LAUC-B Executive Committee
Thursday, 14 July 2011
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
303 Doe Library
Members Present: Kathleen Gallagher, Sue Koskinen, Ramona Martinez, Margaret Phillips, Nick Robinson, Shannon Supple, and I-Wei Wang
Guest: Lily Castillo-Speed
• The next ExComm meeting is the turnover meeting, scheduled for 17 August 2011 at 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in 303 Doe Library.
• Congratulations to Randy Brandt, Jeff Loo, and Susan Xue on their LAUC Research Grants and to Randy Brandt on his LAUC presentation grant!
• Sue Koskinen has set up one LAUC mentorship this summer.
A. Treasurer's Report (I. Wang): The account balance is $84,852.11.
B. Meeting with the University Librarian (S. Koskinen, N. Robinson)
• The Bancroft Library Director search update: The search committee has sent Tom Leonard their recommendation.
• LIBR currently is seeking a new chair.
• T. Leonard met with Nick Jewell to discuss the Library Planning Task Force report. (T. Leonard and Bernie Hurley will attend the LAUC-B brown bag on the report, to be held on 11 August.)
• Open positions at the Law Library: Director of Collection Services (LAUC-B member but not librarian series) and Student Journal Coordinator (non-librarian position and not a LAUC-B member).
• T. Leonard suggested considering UCLA University Librarian Gary Strong as a speaker at the Fiat Flux conference.
• UC-wide Human Resources group will meet soon.
• There is a delay with Affiliated Librarian review letters being sent out. The new Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Faculty Welfare, Janet Broughton, began on 1 July 2011.
• A report reviewing the California Digital Library (CDL) should be out soon.
C. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (N. Robinson): LIBR has not met since the previous LAUC-B ExComm meeting.
D. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (S. Koskinen)
• The LAUC Committee on Professional Governance report is complete and has been circulated via email.
• LAUC Statewide has not held a conference call since the previous LAUC-B ExComm meeting but President Michael Yonezawa sent an email with issues to be discussed to the group, including the Library Planning Task Force Report.
III. Continuing Business
A. Library Planning Task Force Report Brown Bag (S. Koskinen, N. Robinson): LAUC-B will hold a brown bag on August 11, 2011 at 12:00-1:00 p.m. in 303 Doe Library to discuss the report. Tom Leonard and Bernie Hurley will be attending.
B. LAUC-B Committee Updates (S. Koskinen)
• Nominations and Elections Committee: Terry Huwe has kindly agreed to complete departing chair John Gallwey’s term.
• Committee on Professional Development: Departing chair Kendra Levine has briefed the remaining committee members, who will complete the committee’s work.
• Debbie Jan is the Berkeley nominee for the LAUC Statewide Diversity Committee.
C. Fiat Flux, LAUC-B Conference (M. Phillips, I-W. Wang)
• The closing speaker has had to withdraw, so the planning committee is working on a short list of potential speakers to replace him.
• The programming committee had a very successful site visit to the David Brower Center, the conference venue.
IV. New Business
A. Professional Development Funding: LAUC-B members will receive $1200 for professional development funding for fiscal year 2011-2012. Librarians in the Library will receive an additional amount, equivalent to the amount from the previous fiscal year.
B. LAUC-B Archives:
• Kathi Neal is the LAUC-B archivist. Committee chairs and members should refer to the archives policy on the LAUC-B website: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/archives/index.html and follow their procedures for submitting materials from committee binders to the LAUC-B archives.
• Where should active (not yet ready for archiving) LAUC-B materials, such as flip charts, banners, and the like, be kept? S. Koskinen will look into securing a storage space for such items.