The job-shadowing program is an opportunity for UCB Library and Affiliated Library staff to spend 2 hours visiting, interacting, and observing a librarian or other library professional staff member working in a field of their interest. This career exploration and observation will expose staff to library areas of interest and may assist them in their career development.
Job-shadowing is open to all career & limited appointment, represented & non-represented Library and Affiliated Library non-Academic staff members. Librarians and other library professional staff can sign up to be shadowed.
Be able to meet for 2 hours with your assigned librarian/library professional staff member or library staff member within 2 months of your assignment.
SUGGESTED MEETING IDEAS:
- Discuss Professional's primary job duties and responsibilities
- Discuss Professional's role and how it fits within the goals and objectives of the unit
- Discuss Professional's career path to their current position and skills/knowledge they needed to get there
- Brief tour, introduction to other unit staff
- Possibly informational interview, attend and observe some librarian or professional functions.
- Fill out the job-shadowing application and submit it.
- Staff will be best matched with a librarian or library professional staff member working in their ranked preferred field of interest. (If librarians are not available, staff may
be matched with a high-level staff member in their field of interest unless otherwise indicated.)
- Meet with designated librarian/ibrary professional staff member or library staff member within 2 months of being assigned.
- Fill out an evaluation form of your experience.
- Application deadline: June 13, 2008
- Staff Application to sign up for the Job-Shadowing Program
- Librarian or Other Library Professional Staff Application to sign up to be shadowed