Library Proxy Server
Setup Instructions for
Internet Explorer 5 through 7 using Dial-up Connection
print this page
Follow these steps to configure your browser to use the Library Proxy Server.
This setup will remain in effect until you cancel it.
- Only the Windows versions of Internet Explorer will work with the proxy server.
For Macintosh users, we recommend Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Your web browser must be set to accept all cookies. If you'd prefer not to do that,
consider using the Virtual Private Network (VPN) system rather than the proxy server.
- Pull down the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Click on the Connections tab.
- In the Dial-up settings box, click once to highlight the icon with the name of your dial-up service.
- Click on Settings.
- Check the box next to Automatically detect settings.
- Check the box next to Use automatic configuration script.
- Type or paste in the Address:
Be sure to include "http://", and do not insert any empty spaces
before or after the URL.
- Click OK to save your settings.
- Click OK to close the Internet Options window.
To protect your privacy
When using the proxy server on a shared computer, quit the web browser when your session is finished.
To turn off this setting
Follow steps 1-4 above.
In step 5, click to uncheck the Automatically detect settings box.
In step 6, click to uncheck the Use automatic configuration script box.
Click OK to save your settings.
Click OK again to close the Internet Options window.
With Internet Explorer 6, you may also need to remove the cached copy of the proxy.pac configuration script. To do this, go to Tools and then Internet Options. Under "Temporary Internet Files", select Settings, then select View Files. Find the file named "proxy.pac" and delete it. Then close that window and click OK, then OK again to close these dialog boxes.
Return to browser list