Housing Research Resources
Housing Research Resources is a selective bibliographic research guide to the UC Berkeley library and Internet social housing literature, both American and international. Included are basic research tools, historical sources, and strategies for finding needed materials. For additional assistance, please consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only by using the Library's off-campus access services.
Content reviewed: June 2009. Compiled by Deborah Sommer, City Planning & Landscape Architecture Librarian.
- Housing information gateway (Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Housing Information Center) Provides information on and links to housing resources on the Internet. An "elaboration" of the Encyclopedia of housing.
- Resource Library (Nat'l Low Income Housing Coalition) U.S. emphasis.
- KnowledgePlex Links to many full-text articles and reports on housing and community development. For "practitioners, grantors, policy makers, scholars, investors, and others involved or interested in the fields of affordable housing and community development."
California Gateway Sites
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- A to Z of housing terminology, by Simon Hooton. Coventry: Chartered Institute of Housing, 1996.
- EnvDesign HD30.42 G7 H6 1996 Reference
- The Encyclopedia of housing, Willem Van Vliet--, ed., Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998.
Housing information gateway (Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Housing Information Center) Provides information on and links to housing resources on the Internet. An "elaboration" of the Encyclopedia of housing.
- Housing: a multidisciplinary dictionary, by Kamal S. Sayegh, Ottawa: ABCD Academy Book, 1987.
- EnvDesign HD7287.5 S28 1987 Reference
Search the Melvyl catalog for additional bibliographies: housing [or other subject] -- bibliography. See also books & journal articles, the ends of
encyclopedia entries, and the Web.
- Housing bibliography (Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Housing Information Center). Searchable bibliography of 2000+ journal articles, books, etc., on housing.
- Housing activity in developing countries: a representative bibliography on emerging trends, by Charles A. Setchell. Council of Planning Librarians, .
- EnvDesign HT166 A12 C6a no.222 Index
- Housing in developing countries: a select bibliography and field statement, by Ayse Pamuk. Council of Planning Librarians, 1991.
- EnvDesign HT166 A12 C6a no.273 Index
- International planning (UC Berkeley Library) A selective research guide to resources on international planning, located throughout the UC Berkeley campus and on the Web.
United States Bibliographies
- Center for Housing & Urban Development bibliography (Texas A & M, Center for Housing & Urban Development) Topics covered include community development, affordable housing, urban planning, colonias.
- Finding general plans for cities & local communities (UC Berkeley, Library) A research guide and list of resources; helpful for finding housing elements of general plans.
- HCD bibliographies (California Housing and Community Development Dept.) Links to electronic bibliographies on selected housing and land use research topics, compiling best practices and current research.
- Housing special populations: a resource guide, U.S.
HUD, Office of Policy Development & Research, .
- EnvDesign HD7289.92 U54 H69 1988 Noncirc.
- Real estate: Berkeley business guide no. 16 (UC Berkeley, Library) "A guide to information sources in the areas of appraisal, finance, construction, land economics, property management and other topics related to the real estate industry." U.S. focus.
estate subject guide (MIT, Rotch Library) Guide to materials
on the real estate industry; mortgage loans; office, retail, industrial
and housing developments; real estate finance and investments.
- Statistical resources on the Web: demographics and housing, Univ. of Michigan, Documents Center. Source for U.S. and international housing statistics.
- Statistics via Lexis-Nexis - UCB Only Indexes statistical publications issued by federal governments, international governmental organizations, and state governments, professional and trade associations, etc. Abstracts provided for all documents. Full text microfiche available for most titles, in the Doe Reference Center or the Business Library (Bus & Econ)
- Online ed.: 1970/83--
- Print equivalents available in Doe Refe or BUSI/ECON.
- Bulletin of housing and building statistics for Europe and North America, U.N. Economic Commission for Europe.
- Online ed.: 2000-- http://www.unece.org/hlm/prgm/hsstat/welcome_hsstat.html
- Print ed.: 1993-- , EnvDesign JX1977 A63 H649 latest ed.
- Compendium of human settlements statistics. United Nations.
