- Imadelden Abuelgasim (Co-Chair) (2014)
- Karen Yu (Co-Chair) (2014)
- Sarah Ngo, (SDC Representative) (2015)
- Liladhar Pendse (2015)
- Virginia Shih (2015)
- Jane Rosario, ex officio (LAUC Statewide Committee on Diversity)
- Susan Wong, ex officio (LHRD representative)
The LAUC-B Committee on Diversity serves as an advisory body to LAUC-B on issues related to diversity, including but not limited to collections, public service, staff training and development, recruitment and retention, and Library-wide policy issues. Diversity is defined broadly to include such matters as those related to gender, ethnicity, race, class, physical and mental disability, age, and sexual orientation.
LAUC-B American Diversity Statistics [% rounded]
|US 2010 Census||5||13||16||1||64||1||100||51|
|California 2010 Census||14||6||38||2||39||1||100||50|
|Medical LA (2009)||89|
|Music LA (2009)||95|
|UC Librarians (2010)||13||4||7||1||75||7||100||69||31|
|UC Berkeley Librarians (2010)||17||3||6||1||70||3||100||61||39|
|UC Berkeley Staff (2011)||21||11||13||1||50||4||100||58||42|
|UC Berkeley Faculty (2009)||15||2||5||0||77||1||100||30||70|
|UC Berkeley Undergraduates (2011)||43||4||13||1||33||6||100||47||53|
Observances Designated by Congress or by Presidential Proclamation
January 16: Religious Freedom Day (2013 Proclamation)
African American History Month (2012 Proclamation)
August 26: Women's Equality Day (2012 Proclamation)
National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 through October 15)—36 U.S.C. § 126 (2012 Proclamation)
September 18: National Deaf Awareness Week [World Federation of the Deaf & National Association of the Deaf, with ALA and LC support since 1997]
National Disability Employment Awareness Month—36 U.S.C. § 121 (2012 Proclamation)
Italian American Heritage and Culture Month (2012 Proclamation)
October 6: German-American Day (2012 Proclamation)
October 9: 36 U.S.C. § 114 — Leif Erikson Day [Americans of Nordic descent] (PL 88-566) (2012 Proclamation)
October 15: 36 U.S.C. § 142— Blind Americans Equality Day [= White Cane Safety Day,1964-2010] (2012 Proclamation)
Native American Heritage Month—Public Law 101-343 November 1990 (2012 Proclamation)
- LAUC-B bSpace site Login with your Calnet ID and password
Programs & Resources
- Job-Shadowing Program
- Library Conference Mentorship Program
- Staff Mentorship Program
- Professional Resource List
- Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (November 2006) [pdf]
- Report on Current Procedures for Hiring New Librarians (September 2006) [pdf]
- Many Voices of Diversity Report (1992)
- Drafted by LAUC in 1992, this report was a contribution to the discussion on cultural diversity within the University of California. Its focus is on libraries within the University. It begins with the premise that in order for the University to maintain its eminent position as a global research institution it must strengthen its collections and services which deal with under-represented groups within California. At the same time this report affirms the contributions already made within the University in the area of cultural diversity.
- 1996/97 Status Report: http://clnet.ucla.edu/library/esln/mvod.sr96-97.html
|*Diversity Statistics sources|
US Census: United States Census Bureau. The 2011 Statistical Abstract, “Population: Estimates and Projections by Age, Sex, Race/Ethnicity,” California Quickfacts.
ALA: American Library Association, Office of Research and Statistics, “Diversity Counts” (rev. January 2007).
ACRL: Mike Norbut, Sheri Jacobs, and Beth McNamee for ACRL, 2009 Membership Survey Findings: Final Report (June 2009). [ACRL member login required.]
ARL: Martha Kyrillidou and Les Bland, ARL Annual Salary Survey 2009–2010.
MLA: Hay Group and Medical Library Association, 2008 Salary Survey.
MLA: Mark A. Puente and Susannah Cleveland. "Variation on a Traditional Theme: The Question of Racial and Ethnic Diversity in MLA." Notes 68, 1 (2011): 48-59.
SAA: Victoria Irons Walch, Elizabeth Yakel, Jeannette Allis Bastian, Nancy Zimmelman, Brenda Banks, Susan E. Davis and Anne P. Diffendal, “Special Section on A*CENSUS (Archival Census & Education Needs Survey in the United States),” The American Archivist 69, 2 (2006): 291-527.
See also AALL: Raquel J. Gabriel, “Diversity Dialogues…Diversity in the Profession,” Law Library Journal 102, 1 (2010): 147-153
UC/UCB Librarians: "Academic Librarians (CTO 621) by Ethnicity and Gender (April 2010 Payroll File)," UC Berkeley total of 108 librarians (95 full-time in April 2012); UC total of 470)
UCB Staff/Faculty/Enrollment: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel/data-and-analysis/incumbent-faculty-reports.html, http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/diversity/demographics/workforce-profile
See also: “Statistical Summary of Students and Staff” and “Diversity Accountability Report 2010”