Meeting No. 1997/98 (1) 17 September 1997 9:00 - 11:00 AM, 109 Moses Hall MINUTES Present: W. Benemann (out-going Secretary), R. Brandt, T. Dean, G. Irving (CAPA), D. Jan, R. Moon, G. Peete, V. Shih, D. Sommer (Chair), A. Swartzell, C. Tarr, K. Vanden Heuvel, L. Vida-Sunnen, J. Von Euw, B. Weil Absent: C.Lee, G. Peete, A. Sevetson Handouts: Agenda; Minutes of Meeting 1996/97 (13); Draft budget; Letter to Peter Lyman; Roster of Executive Committee; Memo from CAPA I. Turn-over formalities -- D. Sommer The out-going members of the Executive Committee were thanked for their service to LAUC-B, and the new members were welcomed. II. Announcements -- D. Sommer a.) Andrea Sevetson has been designated as the LAUC-B representative to the Blue Ribbon Committee on the Library. b.) An ad hoc committee was appointed to prepare materials for the Blue Ribbon Committee. c.) New committee members were announced for both LAUC-B and LAUC Statewide committees. III. The MINUTES for meeting 1996/97 (13) were approved, with
amendments. IV. Treasurer's report -- D. Jan The proposed LAUC-B budget for 1997/98 was presented. The amount budgeted for G.A. has been adjusted to reflect a decreased need for a student assistant position. LAUC-B Executive Committee members may request reimbursement from B. Weil if they use students from their own units to perform LAUC work. ACTION: D. Sommer and T. Dean will draft a cover letter, and send the proposed budget to The Vice Chancellor. We continue to have difficulty in formulating an accurate, up-to-date LAUC-B membership list. ACTION: D. Jan will update the membership list and distribute it to the appropriate people. V. Old business -- D. Sommer a.) LAUC-B would like to sponsor a conference in early May 1998. After two conferences that focused on copyright issues, it was felt that this conference should be on a different topic. Scholarly publishing and communication was suggested as a topic. It was pointed out that the financial success of the past two conferences was largely a factor of choosing a topic that appealed to the private sector, and those attendees who were willing to pay the full registration fee. ACTION: D. Sommer will approach LAUC-B members to see if they would be willing to organize the conference. b.) The LAUC-B Fall Assembly has been tentatively scheduled for November 11, 12 or 13. A meeting place needs to be found. ACTION: K. Vanden Heuvel will check on the availability of the Goldberg VIP Room at the Law School for those dates. Various people were discussed as possible speakers for the Fall Assembly. VI. CAPA -- G. Irving Timeliness in the processing of performance evaluations continues to be a problem. A question has arisen concerning situations in which the final decision-maker requests additional information about the librarian being evaluated. D. Sommer feels there may be a need to organize a Professional Governance Committee, a body to which LAUC-B members can turn when they have questions about the peer review process. CAPA members currently involved in peer review are not free to answer non-procedural questions that arise (e.g. provide advice about which documentation to include in a particular dossier), but a committee or ombudsperson -- particularly former CAPA member(s) -- could discuss all aspects of the process. The discussion was not conclusive. VII. Travel -- D. Jan D. Jan reviewed the handling of travel funds in 1996/97. VIII. Divisional monitoring -- D. Sommer In order to stay in touch with issues and activities in other LAUC Divisions, D. Sommer asked Executive Committee members to assume responsibility for monitoring the Minutes of other LAUC divisional meetings. Executive Committee members will report to the Committee any items they think to be of particular interest or relevance. The next LAUC-B Executive Committee meeting will be Tuesday, October 21st, from 9:00 am to 11:00 am, in 109 Moses.