This is a selective list of reference sources at UC Berkeley for transportation planning. In addition, visit the UC Berkeley Institute of Transportation Studies Library's (ITSL) website for information about their distinguished collection and useful transportation links. See also California Planning on the Internet for links to California transportation-related sites. For additional assistance consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
Finding Journal Articles
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only by using The Library's off-campus access services.
Compiled by Deborah Sommer. Content reviewed: June 2010
- External links (U.S. Research and Innovative Technology Administration, Bureau of Transportation Statistics) Includes links to regional and local transportation planning agencies and organizations.
Here's a selection of specialized dictionaries, bibliographies, and handbooks to help you get started on your transportation planning research.
- California transportation law: a guide to federal, state and regional requirements, by Jeremy G. March. Point Arena, CA: Solano Press, 2000.
- EnvDesign KFC787 M37 2000 Reference
- Cities and cars: a handbook of best practices, Roger L. Kemp, ed. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 2007.
- EnvDesign HE355 C53 2007; ITSL HE355 C53 2007; IGS 2007 0114
- Glossary of transit terminology. Peggy Glenn, comp. Washington, DC: American Public Transit Association, .
- EnvDesign HE141 A512 1994 Reference
- A Guidebook for performance-based transportation planning. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2000.
- ITSL TA1001.5 N3 no. 446
- North American public transport glossary, by Tom Parkinson and Ian Fisher. Interim draft version 3, July 1998. Vancouver, British Columbia: Transport Consulting Ltd., .
- ITSL Ref. Mass Transit
- Sprawl & the New Urbanism (UC Berkeley, Library) A selective bibliographic research guide to Internet sites and UC Berkeley library resources on sprawl and the New Urbansim.
- Traffic engineering handbook. Institute of Transportation Engineers; James L. Pline, ed. 5th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1999. Covers sources on the principles and proven techniques in the practice of traffice engineering. Companion volume to Transportation planning handbook.
- EnvDesign & ITSL HE333 T68 1999
- Transit planning and research programs: an annotated bibliography, prepared by Marina Drancsak. Washington, DC: Federal Transit Administration, Office of Research, Demonstration and Innovation, .
- ITSL HE4451 A12 D76 1997
- Transportation planning handbook. John D. Edwards, Jr., ed. 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1999. Provides guidelines for the practicing transportation planning official. Companion volume to Traffic Engineering Handbook.
- EnvDesign HE152.5 T73 1999 Reference
- Urban public transportation glossary. Benita H. Gray, ed.; Subcommittee on Urban Public Transportation Terms, Committee ... Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board, 1989. Lists terms related to urban public transportation planning and operations, with brief definitions.
- EnvDesign HE141 U741 1989 Reference
- Urban transportation, by Catherine Cortelyou. Sources of information in transportation, part 9. 4th ed. Monticello, IL: Vance Bibliographies, . An annotated bibliography of 242 citations to books, directories, government publications, and other publications about urban transportation.
- EnvDesign HT166 A12 P8 no. 2886 Index
Here is a selected list of catalog subject terms which may be useful in searching the library catalogs. Check also for other useful subheadings, such as Bibliographies, Case Studies, History, Handbooks, etc.
Land use, Urban
Public works -- Management
Local transit AND Real estate development
Pedestrian facilities design
Transportation -- Finance
Transportation -- Planning
Transportation -- Planning -- Mathematical models
Transportation and state
Urban transportation -- Planning
Urban transportation policy -- [place name]
Finding Journal Articles
Use journal and newspaper indexes and databases to discover articles on your topic. Some online databases include full-text articles or the icon which may lead you to the full text elsewhere. In many cases, however, you will need to locate the print journal in the Library's collections; search Melvyl by the journal title in order to find the shelving location and call number for the journal. For UCB Only or UC Only titles go to The Library's home page →Find Information →Articles.
- General city planning and social policy indexes also include articles on transportation planning. For additional journal article indexes see City Planning Indexes & Abstracts.
- Alternative press index and archive via FirstSearch/OCLC UCB Only- Covers roughly 380 alternative, radical, and left publications. Useful for identifying community-based and alternative public policy perspectives on housing, land use, the environment, etc., outside of the mainstream. Most journals aren't indexed elsewhere.
