Executive Committee Meeting 05/12/04

Minutes Meeting No. 9 May 12, 2004

LAUC-B Executive Committee Meeting May 12, 2004
10:00 - 12 noon
Doe Library Rm. 303

Present: Allan Urbanic, Myrtis Cochran, Chris Tarr, Linda McLane, Lincoln Cushing (facilitator), Ilan Eyman, Paul Atwood, Jane Rosario (recorder). Guests: Norma Kobzina, Phyllis Bischof.

Absent: David de Lorenzo.

I. Announcements

Lincoln reported that the Affiliated Libraries Spring Assembly, with guest speaker Anno Saxenian (new Dean of the School of Information Management & Systems), went very well. There was much frank discussion about the future direction of the school, including the issue of re-seeking ALA accreditation.

The rights for Lincoln's book, Revolucion! : Cuban Poster Art, have been sold in Japan.

Because of Lincoln's layoff situation, he is turning over his role as Affiliated Libraries Representative to Paul Atwood earlier than the usual term. Lincoln thanked ExComm for the opportunity to have served the librarians and libraries of the Berkeley campus through LAUC-B.

Ilan reported that as LAUC-B Mentor Coordinator, he has found mentors for 5 new librarians.

II. Reports

A. Treasurer's Report (L. McLane)

Balance is $85,199.64.

B. Meeting with the University Librarian (A. Urbanic/C. Tarr)

When Allan and Chris met with UL Tom Leonard in early May, the discussion centered mainly on the "Statement on the Importance of Supporting Librarian Appointments at the UC Berkeley Libraries" recently issued by LAUC-B to address the issue of layoffs in the current budget climate (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LAUC/support.html). Tom thanked LAUC for its statement and its concern on the matter of resolving the budget crisis. With regard to LAUC's proposals for alternatives to layoffs, Tom remarked that what makes these alternatives difficult to implement is that the cut the Library is being asked to make by the Campus is considered a "permanent" reduction, and any means that are used (e.g. voluntary reduction in salary) must be considered a permanent reduction for the Campus Administration to accept it as a way of reaching the target. Tom was optimistic that the "incentive" program that the Library was proposing to encourage voluntary separation from the Library would be accepted by the Campus Administration and that this should reduce the possibility of layoffs.

Regarding the status of the Distinguished Step, Tom said that the University Librarians would discuss it at their meeting later in May. Currently, the UL's agreed to let campuses decide locally how this issue should be resolved.

C. Senate Library Committee Report (C. Tarr)

UC Berkeley Library will host a meeting of the American Council of Learned Societies Commission on Cyberinfrastructure for Humanities and Social Sciences in August. LIBR's declaration on collections (that Berkeley approves the sharing of collections with other UCs, but wishes to keep control of governance of materials purchased with UCB funds) was presented to the Berkeley Divisional Council on 29 April. Library's budget cut is likely to be in the 4.5-7.5% range. Library Strategic Planning Board will meet in June to develop a new strategic plan for the Library. Margaret Phillips will convene the LAUC sponsored Scholarly Publishing Symposium Planning Committee.

D. LAUC Executive Board Conference Call (A. Urbanic)

Allan reported that this month's conference call was largely a prelude to the Statewide Assembly (May 13th). Statewide President Linda Kennedy reported on progress regarding the Distinguished Step and there was further discussion regarding the report on position papers.

III. Continuing Topics

A. Distinguished Librarian Awards Procedures (Guests Phyllis Bischof and Norma Kobzina)

Allan thanked Phyllis and Norma for all their work in producing the award this year, and for compiling the draft procedures, which were distributed to ExComm. Since Myrtis appointed Phyllis and Norma to the DLA Committee, she personally thanked them for their work in selecting the DLA candidates and writing committee guidelines that will be quite useful to future DLA committees.

Action: The guidelines were approved with minor adjustments. Phyllis and Norma will give the amended guidelines to Allan to forward to next year's LAUC-B Chair. Phyllis and Norma will also forward another copy to the LAUC-B archives.

B. Emeritus Status for Librarians Benefits

A brief listing of benefits is still needed.

Action: Lincoln and Chris will work together to compile this list.

C. Peer Review: Making the Process Less Time-Consuming

Discussion centered on creating an appropriate forum in which to address the issues of streamlining the peer review process: what should it be, who should be included, etc.

Action: Allan, on behalf of LAUC-B, will call a Brown Bag lunch (or lunches) this summer that will include all interested LAUC-B members, some ExComm members, and UL Tom Leonard. Allan will also ask for volunteers from the ranks of former CAPA members to attend the meetings and synthesize the information discussed therein.


Next LAUC-B ExComm meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 9, 2004, 10:00am to 12:00 noon in Room 303 Doe Library.