Executive Committee Minutes 04/08/10

LAUC-B Executive Committee Meeting
Thursday, April 8, 2010
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
303 Doe Library

Present: J. Bolstad, M. Burnette, L. Diamond, L. Jones, S. Koskinen, C. Lee, R. Martinez, M.
Phillips (Chair), I. Wang.

Guest: L. Vida.

I. Announcements
- R. Martinez: The Affiliated Libraries Assembly will be held on May 4 in the Children’s Reading
Room of the Education/Psychology Library. The guest speaker will be Dan Greenstein.
- M. Phillips: The LAUC Statewide election candidates have been announced. For Vice-
President/President-Elect, the candidates are Mitchell Brown and Maureen Russell. For
Secretary, the candidates are Michael Sholinbeck and Cynthia Moriconi. At the LAUC-B Spring
Assembly, J. Schultz and M. Cochran will announce the Statewide and local candidates, and
will open the floor for more nominations.
- J. Spohrer, this year’s Townsend Fellow, has created an exhibit in the Brown Gallery of Doe
Library titled "Fighting Nazism with Words: Dutch Clandestine Literature under the Nazi
Occupation”. S. Koskinen will mention this in the LAUC blog, and M. Phillips will mention it at
the LAUC-B Spring Assembly.
- M. Phillips reported that the Library Business Office cannot carry over unused professional
development funding from previous years.

II. Reports

A. Treasurer's Report (I. Wang)
- The balance is $127,182.27. Next month, I. Wang will report to ExComm on what LAUC-B
money is being spent on.

B. Meeting with University Librarian (M. Phillips, S. Koskinen)
- T. Leonard mentioned a new book titled “This Book is Overdue: How Librarians and
Cybrarians Can Save Us All” by Marilyn Johnson.
- He recently attended a peer-review workshop at the Center for Studies in Higher Education,
and there will be a report published from the workshop.
- At the Council of Deans meeting, there was no information about the budget. The hope is for a
flat budget, as even a 5% cut would be disastrous.
- T. Leonard mentioned 2 reports (one by the UC Commission on the Future, and the other by
Bain). The Bain report will be out on April 12, and its proposals may save millions of dollars. The
Library will probably not be directly affected.
- T. Leonard confirmed that Elizabeth Leavitt from APO is retiring.
- T. Leonard is going to have a teleconference soon with the ULs, and on April 14 he will attend
a UCB budget meeting with E. Woods.

C. Committee on the Library, Berkeley Division of Academic Senate (S. Koskinen)
- George Oster will serve as the faculty member on the Distinguished Librarian Award
Committee.
- The Berkeley Division Committee Chairs (DIVCO) have set up the Senate Task Force on
Senate Organization and Effectiveness, to work on possible streamlining of the various
committees.
- The LIBR Chair asked for comments from committee members on the report, "UC Commission
on the Future".
- LAUC-B is now listed on the LIBR web site.

D. LAUC Statewide Conference Call (L. Diamond)
- Due to the budget, this year there will be one LAUC Statewide Assembly. On May 6, there will
be a LAUC Southern California Regional Meeting at UCI, where the Southern campuses will
discuss the future of librarianship. All LAUC members are invited to attend, but only members
from the Southern campuses will be reimbursed for attending. The meeting is called “The Future
of Librarianship” and will be from approximately 10am to 3pm. More information is on their
website at: http://lauci.lib.uci.edu/springprogram2010/contact-us.html
- The LAUC wiki and blog are now linked from the LAUC Statewide web site. After the regional
meeting, information will be added to them.
- A preliminary report from each of working groups of the UC Commission on the Future is out.
Folks have until the end of May to send in comments to L. Diamond, the UC Commission on the
Future, or the working group. L. Diamond will send out an e-mail about the report.
- L. Diamond has asked the campus divisions to give comments on the Library Space Planning
report.
- Each campus is writing a report of their LAUC activities and will send them to L. Diamond.

III. Ongoing Business

A. LAUC-B Spring Assembly logistics (J. Bolstad, M. Phillips, L. Vida)
- The assembly will be held on April 13. L. Vida will pick up the room key the day before the
assembly, so that tables can be arranged beforehand. T. Leonard will give welcoming remarks.
All attendees will be asked to break up into groups. Each ExComm member has been assigned
a talking point and will serve as a facilitator and note-taker. Summaries will be written and sent
to L. Vida by Friday morning, April 16, and she will blog them. I. Wang suggested that a sign be
put up in front of the Morrison Room, in case folks try to go there for the assembly. M. Phillips
will send a message to LAUC-B members with the location of the assembly in subject line.

B. CAPA Task Force on Special Issues Follow-up (M. Phillips)
- Academic Salary Scale Notes update: J. Augustin (UCOP) and J. Eason had an e-mail
exchange about the academic salary scales, where J. Augustin said that the academic salary
scales are no longer necessary. ExComm suggested that J. Eason reply and ask J. Augustin to
remove the link from the web site. M. Phillips and S. Koskinen also mentioned this to T.
Leonard.
- M. Phillips sent out e-mails about the Task Force’s report and received five responses. After
hearing the responses, ExComm agreed that it is probably safe to assume that its
recommendations to the report will be accepted.
- ExComm agreed that procedures and guidelines are needed, such as what librarians need to
do to get Distinguished status. M. Phillips and S. Koskinen will write a cover letter describing the
edits and send the report to T. Leonard and S. Wong, before the end of the semester. The
report should eventually be sent to the LAUC Board for the other LAUC divisions to see.

C. Distinguished Librarian Award (C. Lee)
- C. Lee is gathering committee members and will send names to ExComm for approval. She is
also is working on estimating costs for the reception. C. Lee received approval from ExComm
for allowing submissions by e-mail and posting them to bspace, where committee members can
then review them. She will make a brief announcement at the Spring Assembly.

D. Statement of Responsibility (S. Koskinen)
- M. Phillips, S. Koskinen, and I. Wang met and created templates for the statement of
responsibility. They will post these templates on the LAUC-B web site, where members can
access them. The goal is to have this done by May 1.