Landscape Architecture Professional Practice
Landscape Architecture Professional Practice is a bibliographic research guide to UC Berkeley resources in the practice of landscape architecture. The intended audience is both UC Berkeley landscape architecture students and landscape architecture practitioners. Coverage includes general professional information, strategic research materials, and the practice of landscape architecture.
UC Berkeley faculty, registered students, and staff who are off campus may use items marked
UCB Only or UC Only by using the Library's
off-campus access services. For additional
assistance consult the Environmental
Design Library reference staff.
Compiled by Deborah Sommer. Content reviewed: June 2010
- Business law for landscape architects, by William E. Beery, [et
al.] Boston, MA: Pearson Custom Pub., 2002.
- EnvDesign KF889.3 B8378 2002
Environmental grantmaking foundations.
Rochester, NY: Environmental Data Research Institute.
EnvDesign GE80 E58 latest ed. Reference
- Financial management for design professionals: the path to profitability, by Steve L. Wintner and Michael Tardif. Chicago, IL: Kaplan AEC Education, 2007. Online
table of contents.
- EnvDesign TS171.4 W564 2007
LA law: copyrighting the work of landscape architects, by Andres F. Quintana. IN: Landscape
Architecture, v.96:1 (Jan. 2006).
- EnvDesign SB469 L3 Bound Periodicals
- Landscape design documentation: strategies for plan checking and
quality control, by Brian Thomas McDonald. Hoboken, NJ: J. Wiley, 2006. Online table of contents.
- EnvDesign SB472.45 M39 2006 CD Reserve; book in stacks
- Writing for design professionals: a guide to writing successful proposals, letters, brochures, portfolios, reports, presentations, and job applications for architects, engineers, and interior designers, by Stepen A. Kliment. NY: Norton, 2006.
- EnvDesign, Bus&Econ NA1996 K57 2006
- Are you certified?, by Daniel Jost, IN: Landscape Architecture, v.99:7 (July 2009), pp.38-53. Discusses certification options for landscape architects.
- EnvDesign SB469 L3 Bound periodicals
- Council of Landscape
Architecture Registration Boards
- Landscape Architects Technical Committee
(California Architects Board) Includes current licensure examination information for
California and information for licensed landscape architects.
- Landscape architecture registration examination: a guide for
professional development, Virginia L. Russell, ed.
Washington, DC: ASLA Press, 1999.
- EnvDesign SB469.4 L36 1999
- LARE review:
- Section A, Practice problems: project & construction administration,
EnvDesign SB469.6 M38 2007
- Section B, practice problems: inventory, analysis,
& program development, EnvDesign SB469.6 C54 2007
- Section C, Sample exam: site design, EnvDesign fSB469.6 R69 2007
- Section D, Practice problems: design & construction documentation,
EnvDesign SB469.6 S94 2007 Noncirculating
- LEEDPASS: LEED 2.2 exam study guideline and 400 practice questions, by Shawn Shahfar.
Encino, CA: PARSTEC Co., 2007.
- TH880 .S52 2007 Reference
Job hunting in planning, architecture, & landscape architecture (UC Berkeley, Library) An annotated guide to online and print
information for job hunting in the professions of city & regional planning, architecture, landscape architecture, and
environmental planning. Another excellent campus resource is the UC Berkeley Career Center, 2440 Bancroft Way, which offers career and graduate school
counselling to UC Berkeley students and access to a comprehensive career planning and graduate school resource center.
- Clueing in: learn how to get your projects published, by Jo Kellum. IN: Landscape architecture, v.92:7 (July 2002), pp.54, 56-59.
- EnvDesign SB469 L3 Bound journal stacks
- How to market design consultancy services: finding, winning, keeping, and developing clients, by
Shan Preddy. 2nd ed. Burlington, VT: Gower, 2004. International in scope; offers guidance on marketing
strategies and plans. Twenty-five leading design companies offer their experiences.
- EnvDesign NK1173 P74 2004
- Marketing and selling design services: the designer client relationship, by Mary V. Knackstedt,
with Laura J. Haney. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1993.
- EnvDesign NK2116.2 K58 1993
- Writing for design professionals: a guide to writing successful proposals, letters, brochures, portfolios,
reports, presentations, and job applications for architects, engineers, and interior designers, by
Stephen A. Kliment. NY: W.W. Norton, 1998.
- EnvDesign NA1996 K57 1998
Competitions & Awards
To find information on specific awards and competitions, search the Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals. Note also that professional journals sometimes regularly list open competitions, e.g., Topos, or feature award-winning projects, e.g., Urban Land.
