Executive Committee Minutes 07/14/2015

LAUC-B Executive Committee

July 14, 2015
9 am - 10:30 am
303 Doe Library

Members: Rita Evans (Chair), Kendra Levine, Lisa Ngo, Jesse Silva, Elliott Smith (recorder), I-Wei Wang

Guests: David Eifler (incoming Treasurer), Chris Marino (incoming CALA chair-elect and 2016-17 Affiliated Libraries Representative), Michele Morgan (incoming Library Representative), Emily Vigor (incoming Secretary)

 

I. Announcements

  • Early Bird on conferences: The LAUC-B Committee on Professional Development will sponsor an Early Bird on presentations LAUC-B members have given or sessions of interest they have attended at recent conferences. Coffee and tea will be provided.

Date: Tuesday, August 4, 2015
Time: 8:30-9 am (coffee), 9-10 am (program)
Location: 180 Doe

 

II. Reports

 

a. Treasurer (L. Ngo)

  • Current balance: $52,344

 

b. Meeting on professional development funding (I. Wang, by e-mail)

R. Evans, I. Wang, L. Ngo, and D. Eifler (incoming Treasurer) met with E. Dupuis (Co-Interim University Librarian), E. Woods (Library Business Services), and S. Wong (LHRD) to discuss the following issues regarding the LAUC-B budget for Fiscal Year 2015-16 and the future:

1. Clarification regarding use of the balance of LAUC-B funds (aside from amounts already committed for FY2014-15 professional development reimbursements and for the 2015 LAUC-B Conference) as a one-time additional professional development supplement for represented and non-represented members for FY2015-16.

  • The one-time use of “carryforward” amounts as a supplemental allocation was approved. The individual allocation of professional development funding amounts available for FY 2015-16 to all LAUC-B members (including union-represented and non-represented, and librarians reporting both to the University Librarian and to all of the Affiliated Libraries) was determined to be $1000.
  • ACTION ITEMS: R. Evans sent a message on July 27 to membership regarding allocation. E. Dupuis sent a message to directors of Affiliated Libraries regarding the University Library's funding of Affiliated Librarians for FY2015-16 and the intended model for future funding of professional development for librarians in those units.

2. Exploration of possibilities for multiple-year accruals of professional development funding allocations after FY2015-16.

  • Different possible models and periods of accrual, and the logistical implications of accounting for accruals, were discussed.
  • ACTION ITEMS: E. Woods and Library Business Services will explore mechanisms to implement multi-year accrual as a pilot program for FY2016-17 and 2017-18, with evaluation of usage and re-examination in light of the expected new MOU in 2018.

3. Clarification as to the funding of LAUC-B budget amounts attributable to MOU-mandated professional development funding for union-represented Law Librarian members of LAUC-B, and for matching amounts for non-represented Law Librarian members of LAUC-B, for FY2015-16, and future fiscal years.

  • The FY2015-16 professional development funding administered through LAUC-B includes amounts attributable to Law Library (including represented and non-represented) members of LAUC-B.
  • In future fiscal years, the School of Law will provide the professional development funds for LAUC-B members in that unit and will handle all aspects of the requests and reimbursements.  This includes the contract-mandated amount, matching funds for non-represented members, and any supplemental allocation.

 

c. Interim ULs meeting (R. Evans, I. Wang)

There will be no UL meeting in July. R. Evans and I. Wang will meet with AULs Erik Mitchell and Beth Dupuis in their roles as Interim ULs in August; I. Wang and Jennifer Nelson will meet with the Interim ULs in September.

