LAUC-B Executive Committee
March 6, 2013
10 am – 12 pm
Room 303 Doe Library
Members present: Susan Edwards (chair), Lynn Jones, Julie Lefevre, Teresa Mora (recorder), Jim Ronningen, Nick Robinson, Susan Xue
Guests: Shayee Khanaka
- The Affiliated Libraries Assembly will be held on April 2 from 8:30-10am in the Warren Room of the Law School. Marti Hearst of the I-School will be speaking.
A. Treasurer's Report (S. Xue)
- The current balance is $80,337.84
B. Meeting with the University Librarian (S. Edwards, L. Jones)
- T. Leonard reported that M. Lovell and J. Midgley are trying to revive the library advisory committees.
- S. Edwards and L. Jones invited T. Leonard to the Spring Assembly.
- There was no report from the University Librarians as they had not met.
- T. Leonard stated that he thought there was some controversy over the HOPS proposal.
- T. Leonard feels that LAUC representation is inherent in the new advisory structure as every librarian is a member of LAUC. S. Edwards and L. Jones stressed that they felt there was a need to have a dedicated representative dedicated to reporting back to LAUC.
C. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (L. Jones)
- J. Midgley reported back on the Commission's meeting with the Council of Deans. He feels there is a division between professional schools and academic programs in terms of library support.
- Senate Faculty will hold a town hall meeting on the Library on April 10 in Morrison. Breakout groups will focus on the issues of funding, technology, open access, and staffing and services.
- The Commission report is now due at the end of the semester rather than the original due date of March 15, 2013.
- L. Jones presented a brief review of the LAUC-B presentation to Commission.
- T. Leonard mentioned that he will be participating in a meeting about sharing foreign language cataloging responsibilities on a national level.
- Bernie reported that the Library would need increases of at least eight million dollars in staffing and nine million for collections to return to an ARL ranking of 4.
D. LAUC Statewide Conference Call of Month XX, 2012 (S. Edwards, N. Robinson)
- No meeting and no report.
III. Continuing Business
A. LAUC-B Spring Assembly planning
- There was discussion of how to organize and publicize the event.
- It was decided that we focus on breakout groups devoted to each of four questions (all but number 2) given to us by LAUC statewide. Ex Comm members will take notes and compile comments for submission to statewide.
- The documents to be discussed and the questions will be distributed to the membership ahead of time.
- The business portion of the meeting will be scheduled from 3-4:15 at which point we will break into a more informal reception.
B. Update from Professional Development Committee on travel funding (H. Schiraldi)
- No update
IV. New Business
A. LAUC-B Chairs and Commission subcommittee discussion of library staffing
- J. Midgley has asked for LAUC-B's input on staffing levels.
- B. Dupuis has already provided Ex Comm with a list of lost positions as well as interim appointments (including expiration dates) which we will forward onto J. Midgley to give the Commission a better idea of the current situation.
- There was discussion of whether LAUC-B needs to continue to clarify what our jobs entail.