- ASLA honors and awards (American Society for Landscape Architecture)
- CELA awards (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture)
- Competitions Journal features competition results from architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning competitions.
- EnvDesign NA2335 C667 Unbound & bound periodicals
- National Design Awards--Landscape Design
- Open competitions Lists open competitions in architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning.
For a more extensive list of professional organizations, see
Landscape Architecture Online.
Here are some tools to find additional information about landscape professional practice, especially landscape architecture
Construction glossary: an encyclopedic reference and manual. 2nd ed. NY:
- EnvDesign TH9 S78 1993 Reference Desk
- Encyclopedia of construction methods & materials, by William P.
Spence. NY: Sterling Pub., 2000.
- EnvDesign TH9 S64 2000 Reference
- Encyclopedia of gardens: history and design, Candice A.
Shoemaker, ed. 3 volumes. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001--.
- EnvDesign SB465 E63 2001 v.1-3 Reference Desk
Illustrated dictionary of building materials and techniques:
an invaluable sourcebook of the tools, terms, materials, and techniques
used by building professionals. Blue Ridge Summit, PA: TAB Books, 1993.
- EnvDesign TH9 B466 1993 Reference
Lexicon of garden and landscape architecture, by Meto J. Vroom.
Boston: Birkhauser-Publishers for Architecture, 2006. Contains short illustrated articles on landscape architecture
concepts and practices.
- EnvDesign SB469.25 V76 2006 Reference Desk
- Spanish phrases for landscaping professionals, by Jason Holben and
Dominic Arbini. Denver, CO: Stock Pot Pub., 2001.
- EnvDesign PC4120 L35 H65 2001 Reference
Topical Research Guides
science resources (UC Berkeley, Library)
A selected guide to the literature of building systems, performance measurement,
technology, materials etc. Includes basic research tools, historical sources,
and strategies for finding materials at UC Berkeley and on the web.
Sustainable Design Resources: information sources (UC
Berkeley, Library) A selected research guide to Internet and library
resources on ecological design. Includes "green" materials and construction
Here are some selected subject terms which you can use
to search for subjects in the library catalogs, and which may also be helpful in searching periodical indexes. Search for names of specific building materials or specific types of garden structures, e.g.: Arcades (Architecture); try combining terms,
e.g.: landscape gardening AND streets. Most
of these headings can be modified with addition of some useful stock phrases,
e.g.: Case studies; Design & construction; Environmental
aspects; Handbooks, manuals; Standards.
Building, Iron and steel
Stone in landscape gardening
Building sites, Planning
Garden ornaments and furniture
Landscape architecture for the physically handicapped
Roadside rest areas
Signs and signboards
Stormwater retention basins
Finding Journal Articles
In addition to the indexes listed here, many useful general
databases can be usedto locate articles in a variety of both popular
and scholarly journals, as well as newspapers; see
The Library's home page for lists of indexes available on the web and
cd-rom; under Find Information select
Articles. Note that prior to the 1980s most indexes are available in
print only. See also Landscape
Architecture Indexes & Abstracts for a list of journal
article indexes for landscape architecture.
The Architectural index.
Boulder, CO: E. Bell. Annual. Indexes Landscape Architecture and
several architecture titles.
Online ed.: 1982--; print ed.: 1950--; EnvDesign NA8 A7 Index
publications index (Royal Institute of British Architects) London: RIBA Publications. International
in scope with a British emphasis.
Online ed.: 1984--; print ed.: Aug. 1972--; EnvDesign NA8 A73 Index
Art index retrospective &
Art full text via WilsonWeb - UC Only
Indexes journal articles in art and related fields, including architecture,
art history, city planning, urban design, and landscape architecture.
- Online ed.: Art Index Retrospective: 1929-1984; Art full text:1984--; print ed.: 1929-1994;
EnvDesign N18 A72 Index
Avery index to architectural periodicals via CSA -
Contains citations to articles in 1,000+ periodicals in architecture, planning, urban design, and related disciplines.
Online ed.: 1890--; print ed.: 1890-1995; EnvDesign fNA8 C64 1973 Index
Business source complete via
EBSCO - UCB Only
Includes full-text for more than 7,400 scholarly business journals and
other sources. Great source for information on community economic
development, housing development, redevelopment, and related issues.
- Coverage: 1965--.
Compendex via Engineering Village 2 - UCB Only | Guide The electronic version of Engineering Index.
Citations and abstracts for more than 4,500 journals, conference proceedings,
and books in a broad range of engineering and construction topics.
Online ed.: 1970--; print ed.: 1892/95--; ENGI T1E51 Abstracts
Construction index. 1987-1997. Indexes journal articles
in construction and building design. Use Thesaurus (Supplement)
to convert CSI subject headings to alphabetical, English language terms.
