LAUC-B Executive Committee Meeting
Thursday, February 8, 2007
10:00 a.m. - 12 noon
Present: Lucia Diamond (Chair), Lily Castillo-Speed (Past Chair), Jennifer Nelson (Secretary),
Harrison Dekker (Treasurer), Susana Hinojosa (Library Representative), Jean Dickinson (Library
Representative), Susan Garbarino (Affiliated Representative)
Absent: Armanda Barone (Vice Chair/Chair Elect)
Guests: Barbara Bohl, Judy Bolstad, James Eason, Manuel Erviti, Saima Fazli, John Gallwey
10:00 – 12:00 a.m. Meeting open to all
• Susana Hinojosa and Lily Castillo-Speed met with newer librarians who are participating
in the mentor program as “mentees.” The purpose of the meeting was to get feedback
about the mentor program. Many good points were made, which will be discussed in
more detail at the March ExComm meeting.
• Susana Hinojosa and Jennifer Nelson met with Elizabeth Leavitt to discuss ideas about
how to get timely information to the LAUC-B Secretary and Mentorship Program
Coordinator about new hires.
• Congratulations to Dan Krummes who was recently given the title of Emeritus Librarian.
A. Treasurer's Report (H. Dekker)
• Balance as of 02/08/2007 is $30,438.
• Discussed importance of encouraging people to use travel funds.
• Suggestion to provide specific examples of professional development courses people
could take at local institutions (UC Extension, SF State’s College of Extended Learning,
• More detailed analysis of current travel pattern needed.
• Proposal to host brown bag about what the $775 can be used for (i.e. not just travel but
B. Meeting with the University Librarian (L. Diamond and A. Barone)
• Tom Leonard was unable to attend the University Librarian’s meeting with OCLC (about
OCLC being a candidate for UC’s integrated library system (ILS)), but he will provide
ExComm with an update after he himself is briefed.
• Discussed librarian peer review process.
• Digital Library Foundation will now be located at Berkeley. CAPA gave up its room to
the DLF Executive Director and will be sharing a different room with a limited number
of other groups.
• Discussed status of campus diversity initiatives.
C. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (no meeting)
III. Request for support of library in Haiti (L. Diamond) (discussed out of order after Committee
on Diversity update)
• Nadège T. Clitandre, a PhD candidate in the African Diaspora Studies Program at UCB,
informed Lucia Diamond about an upcoming fundraiser in April (tentatively April 29th)
to raise money for the Bibliothèque du Soleil, a library in Haiti. She will send Lucia more
information about the event, as well as publicity materials, which will be shared with
• The French Department and The Library Gift and Exchange Program have donated many
books of French and English literature to the library.
IV. Committee on Diversity update (J. Bolstad) (discussed out of order, before Request for
support of library in Haiti)
• Clarification about charge to Committee on Diversity.
• Suggestion to look at UC Berkeley Office for Faculty Equity website to get some ideas
about diversity initiatives and language.
• Follow up on Diversity Fellow program
• Clarification about charge of the Task Force on Recruitment. Saima Fazli to revise and
resubmit for approval.
• Discussed possible template of language for job announcements that emphasizes diversity
as a core value.
11:00 – noon (approximately) Meeting closed
V. CAPA (confidential meeting with members of CAPA and ExComm)
VI. New Business
None discussed at this time.
VII. Next Meeting (Friday, March. 9, 10:00 a.m. - noon, 303 Doe; N.B.: change of date from
Thursday to Friday)
• Spring Assembly planning
• Mentor Program Coordinator meeting with newer librarians/“mentees”