Committee on Diversity - Job Shadowing
Job-Shadowing Program at the UC Berkeley Libraries
The job-shadowing program is an opportunity for UCB Library and Affiliated Library staff to spend 2 hours visiting, interacting, and observing a librarian or library professional staff member working in a field of their interest. This career exploration and observation will expose staff to library areas of interest and may assist them in their career development.
This program is open to all career & limited appointment, represented & non-represented Library and Affiliated Library non-Academic staff members.
Be able to meet for 2 hours with your assigned librarian or library professional staff member before April 30, 2011.
Suggested Meeting Ideas
- Discuss Professional's primary job duties and responsibilities
- Discuss Professional's role and how it fits within the goals and objectives of the unit
- Discuss Professional's career path to their current position and skills/knowledge they needed to get there
- Brief tour, introduction to other unit staff
- Possibly informational interview, attend and observe some librarian or professional functions.
- Fill out the job-shadowing application and submit it.
- Staff will be best matched with a librarian or library professional staff member working in their ranked preferred field of interest. (If librarians are not available, staff may be matched with a high-level staff member in their field of interest unless otherwise indicated.)
- Meet with designated librarian or library professional staff member before April 30, 2011.
- Fill out an evaluation survey of your experience.
The program obligation is for a one-time, 2 hour session. If you are interested in an extended opportunity for library career exploration and a relationship with an experienced librarian, please consider signing up for the Staff Mentorship Program, which will be announced late this year or early next year.
- Application deadline: Tuesday, January 18, 2011
- Staff Application to sign up for the Job-Shadowing Program
- Librarian or Other Library Professional Staff Application to sign up to be shadowed