- Main HD7287 U539 C6 latest Doe Reference, EnvDesign 2001 ed. in Reference
- Encyclopedia of world cities, by Immanuel Ness. 2 vols. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 1999. Includes articles on 132 leading cities. Each article contains a map and statistical table.
- EnvDesign HT108.5 N47 1999 Reference
- Global urban indicators databases (U.N. Centre on Human Settlements [HABITAT]) Covers more than 1000 cities. Includes information on housing (affordable housing and housing provision) as well as many other socio-economic indicators.
- Housing in the world: graphical presentation of statistical data. U.N. Dept. for Economic and Social Information..., 1993.
- EnvDesign HD7287.5 H68 1993 Reference
- International censuses: The Government Reference collection, 2nd Floor, Doe Library, collects international census publications. These can be excellent sources of housing statistics. To locate them, search the library's catalogs by subject: housing statistics [place name].
- International statistical abstracts: Government-issued statistical abstracts covering economic, population, housing, etc., statistics are available in the Government Reference collection, 2nd Floor, Doe Library.
- Statistical agencies (international) (U.S. Bureau of the Census) Links to statistical agencies and their publications.
- Statistics & data for city planning: international (UC Berkeley, Library) A guide to print and Web sources of statistics for international city and regional planning.
- Statistics of world large cities. Tokyo Metropolitan Government; annual.
- EnvDesign HA42 S43 latest five years in Reference
- American housing survey for the United States (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Online ed.: 1973- (Restricted to UCB IP addesses) Online ed.: http://www.census.gov/housing/ahs/
- Print ed.: call numbers vary; shelved in Doe Library
- Construction statistics (U.S. Census Bureau) Comprehensive site for U.S. housing construction data.
- Americans and their homes: demographics of homeownership, by Cheryl Russell. Ithaca, NY: New Strategist Publications, 1998.
- Bus&Econ HD7287.82 U6 R87 1998 Reference
- Economic & housing data (Nat'l Assoc. of Home Builders) Useful site.
- Housing statistics of the United States, Patrick A. Simmons, ed. Lanham, MD: Bernan Press.
- EnvDesign HD7293 H77 latest ed. Reference desk
- Housing topics (U.S. Census Bureau) Major resource for housing data.
- HUD user--housing data sets (U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development) Terrific site for U.S. housing data and information.
- State of the nation's housing (Harvard Univ., Joint Center for Housing Studies) A narrative and statistical report of the status of housing in the U.S. Annual.
- Online ed.: 1998-- http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/research/state_nations_housing
- Print ed.: 1988-- ; EnvDesign HD7293 A632
- Statistics & data for city planning: United States (UC Berkeley, Library) A guide to print and Web sources of statistics for American city and regional planning.
- U.S. housing market conditions
- Online ed.: 1994:4-- http://www.huduser.org/portal/periodicals/ushmc.html
- Print ed.: 1993:4-1996; EnvDesign HD7293 A1 U16 Periodical stacks
- Bay Area housing profile 2006, prepared by the Bay Area Council. [San Francisco?: Bay Area Council, 2006].
- EnvDesign HD7303 C22S3 B385 2006 Reference desk
- Regional housing needs allocation (ABAG) Housing need data for the San Francisco Bay Area. Data presented by county.
- San Francisco housing databook (Bay Area Economics) "A snapshot of historical trends and current conditions, incorporating recently released 2000 Census data as available." Includes housing data for individual San Francisco neighborhoods. Go to the "publications" section of the site.
- EnvDesign HD7304 S4 S25 2002 Reference desk & circ.
Housing Policy & Miscellany
- Housing policies in the Socialist Third World, Kosta Mathey, ed. New York: Mansell, 1990. Organized in individual chapters on the housing policies of 13 countries, Albania through Vietnam.
- EnvDesign HD7391 H675 1990
- Housing policy: an international bibliography, by Tony Newson. NY: Mansell Publishing Limited, 1986.
- EnvDesign HD7287 A12 N481 1986
- Housing policy in developing countries, Gil Shidlo, ed. NY: Routledge, 1990. Includes chapters on housing policy in Brazil, Chile, Egypt, India, Mexico, and Turkey.
