LAUC-B Funding for Professional Development
LAUC-B encourages all librarians to participate in activities that will contribute to both individual professional development and the mission and goals of the Library and University. LAUC-B funds for such activities are requested in the budget each year as part of the contract and the sum received is allocated equally amongst all LAUC-B members. If there are unused funds from previous years, a supplement, again allocated equally, may be made. Further funding for professional development, travel and training, may be available from the Library Administration or an Affiliated Administration and is determined according to their own guidelines. A full description of funding for all Library employees is in the UC Berkeley Library Travel/Training/Development Support Policy.
- For information on using LAUC-B funding for professional membership dues, see the Membership Dues Program page.
- For procedures, policies and forms, refer to the Library Business Services Checklist for Travel, Entertainment and Other Check Requests
How to apply for LAUC-B travel funding and reimbursement
- Before traveling, fill out the Travel/Training/Development Form with the place and dates of your event. Library Business Services requires this form as evidence that leave has been approved.
- You sign it, have your supervisor sign it, then send it on to the appropriate AUL* for signature.
- The AUL* will sign it and return it to you. Keep this as you will need it later.
- Within 15 days after returning from the event, find the form you saved in Step 3. Fill in the actual expenses and attach original receipts for travel, lodging, meals, etc. Keep photocopies of everything and send the originals to Library Business Services (447 Doe Library).
* Affiliated Librarians will follow their individual procedures for travel approval.
- Submit an approval form at any time throughout the year.
- Use one form for each event.
- Receipts are required for reimbursement.
- LAUC-B member librarians appointed any time during the fiscal year are eligible for that year’s allocation.
- Employees on Leave and Employees recalled from Retirement are not eligible for LAUC-B funds.
- An individual’s unused allocation is not added to his/her standard allocation the following year.
- Campus travel policies normally do not allow reimbursement for expenses incurred within the vicinity of an employee’s workplace, though exceptions can be made.
Instructions for using Connexxus to book a flight (Library Business Services site)
Reimbursement - Conference Shift and Overlap Dates
Occasionally, library association conferences or other professional development events normally scheduled within an academic calendar year shift to the next fiscal year (FY) or overlap two academic years. This policy exists to clarify reimbursement procedures in the years when such exceptions occur.
This policy applies to LAUC-B members who report to the University Librarian and to professional development funds allocated by both LAUC-B and the Librarian’s Office. With respect to LAUC-B members in Affiliated Libraries, however, this policy applies only to professional development funds available to them from LAUC-B.
Occasionally, a sponsoring organization schedules a conference for the current academic year in the next year. For example, the Annual ALA Conference in June is sometimes scheduled in July, after the start of the next fiscal year. In such instances, the following procedures apply:
- The LAUC-B Chair must submit a request to the Financial Analyst for Library Business Services (Kris Leonardo in the 2012-13 FY) in Library Business Office.
- The request must ask that LAUC-B members be allowed to have current FY funds applied to reimbursements for conferences or events actually occurring early in the following fiscal year.
- The Financial Analyst obtains approval for the request from the Library’s Chief Financial Officer & Director.
- After approval is obtained, the LAUC-B Chair notifies LAUC members that they may request to apply current FY funds for conferences or events occurring in the following fiscal year.
- LAUC members need to submit their request with their Travel/Training/Development Form.
The Financial Analyst will apply available current FY funds when conference or event dates overlap two consecutive fiscal years.
Insufficient Funds Available
If expenses exceed the current FY balance, the Financial Analyst will first apply the remaining current FY funds, and then apply funds from the next FY allocation. LAUC-B members do not need to make a special request to draw on the following year’s funds.
Funding available in recent years
|Year||LAUC-B Funds||Library Administration Funds**|
** Affiliated Librarians are not eligible for this sum, though their individual libraries may provide a level of professional development, travel and training funding.