Community Economic Development Online
*This guide is not being maintained at this time.*
Community Economic Development Online lists more than
50 web sites pertaining to community and economic development, as
well as rural development. This list has a U.S. and California emphasis,
and reflects the interests of researchers in the UC Berkeley, College of
Environmental Design. For additional assistance please consult the Environmental Design Library reference staff, 210 Wurster Hall.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked UCB Only or UC Only by using The Library's
Content reviewed: July 2005. Compiled by Deborah Sommmer.
Economic Development (U.S. HUD) Part of HUD's U.S. State & Local Gateway. Links to many funding, regulatory, and other
Journal of the Community Development Society - UCB Only Site includes abstracts of articles (1995-present) and a cumulative index (1990-1996). A paper copy of the Journal of the Community Development Society
is available in the Environmental Design Library, EnvDesign HT51 C635.
National Main Street Center (Natl. Trust for Historic Preservation) Includes descriptions of NTHP programs supporting the revitalization of communities and neighborhoods, as well as a variety of web links.
Listed here are general bibliographies on community economic development. Additional bibliographies are listed elsewhere in this document, by topic.
Telecommunications & Technology
- Community Technology Center's Network (CTCN) Members include "more than 1000 independent community technology centers where people get free or low-cost access to computers and computer-related technology." Useful links and publications. See the next item for an example.
- Digital Divide Network (Benton Foundation) Includes information on economic development projects and international impacts.
- Falling through the Net: The U.S. National Telecommunications and
Information Administration is publishing a series of analytical and statistical reports on what's
popularly known as the "digital divide" between the technology haves and have-nots. The reports are
good sources for data on technology use, ownership, and access, by such socioeconomic variables as
race, income, household type, etc.
- Falling through the net: a survey of the "have nots" in rural and urban America. Washington, DC: U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration, .
- Falling through the net II:
new data on the digital divide. 2nd report. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Telecommunications and Information Administration, .
- Falling through the net: defining the digital divide: a report on the telecommunications and information technology gap in America. 3rd report. Washington, DC: U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration, .
- Print ed.: EnvDesign QA76 F34 1999
- Falling through the net: toward digital inclusion: a report on Americans' access to technology tools. 4th report. Washington, DC: U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration, 2000.
- High technology and low-income communities: prospects for the positive use of advanced information technology -
UCB Only, Donald A. Schon, Bish Sanyal, William J. Mitchell, ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1999.
- Print ed.: EnvDesign & Main T58.5 H55 1999
- LARTA (Los Angeles Regional Technology Alliance) Organization's mission: to strengthen, inform, network and promote Southern California's technology community worldwide.
- New Community Networks - Bibliography (Seattle Community Network) Contains approximately 300 citations to books related to community networks and telecommunications technology.
- TechVentures Network The San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley's regional technology alliance.
- UK Communities Online "Aims to address issues of sustainability, social inclusion and healthier economies by focussing on the use of new communications technologies in localities." Includes links to European sites related to community networking.
University / Community Partnerships
- Military Base Revitalization (State of California) Includes major
information nodes for military base reuse, doing business in California, and jobs, education, and training. Includes links to the California Office of Military Base Retention and Reuse, California Economic Diversification and Revitalization (CEDAR), and the Local Agency Military Base Recovery Act (LAMBRA) program.
Organizations & Networks
- California Association for Local Economic Development Includes many useful web links.
- Center for Neighborhood Technology Non-profit organization supporting sustainable community economic development. Chicago regional focus; national
- Community Development Society CDS is a "professional association offering a global perspective on community development." Site includes cumulative index and abstracts of the Journal of the Community Development Society.
- COMM-ORG: The On-Line Conference on Community Organizing and Development (University of Wisconsin, Department of Community and Environmental Sociology) Site includes information for subscribing to the COMM-ORG listserv, publications information, as well as academic resources (e.g., syllabi), web links, and resources for organizers.
- Economic Development Alliance for Business Economic development organization serving the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area), providing assistance with site location, financing, regulatory coordination, workforce,and a number of business climate issues. Includes statistical profiles of East Bay cities.
- International Economic Development Council Formed by the merger of the Council for Urban Economic Development and the American Economic Development Council.
- Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation A private, non-profit organization established in 1981 with the mission to attract, retain and grow businesses and jobs in the Los Angeles region. Web site includes links to many other regional economic development organizations in Southern California.
- Mission Economic Development Association A community-based, local economic development corporation located in the Mission District of San Francisco.
- National Association for County Community & Economic Development An affiliate of the National Association of Counties
- National Association of Development Organizations Provides training, information and representation for regional development organizations in small metropolitan and rural America.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- NeighborWorks® Net (Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation) The NRC was established in 1978 to revitalize declining lower-income communities and provide affordable housing for their residents. NeighborWorks® is a network of community-based organizations.
- PolicyLink "A national advocacy, research, capacity building, and communications organization." Works with community-building practitioners, national nonprofit organizations, etc., to build community and regional equity. Oakland-based.
- Rural and Small Town Programme (Mount Allison Univ., Canada) Site is international in scope, with a strong Canadian emphasis.
- Rural Community Assistance Corporation "Provides a wide range of housing and environmental services throughout the western U.S."
- Community Planning and Development (U.S. HUD) Sponsors Community Connections,
a clearinghouse for program regulations; model programs, case studies, publications on a variety of housing, community and economic development topics; funding information; training and conference announcements; and referrals to technical assistance providers.
- Empowerment Zones and Enterprise Communities (EZ/EC) (U.S. Dept. of Agriculture & U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development) Includes EZ/EC community home pages and various information resources.