Executive Committee Minutes 6/8/06

Minutes Meeting No. 10 

LAUC-B Executive Committee Meeting 

June 8, 2006 
10:00 am – 12:00 noon 
303 Doe 

Present: Lily Castillo-Speed (Chair), Lucia Diamond (Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect), Chris Tarr (Past 
Chair), Brian Quigley (Secretary), Harrison Dekker (Treasurer), Manuel Erviti (Library 
Representative), Teresa Mora (Library Representative), Rita Evans (Affiliated Libraries 

Guest: Lincoln Cushing 

I. Announcements 

H. Dekker: The Labor-Management Committee on Librarian Recuitment and 
Retention will produce a report to document the issues involved. They will examine 
data from surveys that Library Human Resource Departments have completed 
when librarians have turned down offers or left the University. 

R. Evans: Dan Krummes is retiring and Rita Evans has been appointed the new 
Director of the Transportation Studies Library. ExComm encouraged Dan to apply 
for emeritus status. 

II. Reports 

A. Treasurer's Report (H. Dekker) 

Balance as of June 8 is $86,592.21. Funds for 2005/2006 have been deposited. 

B. Meeting with the University Librarian (L. Castillo-Speed/L. Diamond) 

Lily and Lucia met with UL Tom Leonard on June 6. They discussed possible proposals 
for the Berkeley Initiative for Leadership on Diversity (BILD), including proposals to 
establish a Diversity Fellowship and for processing diverse collections. They also 
discussed the proper coding of retired librarians in the HR system, so they can receive 
the benefits to which they are entitled. Susan Wong will investigate. 

III. Continuing Business 

A. LAUC Statewide Spring Assembly: Report and Issues 

Lily reported on the LAUC Spring Assembly. Minutes will be available on the LAUC 
website at http://www.ucop.edu/lauc/assembly/index.html. 

The Executive Board discussed the question of diminishing resources and the planning of 
future LAUC assemblies. Some ideas were brought up, including: (1) holding only one 
statewide assembly per year, or (2) waiting until a designated time then canceling the 
assembly if there is no urgent LAUC business. 

Action Item: Lily will ask the LAUC-B membership for feedback on this issue. 

B. LAUC-B Conference Committee 

ExComm appointed the following members to the Conference Planning Committee: Jean 
McKenzie, Karen Munro, Jim Ronningen, Dean Rowan, and Allan Urbanic. ExComm 
agreed that the committee members would select their chair. 

Action Item: Lily will inform the committee members of their appointments. 

C. Further Recommendations for DLA Committee 

Lily will chair the next Distinguished Librarian Award (DLA) Committee, and she will still 
be on ExComm as the Past Chair. ExComm agreed that Lily will discuss changes with 
the DLA Committee as they come up, then bring them to ExComm for approval. 

D. Further Recommendations for Committee on Diversity 


ExComm discussed the list of questions sent by Dayna Holz, chair of the Committee on 

Action Item: Teresa Mora will send ExComm’s answers to the Committee on Diversity. 

E. Planning for Meeting with CAPA 

ExComm discussed issues and questions that might be covered in the meeting with 
CAPA on July 14. It was suggested that LAUC-B might investigate how other campuses 
handle merit reviews and consider streamlining merit reviews here. 

Rita volunteered to take minutes for the next meeting as Brian will be absent. 

Action Item: Lily will send questions to ExComm and CAPA. 

IV. New Business 

A. LAUC Representative to Staff Development Committee 

ExComm agreed to delegate this to the Nominations & Elections Committee. 

B. Draft Statement on Librarian Retention 

Lincoln Cushing provided background on the draft statement on librarian retention. 
ExComm discussed the issues and agreed to support the statement 

Action Item: ExComm will revise and approve the statement via email. 

C. Emeritus/Retirement Issues 

Lily and Lucia discussed this with Tom Leonard at their monthly meeting. Susan Wong 
will investigate. 

D. TALAG Discussion of Regional Library Facilities 

Rita distributed notes on the TALAG discussion of the Regional Library Facilities. 


Next LAUC-B ExComm meeting will be held on Friday, July 14, 10am -12pm, 303 Doe