervisor may require you to recruit an appropriately trained substitute. A substitute takes the responsibility to show up for those specific hours that need coverage and can work hours in addition to his or her regular schedule, up to but not exceeding 49% of all available work hours in the month.

back to top

Work Study Program

Students who are Work Study-eligible are sent a job referral through the Work Study office. Students will log into Work-Study to accept or decline the job offer. Once that's done, confirmation emails are sent to the student and LHRD.

The referral is good from the first of the referral month until either you are no longer enrolled (graduating in December, for example) or until the last day of the spring semester.

The work study year is from June 1 until the last day of the following Spring semester in mid May.

back to top

Performance Evaluation

Your supervisor will periodically review your job performance. An employee may also request an evaluation, including at the time of separation from Library employment. Please notify your supervisor in advance to allow time to complete the evaluation. During the evaluation process, you will have an opportunity to discuss your performance and the evaluation with your supervisor. These evaluations are part of your work record and may be used when prospective employers request employment references.

back to top

Vacation and Sick Leave and Holiday Benefits

If you work an approved exceptional schedule of more than 49% of the working hours in a month, you will earn sick leave credit and holiday pay on a month-to-month basis. These benefits are calculated at rates proportional to the percentage of time worked at or above 50%. Sick leave may be used in any month following the month in which it was accrued. You must report to your supervisor as soon as possible if you are ill and plan to use sick leave. You earn vacation leave after working 6 consecutive months at 50% time or more. Vacation leave must be approved in advance by your supervisor. Vacation and sick leave can be used only in lieu of regularly scheduled hours. Vacation and sick leave must be reported to and approved by your supervisor for specific days/times, not in lump sums or in addition to scheduled hours. Your supervisor will reflect your sick leave and/or vacation usage on your Caltime timesheet. To find out any accrued balances or to clarify the use of these benefits, consult your supervisor.

back to top

Jury Duty

The University does not pay students for time taken off to serve jury duty. Library Human Resources can provide a letter stating this policy to the student.

back to top

Student Health and Well-being

The University Health Services in Tang center offers Counseling and Psychological Services for UC Berkeley students.

CPS supports the emotional, psychological, educational, social and cultural development of all UC Berkeley students through a wide range of multiculturally based counseling, psychiatric, career, consultation, training and educational services.

For more information contact the Tang Center at 510-642-9494. The Tang center is located at 2222 Bancroft Way.

back to top

Safety and Work Related Injury

Familiarize yourself with Library emergency procedures and any procedures specific to your unit. Follow all posted safety regulations and report any hazards to your supervisor. If you should suffer a work related injury or illness, notify your supervisor immediately. To inquire about worker’s compensation benefits, contact Library Human Resources Department.

back to top

Leaving Employment

When you decide to leave your employment, notify your supervisor immediately, they will in turn notify HR with a separation form including your end date and information to turn off any access you may have.

back to top

Unemployment Insurance

The California Unemployment Insurance Code does not provide unemployment insurance coverage to students who are enrolled and regularly attending classes at the college or university where they are employed.

back to top

Student Services Team

The Student Employment staff is a valuable resource for you from the time you begin your job hunt until well after you have left employment at the Library. If you ever have questions about or problems concerning your job with the Library, don’t hesitate to stop by 110 Doe or email us at stuempl@library.berkeley.edu.

back to top

Return to Student Employment

Return to LHRD Home Page

line image
line image
Copyright (C) 2016 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved. Last updated 07/13/16. Server manager: Contact