Executive Committee Minutes 02/09/2012
LAUC-B Executive Committee
February 9, 2012
10 am – 12 pm
Room 119 Moses Hall (IGS Harris Room)
Members present: Lillian Castillo-Speed, Susan Edwards, Dana Jemison, Susan Koskinen, Julie Lefevre, Jeffery Loo (recorder), Nick Robinson (chair), Kai Stoeckenius, Susan Xue
- No announcements
A. Treasurer's Report (S. Xue)
- The LAUC-B account balance of February 8, 2012, is $115,384.72.
B. Meeting with the University Librarian (N. Robinson, S. Edwards)
- Nick and Susan Edwards met with Tom and shared with him the LAUC-B Executive Committee’s charge for the Retention Survey Task Force and discussed preliminary plans for the LAUC-B Spring Assembly.
- Tom will be attending an upcoming 3-day SOPAG meeting (Systemwide Operations and Planning Advisory Group).
- The Council of University Librarians will meet on June 14-16 at UCSC.
C. Library and Information Technology Committee, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (S. Edwards)
- The Committee met on February 7, 2012.
- The guest speaker was Dean Andrew Szeri, the Dean of the Graduate Division and the Faculty Head of Operational Excellence.
- Dean Szeri spoke about the Operational Excellence (OE) project and focused on the productivity suite funding model (http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/funding/index.html) and IT governance. There was discussion about the motivation for the productivity suites initiatives (to save administrative costs), the upcoming deployment of Google calendar and email, and the progress in OE (http://oe.berkeley.edu).
- The University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC) is exploring the development of a system-wide open access policy for UC.
- Molly Van Houweling of the Law School is drafting an OA policy proposal for UCB that will complement the UC-wide effort.
D. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (S. Edwards, N. Robinson)
- There was discussion about the development of a wiki for memorial statements for LAUC librarians.
- LAUC Statewide is interested in greater involvement in discussions and developments with the UC Online Instruction Pilot Project.
- UC Merced will be launching an online introductory math course this Spring 2012 as part of the project.
- Currently, each campus will use their institutional online learning system for classes, but the Pilot Project is looking to a common system for UC in the future.
- The goal is to use open access literature and instructional materials as much as possible for the online classes.
- The LAUC Statewide Assembly will be held on May 10, 2012 at the UCSC Extension Center in Santa Clara.
- LAUC hopes to broadcast a video feed of the Assembly to the campuses.
- There will be an announcement for travel awards to attend the Assembly; these awards will target new LAUC members.
- The LAUC Research and Professional Development Committee noted the low number of applications for research grants and presentation awards this year.
- The Committee believes this may be due to fewer librarians, potentially less support for research due to heavier workload, and an application process and grant cycle timeline that may be out of sync with librarians’ schedules and needs. The Committee will explore these concerns further.
- There have been nominations for the Statewide LAUC Secretary and Vice President
positions. LAUC is still recruiting and hope to receive more candidates.
- For this year’s statewide elections, LAUC is looking to use Ballot Bin, the online election tool, http://www.ballotbin.com. There will be testing of this service at various campus divisions before the actual election.
III. Continuing Business
A. Retention Survey Task Force (S. Edwards)
- The Task Force includes Susan Edwards (chair), Harrison Dekker, Dana Jemison, and Julie Lefevre.
- The survey of the LAUC-B membership about the aspects of working at UC Berkeley that support librarian retention and recruitment, as well as needed improvements in these areas, will be conducted via Drupal.
- There was group discussion and brainstorming on the survey questions from the 2007 survey, and changes that we might want to make for 2012.
B. Spring Assembly planning (N. Robinson)
- The LAUC-B Spring Assembly will be held on Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 8:30 -10:00 am at the Morrison Library.
- The speaker will be Professor Margaretta Lovell, Chair of the Library and Information Technology Committee.
- There was discussion on potential topics for the LAUC and the Affiliated Libraries Spring Assemblies.
C. Distinguished Librarian Award planning (S. Koskinen)
- The LAUC-B Executive Committee approved the Distinguished Librarian Award Committee that consists of Susan Koskinen (Chair), Bette Anton (DLA Award Recipient), I-Wei Wang (Affiliated Libraries) and John Shepard (Library). A faculty member will be appointed soon.
- Details of the award nomination process and the prize are outlined at http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/dla/index.html.
- A message calling for nominations will be sent out soon.
D. 2013 LAUC-B Conference planning (N. Robinson)
- Thank you to Chris Tarr for agreeing to chair the Conference Planning Committee. A call for volunteers will be coming out soon.
- The Executive Committee discussed possible venues (Brower Center) and potential topics for the conference (including the value of academic libraries with a component on assessment).
IV. New Business
A. Website update (S. Koskinen, J. Lefevre)
- Susan Koskinen and Julie Lefevre presented on their updates to the LAUC-B website (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/). Images have been added, content and rosters have been standardized and consolidated, content has been re-organized, and “subject guides” on librarian review, professional development, and research opportunities have been developed.
- Future plans for the website includes more dynamic content and an events directory module.
- Please send website improvement suggestions to Susan Koskinen and Julie Lefevre.