- EnvDesign HD7391 H68 1990
- International Federation for Housing and Planning. International Congress--Proceedings The IFHP sponsors an annual congress. The papers presented (and published in the proceedings) are often about housing policies in a particular country. To identify these proceedings,which are catalogued individually, try searching the catalogs by the corporate name International federation for housing and planning.
- International handbook of housing policies and practices, Willem van Vliet, ed., NY: Greenwood Press, 1990. A useful compendium of housing policies of 23 countries.
- EnvDesign HD7287 I523 1990 Reference & circulating
- Blueprint 2001: housing element ideas and solutions for a sustainable and affordable future: Bay Area housing, sponsored by Association of Bay Area Governments, Bay Area Council, Greenbelt Alliance, [et. al.] ;... Oakland, CA: ABAG, 2001.
- EnvDesign HD7303 C22 S3 B58 2001; IGS 2001 0258
- A Chronology of housing legislation and selected executive actions, 1892-2003, U.S. Congressional Research Service, 2003.
- Online ed.: http://financialservices.house.gov/media/pdf/108-D.pdf
- Print ed.: EnvDesign KF5729 M5 2003 Reference & non-circulating
- Compilation of basic laws on housing and community development, rev. through December 31, 2002 (end of the 107th Congress, by Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity of the Committee on Banking and Financial Services, House of Representatives. (Committee Print 108-C) Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 2003.
- Online ed.: http://financialservices.house.gov/media/pdf/108-C.pdf
- Print ed.: Main KF5724 2003;
EnvDesign 1994 ed. in Reference
- The Federal government and urban housing: ideology and change in public policy, by R. Allen Hays. 2nd ed. Albany: State Univ. of New York Press, 1995.
- EnvDesign HD7293 A3 H28 1995
- From tenements to the Taylor homes: in search of an urban housing policy in twentieth-century America, John F. Bauman, Roger Biles, and Kristin M. Szylvian, eds. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State Univ. Press, 2000.
- EnvDesign HD7293 F76 2000
- History of housing in the U.S., 1930-1980, by Joseph B. Mason. Houston: Gulf Pub. Co., Book Division, 1982.
- EnvDesign, MOFF HD7293 M325 1982
- Housing and urban affairs, 1965-1976, 1977. Microfiche full text of 3,000 selected local planning reports, research papers, etc., in the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Affairs Library. (Microfiche 855) Indexed in: Housing and urban affairs, 1965-1976: A bibliographic guide to the microform collection (HD7293 A121 H68 1978 Index).
- Housing & development reporter. 1973--. Includes: Directory of major housing and development organizations; pertinent CFR texts and other Federal legislation.
- EnvDesign HD7293 H675 Reference
- Housing in America: 1970-2000: the nation's housing needs for the balance of the 20th century, by William C. Apgar, Jr., et al., [Cambridge, MA]: Joint Center for Housing Studies, Harvard Univ., 1991.
- EnvDesign HD7293 A63 1991
- Housing policy in the United States: an introduction, by Alex F. Schwartz. NY: Routledge, 2006. Online table of contents.
- EnvDesign HD7293 S373 2006
- Policy development & research (PD&R) publications (U.S. HUD) Links to many full-text housing policy documents.
- Index to current urban documents - UCB Only NY: Greenwood Press. The key national resource for local government publications of the U.S. Online edition contains citations and full text (PDF format). Subject terms to use: Land use--statistics, Land
- Online ed.: 2000--
- Print ed.: 1972-- ; EnvDesign JS13 A12M85 Index & GSSI; Index & full text documents on microfiche in the Institute of Governmental Studies Library
Finding Books: Selected Subject Headings
Hints for catalog searching
- General guides to using The Library's catalogs are available on the Web.
- Use combined searches, e.g., [subject] squatter# AND [subject] housing policy.
- Start in Melvyl for "fuzzy" searching and complete campus library coverage.
- Most headings may be modified with a place name.
