Executive Committee Minutes 07/10/2013

LAUC-B Executive Committee

July 10, 2013

11 am – 12 pm

Room 303 Doe Library

Members present: Susan Edwards (chair), Jim Church, Rita Evans, Cody Hennesy, Lynn Jones, Julie Lefevre (recorder), Kendra Levine, Jason Miller, Lisa Ngo, Nick Robinson, Jim Ronningen, Hilary Schiraldi, Elliott Smith

Guests: Kathi Neal

I. Invited speaker, Kathi Neal, Associate University Archivist, to discuss retention of LAUC-B born digital documents.

[In an email exchange with S. Edwards and ExComm prior to this meeting, K. Neal supplied current collecting policy for the LAUC-B website (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/archives/policy.html) and a retention schedule linked to the LAUC systemwide web page (http://lauc.ucop.edu/about/).]

S. Edwards noted that ExComm seeks advice on archiving born-digital documents (e.g. web page for Norma) -- can we use some tool to capture LAUC-B e-documents, rather than printing out a hard-copy archive.

  • K. Neal says the answer is a qualified "yes," contingent on discussion with Bancroft Technical Services staff to determine appropriate procedures.
  • Discussion of file formats to be archived:
    • email
    • LAUC-B pages on bSpace (mostly Word docs, some Excel files)
    • LAUC-B website
    • Word documents
    • PowerPoint (e.g., Commission slideshow)
    • video (N. Robinson noted that there are currently LAUC-B videos on the UCB YouTube channel)
  • K. Neal noted that she has been capturing UC Berkeley Library website (and the LAUC systemwide site) using CDL's Web Archiving Service. As the LAUC-B site falls under the library website domain, it has been captured as a part of this project. Frequency of crawl is every 3 months. This archive is currently not published (not publicly available).
  • K. Neal will check that appropriate levels are being captured.
  • K. Neal reported that the most recent hard copy archived with Bancroft was 2010 (i.e., material through August 2010).
  • J. Church suggested using the LAUC-B home page as seed page for archiving the site, instead of just including it within the larger library site. This may improve search-ability.
  • N. Robinson will print out key documents from his year as chair: August 2011 - August 2012.
  • S. Edwards will print documents for 2012-13.
  • K. Neal believes the 2010-11 print archive was not deposited, but will double-check what the gap is.
  • K. Neal will consult with Josh Schneider (Bancroft Technical Services) about policy/procedures for archiving born-digital documents.
  • K. Neal will email with follow up information. Ideally will get procedures in place this summer.

II. Announcements

  • There were no announcements.
  • III. Reports

    A. Treasurer's Report (S. Xue)

    • The treasurer was not present, so there was no treasurer's report.

    B. Meeting with the University Librarian-- no report, last meeting was 5/22

    C. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (S. Edwards, N. Robinson)

    • N. Robinson and S. Edwards reviewed of the discussion around possibly developing a statewide LAUC outstanding service award, proposed by Mitchell Brown (past president, LAUC statewide). Discussion will continue at August 7 LAUC statewide meeting.
    • N. Robinson, chair of the Research Grant Ad Hoc Committee, described the committee's work. Background: Keri Butello charged an ad hoc committee to look at statewide professional development procedures; specifically to:
      • review existing documentation
      • consider alternatives
      • make recommendations and suggest changes
    • The committee found that the timetable for presentation grant applications was problematic. Existing guidelines call for the application to be submitted in the fiscal year before the fiscal year when the money will be used. However, conference acceptance is typically only about three months before the conference.
    • The committee developed a new proposal, which is currently before Aimée Dorr at UCOP. Under the new proposal, LAUC has sole authority to approve research proposals, *in* the fiscal year the proposal is received. If the proposal is approved, it entrusts LAUC to determine internal procedures (making calls, reviewing proposals, and approving funds).
    • If approved, the proposal will be effective July 1. There will be a shortfall for 2013-14 because in the transition year, there will be two years' worth of desired funding, but only one year's worth of money. Therefore next year's call would note that there is less funding this year.

    D. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate-- no report, last meeting in May

    IV. New Business

    A. Nominations Committee Recommendation

    • Nominating Committee recommended ExComm review the bylaws to determine if the requirement to have a Townsend Fellow on the Research and Professional Development Committee should be changed. (This may be necessitated by the fact that there remain few former Townsend Fellows among librarians who could fulfill this role in the future.)
    • Review recommendation accepted.

    B. Recommendations from the Nominations and Elections Committee for LAUC-B committees:

    • Nominations and Elections Committee
      • Marlene Harmon (affiliated)
      • Dana Jemison
    • Diversity Committee
      • Liladhar Pendse
      • Virginia Shih
    • Professional Development Committee
      • Emily Vigor (affiliated)
      • Michele Morgan
      • Lydia Peterson
    • Research and Professional Development
      • Ramona Martinez (former Townsend fellow and affiliated)

    C. Funding the transition meeting lunch -- new terminology.

    • To be approved by LBS as an allowable expense, funding for the transition meeting lunch should be requested as an "employee morale-building activity." Incoming Ex-Comm membership should please note this new terminology.

    ACTION ITEMS

    • K. Neal will check that the LAUC-B website is being captured at the appropriate level.
    • N. Robinson will print out key documents from his year as chair: August 2011 - August 2012.
    • S. Edwards will print documents for 2012-13.
    • K. Neal will confirm whether the 2010-11 print archive for LAUC-B was deposited.
    • K. Neal will consult with Josh Schneider (Bancroft Technical Services) about policy/procedures for archiving born-digital documents.
    • K. Neal will email with follow up information to ExComm