Executive Committee Minutes 06/12/2013

LAUC-B Executive Committee

June 12, 2013
10 am – 12 pm
Room 303 Doe Library

Members present: Susan Edwards (chair), Lynn Jones, Julie Lefevre, Teresa Mora (recorder), Nick Robinson, Jim Ronningen, Susan Xue

I. Announcements

  • Former Berkeley librarian, Linda Vida has retired from UC Riverside.
  • S. Edwards will ask Desi who else is expected to retire in June so LAUC-B can prepare certificates. (n.b. - no librarians on list of retirees.)
  • The Commission Report was delivered to the Chancellor but there have been no updates.
  • LAUC statewide Research & Professional Development Committee has recommended that UCOP fund two research grant proposals from Berkeley librarians: 
    • Susan Edwards (Co-applicants: Jim Church, Jennifer Dorner, Hilary Schiraldi) - Collection Analysis for the Social Sciences 
    • Liladhar Ramchandra Pendse - Improving Access to the Late 19th Century and Early 20th Century Periodicals Press of Azerbaijan

II. Reports

A. Treasurer's Report (S. Xue)

  • The current balance is $61,388.84.

B. Meeting with the University Librarian (S. Edwards, L. Jones)

  • Discussed the LAUC Statewide Assembly and proposed LAUC Service Awards. T. Leonard thought such an award might be unpopular with some of the ULs who feel that it might strengthen the argument of those who want to include union recognition and contribution in their reviews.
  • T. Leonard reported a BigSky memo will soon be circulated regarding collection sharing of monographs. One issue is what entity should be responsible for sharing monographs- a UC-wide model, or something larger, such as WEST? ULs agreed this should be undertaken prospectively, rather than retrospectively.
  • T. Leonard stated that he’s heard Executive Vice Chancellor Breslauer thinks the Commission report is very smart. Library Administration is being given the opportunity to vet the facts cited in the report.
  • T. Leonard clarified that the current positions being hired are not contingent on additional funding.
  • He reported that the UCOP Office of Scholarly Communication is to be restructured but had no details on the matter.

C. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (S. Edwards, N. Robinson)

  • Appointments to the new Strategic Action groups were announced. Lisa Rowlison de Ortiz has been appointed LAUC representative to the Scholarly Research and Communication group.
  • A call for volunteers to serve on the Committee on Diversity and the Research and the Professional Development Committee has gone out. Berkeley librarians would be eligible to serve on either committee.

D. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (L. Jones)

  • Meetings have concluded for the year.

III. Continuing Business

A.Update on meeting with University Archivist (S. Edwards)

  • S.Edwards will ask K. Neal to join the July meeting to specifically discuss issues regarding the retention of LAUC-B’s electronic records.

B. Transition Planning

  • Much of the Committee is unable to meet in August.
  • The transition meeting was tentatively set for Wednesday, July 10. ExComm’s business will be held from 11-noon and the transition meeting from noon-1pm.
  • T. Mora will confirm the availability of the incoming officers, reserve the room and arrange catering for the selected date.

C. Webpage for Norma

  • ExComm thanked J. Lefevre for putting together a wonderful tribute.

ACTION ITEMS

  • S. Edwards will ask Desi who else is expected to retire in June so LAUC-B can prepare certificates.
  • T. Mora will confirm the availability of the incoming officers, reserve the room and arrange catering for the selected date of the Transition Meeting.