- Online ed.: 1969--; Print ed.: 1969--; Doe Stack HM101 A12 A55
- Business source complete via EBSCO UCB Only - Includes full text for more than 7,400 scholarly business journals and other sources, as well as country economic reports from the EIU, CountryWatch, etc. Great source for information on community economic development, housing development, redevelopment, and related issues.
- Coverage: 1965--
- Civil Engineering Database. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Indexes all ASCE publications including journals, conferences, books, standards and manuals. Book records date from the early 1900s. Note that civil engineers at one time functioned as city planners, particularly in the civil engineering practice of municipal engineering.
- Coverage: 1956--
- Compendex via Engineering Village 2 UCB Only - Indexes more than 4,500 journals, conference proceedings, and books in a broad range of engineering and construction topics, including civil engineering. Quick Guide to Compendex (PDF)
- Online ed.: 1884-- ; Print ed.: 1892/95-- ; Engin T1E51 Abstracts
- History of science, technology, and medicine via FirstSearch/OCLC UCB Only - Indexes books, journals, proceedings, and dissertations worldwide about research in the history of science, medicine, technology, and related fields.
- Coverage: 1976--
- Index to current urban documents UCB Only - NY: Greenwood Press. The key national resource for local government publications of the U.S. Excellent source of local transportation planning and policy information. Online edition contains citations and full text (PDF format).
- Online ed.: 2000-- ; available from the Library's Government Information Sources - California/Regional page; Print ed.: 1972--; EnvDesign JS13 A12M85 Index; Index & full-text documents on microfiche in the Institute of Governmental Studies Library.
- IngentaConnect UCB Only - Provides full-text access to domestic and international scholarly & academic publications.
- Coverage: Varies
- INSPEC via Ovid UCB Only- Covers the core literature of the engineering field, including related architectural specialties and technologies, in over 5,000 journals and conference proceedings. Includes abstracts. Guide to INSPEC (PDF).
- Coverage: 1969--
- -----. INSPEC Archive: 1898-1968.
- Journal of planning literature UCB Only - Columbus, OH: Sage Publications, Inc. Indexes 400+ journals and provides comprehensive coverage of the city and regional planning literature, including transportation planning.
- Online ed.: 2000-- ; Print ed.: 1985/86-- ; EnvDesign NA9000 J687 Index
- NTRL (National Technical Reports Library) - NTRL is the gateway to indexes, abstracts, and technical reports of the National Technical Information Service (NTIS). Especially good for construction and related technical architectural information. Indexes and archives US government-sponsored research and worldwide scientific, technical, engineering, and business-related information from 1964 to present. Central source for the sale of unclassified and publicly available information from research reports, journal articles, data files, computer programs and audio-visual products from Federal sources. Information from other international government departments and organizations including those from Canada, Japan, the former Soviet Union, Western and Eastern European countries is also available. Some full text.
- ScienceDirect via ElsevierUCB Only - Provides access to the full text of more than 1,000 scientific, medical and technical journals published by the world's leading scientific publishers.
- Coverage: Varies
- TRID: the TRIS and ITRD database. A newly integrated database that combines the records from the Transportation Research Board's Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) Database and the OECD's Joint Transport Research Centre’s International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) Database. TRID provides access to over 900,000 records of transportation research worldwide. A comprehensive bibliographic database of transportation research information. Includes some full-text publications. Covers literature from the 1960s to the present, with some coverage of prior years. Highway Research Board publications are covered back to 1923.
- Print equivalents:
- Highway research abstracts, 1967--. Abstracts of journal articles, papers, and reports. Topics include planning, land use, and environmental design.
- ITSL TE1 H2 Index
- Transit research abstracts, 1982--. Journal article abstracts and research project summaries on many dimensions of public transit. Topics include transit planning, policy and programs, and, land use.
- ITSL HE308 A1 U83 Index
- Web of science UCB Only - Includes the Science Citation Index, which indexes 5,300 major journals across 164 science disciplines (coverage: 1945--) and the Social Sciences Citation Index, which indexes 1,700 journals across 50 social science disciplines, as well as individually selected items from over 3,300 leading scientific and technical journals. Also offers cited reference searching.
- Coverage: Varies
Here are UC Berkeley and local libraries which support transportation research.