Executive Committee Minutes 02/10/2016

LAUC-B Executive Committee

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

10:30 a.m. - noon


Members: Barbara Bohl, David Eifler, Jeffery Loo, Michele Morgan, Jennifer Nelson, Emily Vigor, I-Wei Wang (Chair), Margaret Phillips (guest)




  1. Announcements (I. Wang) 10:30-10:35 DLA committee

    1. The Distinguished Librarian Award Committee (L. Jones, Chair, R. Martinez, C. Potts, N. Robinson, and  Alan Karras, faculty representative) has formed and is soliciting nominations.

    2. LAUC-B's election season will soon be upon us. Please consider running for open positions and  by contacting the Nominating and Elections Committee (J. Dorner, D. Jan, L. Jones, K. Levine) and/or current ExComm members for information.

    3. LAUC Statewide is still seeking nominations/self-nominations for representing LAUC on the Direction and Oversight Committee. Send your name and statement of interest to divisional chair I. Wang (iwang@law.berkeley.edu) by February 19 for forwarding to Statewide.

    4. LAUC-B's Spring Assembly will now be held May 4 at 8:30 AM in the Morrison Library.  This joint assembly with affiliated libraries will focus on the Library’s strategic planning and Jeff MacKie-Mason will be the featured speaker.

    5. I. Wang will attend LIBR for J. Nelson.


  1. Reports

    1. Treasurer (D. Eifler) 10:35-10:40

      1. Current balance in the LAUC-B account is $87,240

    2. Monthly UL meeting (I. Wang, E. Vigor (substitute)) 10:40-10:50

      1. Spring Assembly

        1. Date set to May 4, 2016

        2. UL will present on new draft of Strategic Plan

          1. The strategic plan will have two rounds of input: the first will consult focus groups, the Library and external faculty for reactions and comments; the second will be a working session at the LAUC-B Spring Assembly. A facilitator, soon to be engaged by the UL, will work with LAUC-B to set the format of the Assembly.

      2. CoUL’s upcoming meeting with Janet Napolitano (February 12, 2016)

        1. Three topics to discuss

          1. State of significant issues concerning system wide collection

          2. Remote shelving: Jeff MacKie-Mason is working to make the case for shared storage as an important issue for all campuses. Will ask J. Napolitano (meeting set for 2/12) for support for remote shelving proposal, and UC Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor A. Dorr for a system wide feasibility study.


    1. Advocating to faculty for participating in eScholarship/Open Access policy and the role of librarians: the Scholarly Communications Officer will be the point person for advocating the importance of this program to faculty.

  1. LIBR meeting (J. Nelson, guest Margaret Phillips) 10:50-11:10

    1. M. Phillips discussed Open Access Policy at last month's LIBR meeting, specifically in regards to the response of faculty to this program

    2. Uptake for this program has been slow

      1. M. Phillips showed some usage statistics - still small group of users, but growing

    1. We need a strong advocate for the OA Policy to work with librarians helping to implement the program (this is what has taken place at other campuses such as UC Irvine). Following this month’s UL meeting, the UL plans to rely on the new Scholarly Communication Officer to serve as this advocate.

  1. LAUC statewide conference call (I. Wang) 11:10-11:25

    1. Planning proceeds apace for the Statewide Assembly to be held March 21 at UC Merced; the registration form should be available soon. Those planning to attend are reminded that carpooling can help reduce the costs of attending. Interested members are invited to contact your divisional delegates (at Berkeley these are I. Wang, J. Nelson, E. Vigor and B. Bohl) to see if travel arrangements can be coordinated.

    2. Past President Matt Conner (UCD) and SLASIAC Rep. Sue Koskinen will be exploring strategies to engage with Gunter Waibel, CDL's new executive director, with him and in order to  establish some type of liaison relationship between statewide LAUC and CDL. Gunter Waibel begins his new position in May.


  1. Old Business

    1. Spring Assembly date has changed to May 4, 2016, and I. Wang has contacted Nominating and Elections Committee to coordinate timing. Elections will be open by May 18 and will fit in with the statewide elections calendar. Ballot for statewide offices will be disseminated to division members by May 18, so it seems like we will have concurrent election.

  2. New Business

    1. Budget planning (D. Eifler) 11:35-11:50

      1. We will be asking for funding for research and professional development, operations and luncheons, and the 2017 Conference.  David is working with Library Finance to develop a realistic budget.

      2. AFT has confirmed that librarians to be able to spend their LAUC-B professional allocation over two years, instead of in a single year through 2017.

    2. LAUC-B Bylaws cleanup - Past Chair vacancy and other bylaws (I. Wang) 11:50-noon

      1. Definition of membership could be realigned with Statewide wording

      2. Vacancy in a past-chair position is not explicitly laid out in bylaws

      3. may take off agenda for 50th anniversary