Executive Committee Minutes 04/10/2013
LAUC-B Executive Committee
April 10, 2013
10 am 12 pm
Room 303 Doe Library
Members present: Susan Edwards (chair), Lynn Jones, Julie Lefevre, Teresa Mora (recorder), Nick Robinson, Hilary Schiraldi, Susan Xue
- Affiliated Libraries held their assembly on April 2. J. Lefevre reported on the program, featuring speaker, Marti Hearst, Professor in the School of Information.
- H. Schiraldi reported that the Commission on the Future of the Library is holding a Faculty Town Hall today. Each sub-committee is going to say a few words and then it will be opened up to questions.
A. Treasurer's Report (S. Xue)
- Current balance is $78,407.13.
B. Meeting with the University Librarian (S. Edwards)
- T. Leonard reported that there is a new University accounting system showing a surplus of faculty research funds as well as Library endowed accounts.
- After a failed search, T. Leonard has decided to name an interim AUL for Collections for a 2 year appointment. The Library is considering using a search firm when the search is reopened.
C. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate (L. Jones)
- The entire meeting on March 19 was devoted to a presentation by L. Farley on the work of CDL (see UCB Library Committee 20130319.pdf). There were numerous questions about different models of demand driven books. Additionally, Jeff Scholar voiced need for specialized librarians.
D. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (S. Edwards, N. Robinson)
- Reports, responding to the Systemwide Policies and Priority document ,were submitted from all ten campuses. Representatives from each campus will work to consolidate the responses for discussion at the statewide assembly. Berkeley will work on category 1 (staffing, library workforce and professional development) in conjunction with UCI and UCD.
- Delegates need to register at lauc2013assembly.weebly.com. Additionally they should send flight preference information to Gloria Alfara at UCOP.
III. Continuing Business
A. Spring Assembly - feedback, lessons learned, anything we need to follow up on?
- S. Edwards noted that she heard from some Affiliated librarians that they can feel excluded by LAUC-B. There seems to be a need to reiterate that one of the roles of LAUC-B is to communicate to T. Leonard (Admin) on behalf of all librarians (including affiliateds). S. Edwards suggested the Affiliated representative (currently J. Lefevre) could attend LAUC-Bs monthly meeting with T. Leonard if there were issues of particular importance to the Affiliated Libraries that they would like to discuss. N. Robinson noted that TALAG hasnt been very active of late and that its hard to have a sense of the feelings of the group as a whole.
- It was proposed that LAUC-B host an end of the year celebration with no agenda in order to use the wine leftover from the event.
B. Input to Commission's subcommittee on Librarians and staffing (S. Edwards)
- J. Midgley had asked LAUC-B chairs to provide a report on Librarians needs and staffing (see Library Services and Staffing Outlook from LAUC final.doc). He reported back to S. Edwards that the subcommittee found the submitted report extremely helpful.
IV. New Business
A. Committee on Professional Development (H. Schiraldi)
- The Committee will be sponsoring a program on April 25 by Tasha Bergson-Michelson from Google who will speak about advanced search techniques.
- Jill Woolums met with K. Leonardo and E. Woods regarding formalizing a procedure for the rolling over of professional development funds and submitted a draft document to the Committee.