Abandonment of property
Accessory apartments (a.k.a. 'granny flats')
Affordable housing: use
City planning & redevelopment law
Community development, Urban
Discrimination in housing
Real property valuation AND Housing
Housing--Law and legislation
Housing plans: use
City planning AND Housing policy
County planning AND Housing
Regional planning AND Housing
Housing policy--Developing countries
Land use, Urban
Public housing--Government policy
Public housing--Law and legislation--
Shelters for the homeless
Finding Journal Articles
Please note that all the electronic indexes listed in this guide are also listed in The Library's directory of article databases.
Academic search complete via EBSCO - UC Only
Indexes articles in more than 10,900 journals in the humanities, social sciences, and general sciences. Abstracts
and full text available for many titles indexed. Includes many book review
press index online via FirstSearch/OCLC - UCB Only
Citations are drawn from roughly 380 alternative, radical, and left publications.
Useful for identifying community-based and alternative public policy perspectives
on housing, land use, the environment, etc., outside of the mainstream.
Most journals aren't indexed elsewhere.
Online coverage: 1991--
- Print ed.: 1969-- ; Doe Stack HM101 A12
- AltPress watch
via ProQuest - UCB Only A full text resource that covers
newspapers, magazines, and journals of the alternative and independent press. Good for environmental
justice and environmental policy issues. East Bay Express is included starting 6/01.
Business source complete via
EBSCO - UCB Only Includes full-text for more than 7,400 scholarly business journals and
other sources, including nearly 1,100 peer-reviewed business publications, as well as
country economic reports from the EIU, Global Insight, ICON Group and CountryWatch.
- Coverage: 1965--
via CSA - UCB Only The most comprehensive index to scholarly journal articles in economics.
Also lists books and dissertations. Most citations include a searchable
Online coverage: 1969--
- Print ed.: 1969-- ; Bus&Econ HB58 A1 E32 Ask at
newswatch via ProQuest - UC Only Full text coverage
of approximately 100 newspapers and other periodicals published by ethnic
and minority presses in the U.S. Includes articles published in African-American,
Hispanic, Latino, Chicano, Native American, Asian, Jewish, Arab, and European/Eastern
Geography via SilverPlatter - UCB Only Covers
the international literature in physical and human geography, providing
access to information from over 2,000 journals, monographs, books, conference
proceedings reports, and theses. Includes abstracts.
Housing abstracts. National Housing Library. Formerly
& Homebuilding and Reference guide to homebuilding articles
(1967-1995; EnvDesign HD7293 A12N28 H6 Index). Coverage: 1996--.
EnvDesign HD7293 A12N28 H68 Index
IngentaConnect - UCB Only Indexes
domestic and international scholarly and academic publications, in
a wide range of subject areas. Access to full text articles
only for journals UC Berkeley receives in paper copy.
bibliography of the social sciences (IBSS) via CSA - UCB Only Contains citations from an international selection of publications (including over 2600
journals) in the fields of economics, political science, sociology, and
anthropology. Good for housing policy.
- Coverage: 1981--
Journal of planning literature via FirstSearch/OCLC UCB Only Columbus, OH: Sage Publications, Inc. Indexes 400+ journals and provides
comprehensive coverage of the city and regional planning literature.
Online coverage: 2000--
- Print ed.: 1985/86-- ; EnvDesign NA9000 J687 Index
JSTOR - UCB OnlyA
text searchable archive of interdisciplinary scholarly journal literature,
including many in African-American studies, anthropology, political science,
- Coverage: Varies
Left index - UCB Only
Provides access to leftist and radical media from around the world with
a primary emphasis on political, economic, social, and culturally engaged scholarship,
including some full text from journals,
books, links to Internet documents, etc. A secondary emphasis is on significant
but little known sources of news and ideas.
- Coverage: 1982--
Lexis-nexis academic - UCB Only
Includes indexing to more than 5,600 journal, newspaper, and other sources, and provides full text. Good for public policy
- Coverage: Varies
PapersFirst via FirstSearch/OCLC
- UC Only Contains over 5.4 million records for papers presented at worldwide
conferences, symposia, meetings, expositions, congresses, and workshops
received at The British Library. Excellent source for interdisciplinary
work; the index covers disciplines in the social sciences, sciences, arts,
and the humanities.