EnvDesign TH1 C66 Index
FS Info (U.S. Forest Service) Contains records for journal articles,
books, book chapters, research papers, maps, and audiovisual media on topics
related to forestry, including parks and aspects of landscape architecture. The system is maintained by the U.S. Forest Service.
of science, technology, and medicine via Eureka/RLG -
Contains citations from journal articles, conference proceedings, books,
book reviews, and dissertations in the history of science, the history
of technology, and allied historical fields in a variety of languages. Subjects covered include construction, engineering, and town planning.
Web of science:
Science citation index expanded -
A multidisciplinary database, with searchable
author abstracts, covering the journal literature of the sciences. Indexes
8,000 major journals across 164 scientific disciplines.
Online ed.: 1973--; print ed.: 1945/54--; Bioscience Q151 A12 S36 Index Area
- Landscape design: theory and application, by Ann Marie VanDerZanden and Steven N. Rodie. Clifton Park, NY: Delmar Learning, 2008. Online table of contents.
EnvDesign SB472.45 V364 2008
- Residential landscape architecture: design process for the private residence, by Norman K. Booth and James E. Hiss. Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson Prentice Hall, 2008. Online table of contents.
EnvDesign SB472.45 V364 2008
- Residential landscape sustainability: a checklist tool, by Carl Smith, Andy Clayden, and Nigel Dunnett. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub., 2008. Online table of contents.
EnvDesign SB472.45 C59 2007
Site Planning & Furnishings
Environmental planning for site development: a manual
for sustainable local planning and design, by Anne R. Beer and Catherine
Higgins. 2nd ed. NY: E & FN Spon, 2000.
NA2540.5 B44 2000
A Guide to site planning and landscape construction,
by Harvey M. Rubenstein. 4th ed. NY: John Wiley, 1996.
EnvDesign NA2540.5 R83 1996
Landscape architecture: a manual of site planning and
design, by John Ormsbee Simonds. 3rd ed. NY: McGraw-Hill,
EnvDesign SB472 S58 1997
- Measuring landscapes: a planner's handbook, by Andre Botequilha Leitao, [et al.].
Washington, DC: Island Press, 2006. Online
table of contents. Handbook of landscape metrics.
- EnvDesign QH541.15 L35 M43 2006
Site engineering for landscape architects, by Steven
Strom, Kurt Nathan. 4th ed. NY: John Wiley, 2004. Online
EnvDesign TH375 S77 2004
- Site furnishings: a complete guide to the planning, selection and use of landscape furniture and amenities / Bill Main and Gail Greet Hannah. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
EnvDesign NA9052 M25 2010
Site planning, by Kevin Lynch, Gary Hack. 3rd
ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.
EnvDesign NA9031 L94 1984
Site planning and design handbook, by Thomas H. Russ.
NY: McGraw-Hill, 2002. See especially Chapter 1: Sustainability and Site Design.
- EnvDesign NA2540.5 R87 2002
See the section on Standards
for graphic standards.
Architect's handbook of construction detailing, by
David Kent Ballast. [2nd ed.] Washington, DC: BNI Publications, 2000.
Includes a bibliography and list of standards.
EnvDesign TH2031 B35 2000 Reference
- Digital drawing for landscape architecture: contemporary techniques and tools for digital representation in site design, by Bradley Cantrell and Wes Michaels. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
EnvDesign SB475.9 D37 C36 2010
Drawing basics, by Jacklyn St. Aubyn.
Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1998.
EnvDesign NC730 S78 1998
Format for building detailing, by Fred Bishrat.
San Mateo, CA: Western Book/Journal Pr., 1990. See Part 2: Site work.
EnvDesign NA2840 B57 1990 Reference
Landscape construction and detailing, by Alan Blanc.
NY: McGraw-Hill, 1996.
EnvDesign TH4961 B56 1996
Landscape detailing, by Michael Littlewood.
3rd ed. 4 vols. Boston: Butterworth Architecture, 1993-1997.
v.1: Enclosure, v.2: Surfaces, v.3: Structures, v.4: Water
EnvDesign TH4965 L58 1993 v.1-4
Landscape graphics: plan, section, and perspective drawing of landscape spaces, by Grant W. Reid.
NY: Watson-Guptill, 2002.
EnvDesign SB476.4 R45 2002
Masonry design and detailing: for architects and contractors, by Christine Beall.
5th ed. NY: McGraw-Hill,
EnvDesign TA670 B42 2004 Reference
- Plan graphics for the landscape designer: with section-elevation
and computer graphics, by Tony Bertauski. 2nd ed.
Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2007.
- EnvDesign SB472.47 B47 2007
Alternative construction: contemporary natural building
methods, Lynne Elizabeth and Cassandra Adams, eds. NY:
EnvDesign TH146 A48 2005
Architect's portable handbook: first step rules of thumb
for building design, by Pat Guthrie. 3rd ed. NY: McGraw-Hill,
2003. See Part 2: Site & Landscape.
EnvDesign NA2750 G87 2003 Reference
Architectural stone: fabrication, installation, and selection,
by Mark Chacon. NY: Wiley, 1999.
EnvDesign TA426 C45 1999
Building construction illustrated, by Francis D.K.
Ching and Cassandra Adams. 3rd ed. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold,
EnvDesign TH146 C52 2001 Reserve & Reference
Concrete and masonry databook, by Christine Beall, Rochelle Jaffe. NY:
McGraw-Hill, 2003. See especially Section: Site and Landscape Elements.
- EnvDesign TH1461 B42 2003 Reference
- Constructing landscape: materials, techniques, structural components, Astrid Zimmermann, ed. Boston: Birkhäuser, 2009.
EnvDesign SB472.3 C66 2009
Handbook of landscape architectural construction. 2nd ed. 4 vols. Washington, DC:
Landscape Architecture Foundation, 1985.
EnvDesign TH153 H365 1985 Reserve & Reference
The HOK guidebook to sustainable design, by Sandra
Mendler, William Odell, Mary Ann Lazarus. 2nd ed. NY: J. Wiley, 2006.
EnvDesign NA2542.36 M46 2006
Landscape architecture construction, by Harlow C.
Landphair. 3rd ed. NY: Elsevier, 1999.
EnvDesign TH153 L29 1999 Reference & circulating
Landscape construction, by David Sauter. Albany, NY: Delmar Publishers, 2000.
- EnvDesign TH380 S26 2000
LEED reference guide for new construction & major renovations
(LEED-NC), version 2.1. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Green Building Council,
- EnvDesign TH6025 L44 2003 On 2 hour Reserve
Sustainable landscape construction: a guide to green building outdoors , by William Thompson and Kim Sorvig. [2nd ed.]. Washington: Island Press, 2008.
EnvDesign TH380 T46 2008
- Soil design protocols for landscape architects and contractors, by Timothy A. and Phillip J. Craul. Hoboken, NJ: J. Wiley, 2006.
Online table of contents.
- EnvDesign SB472.45 C73 2006
- Urban construction project management, by Richard Lambeck and John Eschemuller. NY: McGraw-Hill, 2009.
- EnvDesign HD9715.8 A2 L36 2009
- Weathering and durability in landscape architecture: fundamentals, practices, and case studies, by Niall Kirkwood. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley, 2004. Online
table of contents.
- EnvDesign SB472 K58 2004
Wood in the landscape: a practical guide to specification
and design, by Daniel M. Winterbottom. NY: John Wiley, 2000.
EnvDesign TH4961 W557 2000
Product Specifications & Trade Literature
Arcat: a directory of over
... building product manufacturers: a collection of catalogs from quality
manufacturers. Fairfield, CT: The Architect's Catalog, Inc.
Includes 7100+ manufacturers' catalogs of building products, including
site construction materials. Organized by CSI classification. http://arcat.com/
Print ed.: EnvDesign HD9715.8 A73 latest ed.
Bay Area-build it green: green product directory
Lists suppliers of 'green' products, located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Green product information (Iris Communications, Inc.) Trade catalogs of green building products. Primarily architectural applications, but includes some landscape materials.
GreenSpec-listed green building products (BuildingGreen, Inc.).
Online trade catalogs and product information
for environmentally responsible building products, including sitework, landscaping, decking, and outdoor structures. Includes selected product-related full-text articles from
Environmental Building News.
GreenSpec directory. Brattleboro, VT: BuildingGreen, Inc. Print version of GreenSpec-listed green building products,
without magazine articles.
- EnvDesign TA403.6 G74 Latest edition Reference
LEED ™ reference manual, Washington, DC: U.S. Green Building
Council. Book includes the LEED™
(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system, and brief case studies.
- EnvDesign TA170 L44 2001 Reference; CD-ROM Permanent Reserve
Masterspec specifications [electronic resource], the American Institute of Architects.
[Salt Lake City, UT]: The Institute, 2002. Sample specifications
primarily for architects; includes civil and structural engineering, sections
on landscape work, sitework, paving, etc.
EnvDesign TH425 M38 Reserve
Sweet's network. NY:
McGraw-Hill. Compilation of manufacturers' catalogs of building and landscape architecture products.
