Library Proxy Server
Setup Instructions for
iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch
print this page
Follow these steps to configure your device to use the Library Proxy Server.
This setup will remain in effect until you cancel it.
These instructions are known to work with first, second, and third generation iPads,
iPhone, and iPod Touch. The same basic procedure may also be applicable to other
mobile devices, but the exact sequence of screens and prompts will vary.
NOTE: For a successful proxy server connection on an iPad,
- The iPad must be connected to the Internet with wi-fi. If you want to access
licensed resources over a 3G/4G connection, use the Virtual Private Network (VPN)
system rather than the proxy server.
- The wi-fi network you're using for this purpose must be set up for the proxy server
in your iPad's wi-fi settings (so your settings for a home network won't apply at Starbuck's,
- The proxy URL must be entered into the iPad's wi-fi settings with no leading or trailing spaces.
- If you're using the software keyboard to type or paste the proxy URL into the settings,
it's important to tap the key in the bottom right corner afterwards, to make the keyboard
disappear and save the setting.
- Your web browser must be set to accept all cookies. If you'd prefer not to do that,
consider using the VPN rather than the proxy server.
Please let us know how these instructions work for you!
- Go to Settings.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Select the Wi-Fi Network to which you are connected.
- In the Wi-Fi Networks window, tap on the arrow to the right of your Wi-Fi network name.
- Your IP Address selection should be DHCP.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to HTTP Proxy.
- Select Auto.
- Fill in the URL text box.
Be sure to include "http://", and do not insert any empty spaces
before or after the URL.
- If you're using an iPad, your software keyboard is probably still visible. Tap on the bottom right key to hide the keyboard and save the proxy URL setting.
- Go back to the home screen and open your web browser. When you come to a UC- or UCB-licensed resource, you will be asked for your CalNet login.
To protect your privacy
When using the proxy server on a shared device, quit the web browser when your session is finished.
To turn off this setting
Follow steps 1-6 above.
Under HTTP Proxy, select Off.
This will also delete the proxy URL, which will need to be re-entered before your next proxy session.
The "Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings" procedure has the same effect.
Return to browser list