- Coverage: 1993--
Periodicals index online (formerly Periodicals Contents Index) - UC Only Indexes thousands of periodicals in the humanities
and social sciences, from their first issues to 1993. Includes some full text
access. The scope
is international, including journals in English, French, German, Italian,
Spanish and other Western languages. Titles indexed include Housing
Studies, Journal of the American Planning Association, Urban Affairs Quarterly,
Town Planning Review, and Urban Studies.
- Coverage: 1665-1993
direct) - UCB Only Includes abstracts, indexing, and some full text
of more than 2,500 periodical titles in the humanities, social sciences,
and business, plus current coverage of New York Times, and Wall
Street Journal articles.
Sociological abstracts via CSA - UC Only Indexes journal articles, book chapters, & reviews from over 1,900
journals, books, book chapters, and reviews in the social sciences. Excellent
source for public policy topics.
Online coverage: 1963--
- Print ed.: 1952-- ; Main HM15.5 S6
Listed here is a selection of journals on housing. Consult the
library catalogs for additional journals: housing -- periodicals. Note that most of these titles are available full text online via a variety of databases. Please consult
E-Journal Titles A-Z for a current listing.
- Housing. (Chartered Institute of Housing) 1965-- .
- EnvDesign HD7333 A1 H6
studies - UCB Only
- Online eds.: coverage varies
- Print ed.: 1986-- ; EnvDesign HD7285 H687
Housing, theory and society - UCB Only
- Online eds.: coverage varies
- Print ed.: 1999-- ; EnvDesign HD7346 A3 S3
- International journal for housing science and its applications.
Association for Housing Science) 1977--.
- EnvDesign HD7285 I5
a journal of policy development and research (U.S. HUD)
- Online ed.: 1994--. Full-text available on the HUD Web site
- Print ed.: 1994, 1996, 1998-- ; EnvDesign HT123 C52
- Housing and society. (American Association of Housing
- EnvDesign HD7285 H6
Housing economics UC Only
- Online coverage: 1994-8/2004; full text available.
- Housing policy
- Online ed.: 1990-- ; full text, not indexed
- Print ed.: 1990-- ; Bus&Econ;
EnvDesign HD7293 A1 H65
Journal of housing and community
development - UCB Only
Online eds.: coverage varies
- Print ed.: 1979-- ; EnvDesign HD7293 A3 J6
Journal of housing economics - UCB Only
- Online eds.: coverage varies
- Print ed.: 1991-- ;
Bus&Econ HD7293 Z9 J68
- Journal of housing for the elderly. Haworth Press;
- EnvDesign HQ1060 J6
- Indexed: Architectural Publications Index (RIBA) [older issues only],
Social Services Abstracts, Sociological Abstracts
Journal of housing research (American Real Estate Society)
- Online ed.: 2009-- http://business.fiu.edu/realestate/journals-JHR.cfm
- Print ed.: EnvDesign HD7285 J68 Periodical stacks
- Journal of real estate research
(American Real Estate Society) - UCB Only The American Real Estate Society provides an index to the journal.
- Coverage: 1986-- ; full text available via
Business source complete.
Planning & environmental law (APA) Formerly Land
use law & zoning digest articles and searchable abstracts (1995-) and table of contents to current issue. 1974-- .
EnvDesign NA9050 A1 Z6
Real estate economics
(Univ. of Michigan) - UCB Only Includes searchable abstracts of articles.
Online eds.: coverage varies
- Print ed.: 1973-- , Bus & Econ HD251A4931a
research results (U.S. HUD) Contains short summaries of
reports recently published under the auspices of HUD's Office of Policy
Development and Research.
Online ed.: 1995-- http://www.huduser.org:80/periodicals/rrr.html
- Print ed.: Current only; EnvDesign HD7293 A49 H6731c
Housing Institute) Full text bimonthly magazine.
Online ed.: 1994-- http://www.shelterforce.org/
- Print ed.: 1986-2004, EnvDesign HD7293 A1 S45
- U.S. housing markets, prepared by Advance Mortgage Corporation.
Detroit, MI: The Corporation. 1966--.
- EnvDesign HD7293 A1 U17 Periodical stacks
Organizations, Associations, Agencies
United States Organizations
Here are UC Berkeley libraries which support housing research.