 

d. LAUC statewide conference call (R. Evans)

  • LAUC Website - Redesigned website will be launched August 4.
  • Research and presentation grants - Anyone receiving a research grant must submit an End of Funding Period Report Form: (lauc.ucop.edu/committees/rpd/endoffundingeport.doc).
  • Academic Personnel Manual (APM) - The working group will have several conference calls in July and August and will submit proposed language to CoUL by September 8.
  • Statewide committees - The rotation schedule for the Chair/Vice Chair of committees was confirmed. Chairs will report to the board during the monthly calls. (Berkeley’s rep to the statewide Diversity Committee will be Vice Chair in 2015-2016 and Chair in 2016-2017.)
  • Shared Facilities Board - A call for a representative from LAUC to the reactivated board has gone out.
  • LAUC Position Papers – Reviewed and discussed Position Papers 1-4 and agreed to retire them as redundant or dated. Discussed possible topics for new papers.
  • UCLAS Webinars – Discussed content of webinars on UC Libraries Digital Collection, HathiTrust and UC Open Access Policy Implementation and possible topics for future webinars.

 

III. Old Business

 

a. 2015 LAUC-B Conference (L.Ngo)

Open Access: Reclaiming Scholarship for the Academy

Date: Friday, October 16, 2015
Time: 8:30 am - 5 pm
Location: David Brower Center, 2150 Allston Way, Berkeley CA

The Conference will feature keynotes by Michael Eisen and Randy Schekman, UC Berkeley faculty members and longtime open access advocates, as well as a panel discussion, poster sessions, lightning talks and breakout sessions.  Jeff MacKie-Mason has agreed to give the opening remarks.

The conference website is available at http://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/lauc-b-conference-2015. Registration will begin in early September.

 

b. Berkeley Procedures update (I. Wang)

ACTION ITEM: I. Wang will contact LHRD Director Susan Wong to confirm that the draft Procedures have been forwarded to the Academic Personnel Office.

 

c. Transition to bCourses (E. Smith)

All LAUC-B Committee chairs were contacted to insure that any bSpace sites were migrated to bCourses before June 30.

ACTION ITEM: E. Smith will follow up with the chairs of CAPA and Nominations and Elections to confirm that their sites have been migrated.

 

d. Emeritus status and updating website (R. Evans)

R. Evans confirmed that, in addition to those already listed on the LAUC-B website, the following librarians have received Librarian Emeritus status:

Bette Anton
Lucia Diamond
Gary Handman
Mary Ann Mahoney
James Spohrer
Allan Urbanic

ACTION ITEM: E. Smith will add these librarians to the list of Librarians Emeriti on the LAUC-B website: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/emeritus.html

 

e. Shared Library Facilities Board – nominations for LAUC seat (R. Evans)

Interested LAUC-B members are encouraged to apply, and R. Evans has approached some members to see if they would be willing to serve.

 

f. Diversity Committee membership, proposed bylaws change (R. Evans)

All but one member of the Diversity Committee was scheduled to rotate off this year. Michael Sholinbeck will remain, and L. Pendse has agreed to be reappointed. In consultation with the Diversity Committee, R. Evans is working on a revision to the bylaws to avoid the recurrence of this situation; she will present the new language at a business meeting in the fall, and the language will subsequently be voted on by the LAUC-B membership and, if passed, forwarded to Statewide LAUC for approval.

 

g. Meeting with new UL Jeffrey MacKie-Mason of Thursday, July 9 – next steps (All)

The meeting of LAUC-B ExComm with new UL J. MacKie-Mason on Thursday, July 9 was reviewed. It was agreed that fundraising will be a key issue for the new UL as he addresses the issues outlined in the welcome letter drafted by LAUC-B past chair Lynn Jones. Incoming chair I. Wang will invite him to meet with ExComm at some point in the fall, and suggested that it might be appropriate for the Fall Assembly program to involve the new UL.

 

h. Transition meeting/lunch – August 12 (R. Evans)

The meeting will be held in 251 Moffitt from 10:30 am - 1 pm.

 

IV. New Business

 

a. Berkeley Global Campus at Richmond Bay – What are potential roles for librarians? (All)

It was noted that as the largest library in UC system, NRLF might be a natural anchor tenant for this project. It was agreed that it was important to frame the NRLF expansion as an opportunity to provide increased services to the researchers at the Global Campus. This approach will be brought forward in future meetings with Library Admin and the Shared Library Facilities Board.