Committee on Diversity
- Corliss Lee, ex officio (LAUC Statewide Committee on Diversity) (2017)
- Crystal Miles (Co-Chair; SDC representative) (2017)
- Liladhar Pendse (2017)
- Michael Sholinbeck (Chair) (2016)
- Susan Wong, ex officio (LHRD representative)
The LAUC-B Committee on Diversity provides leadership and guidance on issues relating to diversity and inclusion at the Library. The Committee focuses on cultural competence and library climate - for both our patrons and our staff - as well as on recruitment and retention of a diverse professional workforce. These are accomplished by:
- Organizing, administering, and evaluating the staff mentoring program;
- Facilitating cultural competence and an enhanced library climate;
- Producing and maintaining a list of campus diversity entities, and encouraging and keeping track of librarian outreach to these groups;
- Investigating outreach to campus advisors from select departments;
- Reviewing information relating to the recruitment and hiring of librarians at UC Berkeley;
- Periodically examining the Library's policies, procedures, and practices for inclusivity in language and intent;
- Continually revising/updating its web page
Programs & Resources
- Staff Mentorship Program
The Librarian/Staff Mentorship Program is an effort to foster an environment that can promote the professional growth of staff and encourage them to pursue a career in librarianship. Read more.
- Library Staff Mentoring
- Diversity Standards: Cultural Competency for Academic Libraries (ACRL, 2012)
"These standards provide a framework to support libraries in engaging the complexities of providing services to diverse populations, and recruiting and maintaining a diverse library workforce."
- Committee on Diversity Charge Task Force Report August 11, 2014
- Joint Conference of Librarians of Color, November 2006
- Report on Current Procedures for Hiring New Librarians, September 2006
- Many Voices of Diversity Report, 1992
- Drafted by LAUC in 1992, this report was a contribution to the discussion on cultural diversity within the University of California. Its focus is on libraries within the University. It begins with the premise that in order for the University to maintain its eminent position as a global research institution it must strengthen its collections and services which deal with under-represented groups within California. At the same time this report affirms the contributions already made within the University in the area of cultural diversity.
- 1996/97 Status Report: http://clnet.ucla.edu/library/esln/mvod.sr96-97.html
LAUC-B American Diversity Statistics [% rounded]
|US 2010 Census||5||13||16||1||64||1||100||51|
|California 2010 Census||14||6||38||2||39||1||100||50|
|Medical LA (2009)||89|
|Music LA (2009)||95|
|UC Librarians (2010)||13||4||7||1||75||7||100||69||31|
|UC Berkeley Librarians (2010)||17||3||6||1||70||3||100||61||39|
|UC Berkeley Staff (2011)||21||11||13||1||50||4||100||58||42|
|UC Berkeley Faculty (2009)||15||2||5||0||77||1||100||30||70|
|UC Berkeley Undergraduates (2011)||43||4||13||1||33||6||100||47|
US Census: United States Census Bureau. The 2011 Statistical Abstract, "Population: Estimates and Projections by Age, Sex, Race/Ethnicity", California Quickfacts.
ALA: American Library Association, Office of Research and Statistics, "Diversity Counts" (rev. January 2007).
ACRL: Mike Norbut, Sheri Jacobs, and Beth McNamee for ACRL, 2009 Membership Survey Findings: Final Report (June 2009). [ACRL member login required.]
ARL: Martha Kyrillidou and Les Bland, ARL Annual Salary Survey 2009-2010.
MLA: Hay Group and Medical Library Association, 2008 Salary Survey.
MLA: Mark A. Puente and Susannah Cleveland. ""Variation on a Traditional Theme: The Question of Racial and Ethnic Diversity in MLA". Notes 68, 1 (2011): 48-59.
SAA: Victoria Irons Walch, Elizabeth Yakel, Jeannette Allis Bastian, Nancy Zimmelman, Brenda Banks, Susan E. Davis and Anne P. Diffendal, "Special Section on A*CENSUS (Archival Census & Education Needs Survey in the United States)", The American Archivist 69, 2 (2006): 291-527.
See also AALL: Raquel J. Gabriel, ÂÂ"Diversity Dialogues...Diversity in the Profession,"ÂÂ Law Library Journal 102, 1 (2010): 147-153
UC/UCB Librarians: "Academic Librarians (CTO 621) by Ethnicity and Gender (April 2010 Payroll File)," UC Berkeley total of 108 librarians (95 full-time in April 2012); UC total of 470)
UCB Staff/Faculty/Enrollment: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel/data-and-analysis/incumbent-faculty-reports.html, http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/diversity/demographics/workforce-profile
See also: "Statistical Summary of Students and Staff" and "Diversity Accountability Report 2010"