Minutes – Meeting No. 7 – March 10, 2004
LAUC-B Executive Committee Meeting March 10, 2004
10:00 - 12 noon
Doe Library – Rm. 303
Present: Allan Urbanic, Myrtis Cochran, Chris Tarr (facilitator), Linda McLane, Lincoln Cushing, David de Lorenzo, Paul Atwood, Jane Rosario (recorder). Guests: Rita Evans, Barbara Glendenning, Phoebe Janes, Jim Ronningen.
Absent: Ilan Eyman.
Allan announced that LAUC has new stationery, which incorporates UC Merced into the letterhead.
- Treasurer's Report - L. McLane
Balance is $30,554.21
- Meeting with the University Librarian - A. Urbanic/C. Tarr
Tom had no additional information regarding the budget.
III. New Topics
- LAUC-B Position on Librarian Layoffs – D. de Lorenzo
David suggested that LAUC draft a statement encouraging the University Librarian and Library Administration to avoid layoffs of library staff. David noted that since the budget cuts of the 1990s, the loss of professional positions within the library has been permanent.
Action: David will draft a statement regarding this and submit it to ExComm before the end of March.
- Round Robin with LAUC-B Committee Chairs
- Committee on Professional Development, Jim Ronningen, Chair:
Jim reported on the committee’s work, including the well-attended CAPA review Early Bird last fall. Jim announced the upcoming Early Bird on the hybrid venture of the San Jose Public Library and San Jose State Libraries (http://www.sjpl.lib.ca.us/), which will be on March 25.
Phoebe reported that the committee is working on securing candidates for the upcoming election and coordinating dates with the Statewide LAUC election.
- Nominations and Elections Committee, Phoebe Janes, Co-Chair:
Rita reported on the November event that the committee held to raise awareness about the Townsend Center. She also noted that applications were in for the LAUC Statewide Research Grants. ExComm agreed to look into discrepancies between the Statewide LAUC Research Committee structure and the LAUC-B Research Committee structure.
- Committee on Research, Rita Evans (reporting for David Sullivan, Chair):
- Committee on Academic Promotion and Advancement (CAPA), Barbara Glendenning, Chair:
- Affiliated Librarians and ARL Statistics Reporting
Lincoln is pursuing having Affiliated Librarians added to the Association of Research Libraries statistics reporting.
Action: Allan will pursue this with Susan Wong (LHRD) and UL Tom Leonard.
- Principal Investigator Status for Librarians
Action: Allan will request action on behalf of LAUC-B ExComm.
- Other Business
Parking Lot: Emeritus Status for Librarians – benefits
Next LAUC-B ExComm meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 10:00am to 12:00 noon in Room 303 Doe Library.