Often includes product
specifications. Uses the CSI classification. http://products.construction.com/
- Print ed. (Sweet's): EnvDesign TH455 S7864 Reference, Current only; Product profiles and directory-ASLA):
EnvDesign SB469.33 L36 Reference
- Landscape estimating methods, by Sylvia H. Fee.
5th ed., updated. Kingston, MA: R.S. Means Co., 2007.
- EnvDesign SB472.565 F44 2007 Reference Desk
- Site work & landscape cost data, RS Means.
Kingston, MA: R.S. Means Co., 1997--.
- EnvDesign TH435 M437 Latest ed. Reference; earlier eds. noncirculating
- Spon's landscape and external works price book. 22nd ed.
London: E & FN Spon, 2003. British.
- EnvDesign SB472.565 S663 CD-ROM on Reserve; latest ed. in Reference
The Regulatory Environment
- California. Board of Landscape Architects. Statutes,
rules & regulations. Sacramento: State of California, Dept.
of Consumer Affairs, Board of Landscape Architects, 1992.
EnvDesign KFC547 L35 A25 1992 Reference & circulating
CEQA, California Environmental Quality Act: statutes and
guidelines. Sacramento: Governor's Office of Planning and Research,
Office of Permit Assistance, .
EnvDesign KFC610 A333 A2 1992 Reference
Guide to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
Sharon Duggan, Jim Moose and Tina Thomas. Berkeley: Solano Press, 1987--;
annual. Overview of existing requirements for adequate environmental review.
Included are an examination of the statute, implementing guidelines and
current case law, as well as an appendix with case summaries of cases most
often citied" and text of statutes.
EnvDesign KFC610 A336 A2 Reference
Land use law, by Daniel R. Mandelker. 3rd ed. Charlottesville,
VA: Michie Co., 1993.
EnvDesign KF5698 M29 1993 Noncirculating
- Laws and
regulations, California Architects Board,
Landscape Architects Technical Committee. Includes current laws and regulations, legislative updates, proposed regulatory changes.
- Redevelopment: planning, law, and project implementation: a guide for practitioners, Brian W. Blaesser and Thomas P. Cody, eds. Chicago: ABA Section of State and Local Government Law, 2008. Online table of contents.
- EnvDesign KF5730 R43 2008
- Regulation of landscape architecture and the protection of public
health, safety, and welfare, produced by Alex P. Schatz. [S.l.: s.n.], 2003.
- EnvDesign SB476 R44 2003
U.S. environmental laws, Wallis E. McClain, Jr., ed.
Washington, DC: The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., 1991. Presents
text of major U.S. environmental laws, for example, Clean Air Act,
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Endangered Species Act, NEPA.
EnvDesign KF3775 A3 1991 Reference
U.S. landscape ordinances: an annotated reference handbook,
by Buck Abbey. NY: J. Wiley, 1998.
EnvDesign KF5692 Z95 A23 1998 Reference
Architectural graphic standards. NY: Wiley.
EnvDesign TH2031 R3 Latest ed. Reserve; Reference
- California Landscape Standards Committee. CLS, California
landscape standards. Sacramento: California Landscape Contractors
EnvDesign SB472.535 C2 C3 1989 Reference & circulating
- Graphic standards for landscape architecture, by Richard
L. Austin, [et al.]. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1986.
EnvDesign SB472 G731 1986
- International environmental standards handbook via ENVIROnetBASE - UC Only by
Scott S. Olson. Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers, 1999.
- Print ed.: EnvDesign GE300 O38 1999 Reference
Landscape architectural graphic standards, Leonard J. Hopper,
editor-in-chief. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
Online table of contents.
- EnvDesign SB472 L36 2007 Reserve
- The Secretary of the Interior's standards for the treatment
of historic properties: with guidelines for the treatment of cultural landscapes,
Charles A. Birnbaum, ed., with Christine Capella Peters. Washington,
D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Interior, National Park Service, Cultural Resource
Stewardship and Partnerships, Heritage Preservation Services, Historic
Landscape Initiative, 1996.
EnvDesign NA106 W44 1996 Reference
Time-saver standards for landscape architecture: design
and construction data, co-eds., Charles W. Harris, Nicholas T. Dines.
2nd ed. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1998.
EnvDesign SB475.9 S72 T55 1998 Reserve, Reference, circulating
Time-saver standards for site planning, Joseph De
Chiara, Lee E. Koppelman. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1984.
EnvDesign NA2540.5 D4 1984 Reserve & Reference
Time-saver standards: site construction details manual,
by Nicholas T. Dines & Kyle D. Brown. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1999.
EnvDesign NA2540.5 D56 1999