Committee on Affiliated Libraries
- Jason Miller, Chair (2014)
- Kendra Levine (2015)
- Rita Evans, ex-officio (LAUC-B Vice-Chair) (2013-14)
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014, the Committee on Affiliated Libraries Affairs heldour Spring Assembly in Room 141, Boalt Hall. Our featured speaker was Adi Kamdar, an Activist with the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Adi spoke about about recent legal and legislatively developments pertaining to Open Access, and some of the advocacy work EFF has done with students, Librarians, and faculty. He explained some federal and state bills that are addressing open access issues and some of the effects these bills could have. The assembly was very well attended, with attendees from many affiliated libraries as well as the main and branch libraries. A lively discussion of issues in the open access arena was had. Questions and answers after Adi's talk lasted right until the last scheduled minutes of the assembly, indicative of the interest and enthusiasm for this topic.
-- Jason Miller, Chair
Nominations and Elections Committee
- Michaelyn Burnette, Co-Chair (2014)
- Brian Quigley, Co-Chair (2014)
- Marlene Harmon (2015)
- Monica Singh (2015)
The Nominations and Elections Committee has received nominations and identified candidates willing to run in the upcoming LAUC-B election. The positions open this year include Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, Secretary, two Library Representatives, and an Affiliated Representative. Candidates will be announced at the LAUC-B Spring Assembly on Wednesday, April 30, and further nominations will be sought from the floor during that meeting. Voting will again be through an online ballot for both LAUC-B and LAUC statewide elections. Candidate statements will be available on the LAUC-B website. The online polls will be open from May 16 until June 2. Online ballots will be due by the close of election day, June 2.
-- Michaelyn Burnette and Brian Quigley, Co-Chairs
Committee on Diversity
- Imadelden Abuelgasim, Co-Chair (2014)
- Karen Yu, Co-Chair (2014)
- Liladhar Pendse (2015)
- Virginia Shih (2015)
- Sarah Ngo, (SDC Representative) (2015)
- Susan Wong, ex officio (LHRD Representative)
- Jane Rosario, ex officio (LAUC Statewide Committee on Diversity)
In 2013 the committee appointed Sarah Ngo as the SDC representative. For 2013-14 the committee planned and finalized the Library Day of Cultural Diversity event, which will take place on Wednesday, April 30 2014 from 8:30-10:00 am (for the first time) at UC Berkeley library (Morison Library). This is to celebrate diversity at UC Berkeley library. The event will feature a speech by Gibor Basri, Vice Chancellor – Equity & Inclusion, University of California, Berkeley and Lillian Castillo-Speed, Head Librarian, Ethnic Studies Library, University of California, Berkeley. There will be also 2 traditional dances.
The committee also plans to continue its connections with the Vice Chancellor’s Office in the Division of Equity & Inclusion for programs and with HAAS Institute for the possibility of extending an invitation to speakers on diversity for the Library staff in the fall of 2014.
-- Karen Yu and Imad Abuelgasim, Co-Chairs
Committee on Research
- Kendra K. Levine (Chair, Affiliated representative)(2014)
- Jim Church (2014)
- Lisa Ngo, ex officio (Representative to LAUC Statewide Committee on Research and Professional Development) (2014)
- Ramona Martinez (2015)
In Fall,2013, the Committee distributed the call for proposal for LAUC grants and to apply for the Townsend Center Library Fellowship. The Committee received no LAUC Research Grant or Mini Grant proposals this year. One proposal for a Presentation Grant was submitted, which was forwarded to the LAUC statewide Committee on Research. The Committee has no word as yet on whether the proposal has been accepted.
-- Kendra K. Levine, Chair
Committee on Appointment, Promotion and Advancement (CAPA)
- Debbie Jan, (Co-chair)
- Claude Potts (Co-chair)
- Kai Stoeckenius (Chair, Retired)
- Manuel Erviti
- Julie Lefevre
- Ramona Martinez
- Teresa Mora
- Susan Xue
CAPA would like to thank Kai Stoeckenius for his service as CAPA Chair at the beginning of this year. The past 6 months have been especially busy. This is partially due to the new MOU, late transition of non-represented librarians, and an influx of new recruitments.
Librarian position descriptions:
CAPA reviews position descriptions for openings in the Librarian series. In coordination with LHRD, CAPA is in the process of revising the basic position description information to incorporate the new MOU language and campus requirements. Since November, CAPA has reviewed 7 new position announcements and is in the process of reviewing 4 other positions.
7 position descriptions reviewed:
- Digital Archivist, The Bancroft Library
- Digital Services Librarian, Public Health Library
- Head, Reference and Research Services, The Bancroft Library
- Head of the Arts & Humanities Division
- Head of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Division
- Head of the Health Sciences and Life Sciences Division
- Head of the Social Sciences Division
CAPA candidate interviews:
CAPA interviews all candidates for positions in the Librarian series to evaluate their potential for obtaining career status at Berkeley and to share information related to the Librarian review process. All interview documentation was revised to incorporate the new MOU language. Since November, CAPA has conducted 15 interviews for 5 positions:
5 positions interviewed for:
- Associate Librarian/Archivist, Environmental Design Archives, College of Environmental Design (3)
- Digital Archivist, The Bancroft Library (3)
- Earth Sciences & Physical Sciences Librarian (3)
- Natural Sciences Librarian, Bioscience & Natural Resources Library (2)
- Rare Books Librarian, The Bancroft Library (4)
CAPA has been meeting weekly since February to review 32 cases. Several Ad Hoc Committees were constituted and all have finished their assigned cases. Several cases are still outstanding.
-- Debbie Jan and Claude Potts, Co-Chairs