LAUC-B encourages all librarians to participate in activities that will contribute to both individual professional development and the mission and goals of the Library and University. LAUC-B funds for such activities are requested in the budget each year as part of the contract and the sum received is allocated equally amongst all LAUC-B members. If there are unused funds from previous years, a supplement, again allocated equally, may be made. Further funding for professional development, travel and training, may be available from the Library Administration or an Affiliated Administration and is determined according to their own guidelines. A full description of funding for all Library employees is in the UC Berkeley Library Travel/Training/Development Support Policy.
For information on using LAUC-B funding for professional membership dues, see the Membership Dues Program page.
Refer to the Library Business Services Checklist for Travel, Entertainment and Other Check Requests for procedures, policies and forms.
How to apply for LAUC-B travel funding and reimbursement:
- Before traveling, fill out the Travel/Training/Development Form with the place and dates of your event. Library Business Services requires this form as evidence that leave has been approved.
- You sign it, have your supervisor sign it, then send it on to the appropriate AUL* for signature.
- The AUL* will sign it and return it to you. Keep this as you will need it later.
- Within 15 days after returning from the event, find the form you saved in No. 3. Fill in the actual expenses and attach original receipts for travel, lodging, meals, etc. Keep a photocopy of everything and send the originals to Library Business Services (447 Doe Library). The reimbursement process will be initiated without delay.
* Affiliated Librarians will follow their individual procedures for travel approval.
- Submit an approval form at any time throughout the year.
- Use one form for each event.
- Receipts are required for reimbursement.
- LAUC-B member librarians appointed any time during the fiscal year are eligible for that year’s allocation.
- Employees on Leave and Employees recalled from Retirement are not eligible for LAUC-B funds.
- Unused money will be carried over to the following year’s budget.
- Campus travel policies normally do not allow reimbursement for expenses incurred within the vicinity of an employee’s workplace, though exceptions can be made.
Instructions for using Connexxus to book a flight (Library Business Services site)
|Year||LAUC-B Funds||Library Administration Funds**|
** Affiliated Librarians are not eligible for this sum, though their individual libraries may provide a level of professional development, travel and training funding.